Singapore Expats

Cycling in Singapore

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!

Is it safe to use the roads in Singapore to cycle? (to work)

Poll ended at Tue, 06 Dec 2005 10:40 am

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes: 4

marky

Cycling in Singapore

Post by marky » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 10:40 am

Hello all,

Just interested to get your advice on cycling within Singapore. My family and I are relocating to Singapore in the new year from Australia. I am currently cycling to work and home a couple of days each week and one weekend ride with mates which takes in breakfast or at least coffee. I ride about 150 km in a week and would class myself as a keen but recreational cyclist. Don't mind the odd challenge to build myself up to (eg. equivalent of around the bay in a day here in Melbourne) but in the main it is about fun and fitness(and new friendships?). Given my cycling style what should I anticipate when I arrive in Singapore? Where does one ride? Do people cycle to work and if so is it safe? (I currently refuse to ride to work via road but choose tracks instead - is this an option in Singapore?) Also I have read about occassional rides into Malaysia - any experiences from anybody out there. Also as an aside and especially from the cycling enthusiasts, is there one shop above all others that excels in their pricing and service? I am likely to want to get a Giant (OCR2 or like.) Thanks for all your advice.

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Baron Greenback » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 10:51 am

Personally I do not cycle much in Singapore, with the heat & humidity it is a very sweaty affair. I do have friends that cycle a lot & from what I hear from them the commute by bike is a tad dangerous. There are no cycle lanes & driving skills here are not great so you really have to look out for yourself. Buses apparently are a nightmare & you will battle your way to work on a bike.

One the other hand there are many parks that have cycle lanes, the East Coast park is very popular with cyclist & rollerbladers. But Singapore is not a big place so if you cycle every weekend you will have covered all the parks in about a month.

Not sure about Malaysia, I knew of a keen cyclist who took his bike across the causeway & the guards were most confused about which lane he should go through, car, motorbike or pedestrian? People here are not good about thinking outside the rules - in the end he gave up & turned around.

Happy pedaling & have a look at this site: http://www.nparks.gov.sg/nparks_cms/dis ... p?parkid=9
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 11:15 am

Cycling to work? Definitely not.

You will be completely drenched after 5 minutes - if your work has shower faciliteis, then maybe.

Singaporeans, usually quite mild-mannered, turn into raging monsters when in their cars - cyclists are treated like bugs and it is NOT safe.

Generally cycling here is pleasant, yet hot, if you do it in the parks.

'nuff said Image

MangoCar
Regular
Regular

Post by MangoCar » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 11:19 am

We have a small cycling group here consisting of several expats. We like to cycle after work or on weekends. Feel free to join us when you arrive in Singapore. PM me for contact info if you are keen.
Cheers!

Wild Rover
Regular
Regular

Post by Wild Rover » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 1:35 pm

I can only echo the previous comments made here regarding road safety, attitude of drivers to cyclists, heat/humidity & the need for work shower etc. A lot depends on where you will be living/working, and if you can use the network of cycle paths etc. Otherwise it won't be much fun. As for the recreational cycling, I know of a few groups who go out early Sunday mornings when the roads are quieter and easily knock off 60-100 km routes in a few hours. I can put you in touch with these guys (one is my Irish work colleague) when you arrive if this sounds of interest, just drop me a PM.
What's worse, ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don't care

Kurt

Post by Kurt » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 3:30 pm

Wild Rover wrote:I can only echo the previous comments made here regarding road safety, attitude of drivers to cyclists, heat/humidity & the need for work shower etc. A lot depends on where you will be living/working, and if you can use the network of cycle paths etc. Otherwise it won't be much fun. As for the recreational cycling, I know of a few groups who go out early Sunday mornings when the roads are quieter and easily knock off 60-100 km routes in a few hours. I can put you in touch with these guys (one is my Irish work colleague) when you arrive if this sounds of interest, just drop me a PM.
I joined your Irish work colleague last Sunday, it was good fun indeed. There is a group of Road Bikers (no mountain bikes!) meeting every Sunday morning at 8.30am on Upper Thomson Rd, for anyone who happens to be interested. Many are quite professional, so not that easy to keep up, but they know the great routes in the West with harldy and traffic.
In summary, cycling is more recrational in SG, not suitable for going to work. I used to cycle to work for ca. 10 years 99% of days in Europe and Japan, and it was fine, but here it is just tooooo humid and hot. I do however manage to go about once a week or so (funny, people seem to be not getting that close to me in the office on those days), so it CAN be done. Let me know when you arrive in SG and we can catch up if you like.
cheers
Kurt

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Post by Carpe Diem » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 5:11 pm

Vaucluse wrote: cyclists are treated like bugs
Sorry to all cyclists but this comparison really made me laugh...

Vaucluse, here's what happens to the above mentioned bug when it meets the windscreen...

La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Post by madwolfie » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 5:13 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: