Singapore Expats

Decent Web Hosting in Singapore

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
mrdodge
Regular
Regular

Decent Web Hosting in Singapore

Post by mrdodge » Fri, 04 Nov 2005 1:51 am

Hi all,

Looking for a cheap web hosting company. I really just want to put up a few photos etc of our baby so the in-laws in NZ can see them, so I am not after anything too complex.

Just want a reasonable service and good support.

Any recommendations ?

Cheers

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

Web Host

Post by Scorpion » Fri, 04 Nov 2005 2:59 am

Halo, there are lots advertised in the daily classified papers.

Most of them are good, the montly rental rate for an 500mb-1gb disk space would be 15-10S$ per month approx. Some time with bargain can get it cheap also. It would also require to purchase a domian name that you can select and has to be purchased on an yearly basis.

But if you are looking to host some photos only. there are lots of free service available on the internet that includes yahoo, google, kodak etc.

cheers. :cool:
When u Need Someone to Be Beside u And No One Is Around Just Gaze Up In The Sky,u Might Not See Me But Be Sure That We r Under The Same Sky,I wl'd Never B 2 Far....

mrdodge
Regular
Regular

Post by mrdodge » Fri, 04 Nov 2005 11:37 am

Hi,

Thanks.

I guess I can scan the ads - i was wonderring if people had personal recommendations of particular firms - ones to stay away from in particular. i don't want to sign up for a yearly contract, say, and discover that there is no service.

And yes, i am aware of the free sites, however there are limitations wrt size and availability that i am willing to pay to overcome.

Cheers

uncle_james
Regular
Regular

Post by uncle_james » Sat, 05 Nov 2005 3:52 am

You can try one of the largest hosting company in singapore : WebVision

http://www.webvision.com.sg/businessxpress/bx.html

according to this webpage, you have to pay up about SD180 for 120Mb & 6 months

NOTE: the above plan is more suitable for business usage

For personal usage, you can try telco promotions:
1. http://www.pacific.net.sg/consumer/PacP ... e%20Space/ (SD5.20 for 20Mb)

2. http://www.singnet.com.sg/promotions/index.asp (1GB for first 3 month free, SD88 per month+ free 30Gb of ipod)

You have to find out your needs and your budget first...
: )

zenwolf26

Post by zenwolf26 » Sun, 20 Nov 2005 2:21 am

Comparatively US hosting are much cheaper. But again if you only want to host images, a lot of free service out there. For example, ImageShack etc :)

=============================================
Trading Has Never Been Easier!
Earn 3.0% daily | Free $10.00 SignUp | Earn 2% Daily |
Autosurf 4 $ | Up to $200 daily

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

local

Post by Scorpion » Wed, 23 Nov 2005 3:04 am

try with http://www.sghosting.net/

this is a local company providing the service in s$ and with a local customer support.

cheers
When u Need Someone to Be Beside u And No One Is Around Just Gaze Up In The Sky,u Might Not See Me But Be Sure That We r Under The Same Sky,I wl'd Never B 2 Far....

rheo

Post by rheo » Mon, 28 Nov 2005 3:08 pm

it will only cost 60-100 plus for a normal website with more than enough space.

The other one which costs 180 is too much

Jedi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jedi » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 3:35 pm

Local hosts are very expensive. I use a US one that is quite cheap.

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

Not all

Post by Scorpion » Fri, 02 Dec 2005 9:07 pm

There are some decent one, which provide with the same cost of the US. but as far for the support its better to have a local one for.. :)

sharm

Post by sharm » Thu, 08 Dec 2005 3:50 am

Hello :)

I've had my site hosted by both local and US based hosting companies before. Personally, I prefer some of the US based ones, as they are far more cost effective. You may want to try www.godaddy.com or www.bluehost.com and to check out the rates/services.

I prefer www.bluehost.com for it's ease of installing softwares (such as forum and photo gallery applications) using Fantastico. Very fast!

Local wise, you may want to try www.acidprint.com (excellent service) or www.8.to They're a bit more expensive though.

Hope that helps :)
TeamFitnessBootcamp.com / FitnessBootcamp.sg

fairy12

Post by fairy12 » Sat, 03 Mar 2012 6:43 pm

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sat, 03 Mar 2012 8:01 pm

Well I'm not going near them after my WOT (Web Of Trust) filter showed their site as having a very poor reputation for trustworthiness, vendor reliability, etc. In the circumstances I'd suggest that the above post is removed.

Edit: Well it seems Mr/Ms fairy has now removed the offending link and now we have a dodgy looking animation. All decidedly dubious IMO.
Be careful what you wish for

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 03 Mar 2012 8:15 pm

Mi Amigo wrote: Edit: Well it seems Mr/Ms fairy has now removed the offending link and now we have a dodgy looking animation. All decidedly dubious IMO.
I think that is a Mod having a bit of fun, implying the post was spam and "blown up"

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 03 Mar 2012 10:44 pm

Yep, we all have our signature pieces we like to roll out on occasion. The animation one is Nak's, I use the POOF! one and the nuclear blast mushroom cloud interchangably. Normally, though, I use used this button but you don't get to see it cause the post is gone! :lol:

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sun, 04 Mar 2012 11:59 am

Aha. Thanks for clarifying.

Nak, no offence about your animation man; it just looked suspicious to me. What's that book by the Intel guy? Only the Paranoid Survive!
Be careful what you wish for