Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
mamom

pls tell me more..

Post by mamom » Mon, 28 Nov 2005 4:15 pm

hi,monagy3....can u tell me more abt it? u seems very smooth to get in there.....when u submit ur resume?

singaporegrrl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by singaporegrrl » Mon, 28 Nov 2005 4:36 pm

Plavt wrote: That is true but to expect every applicant to measure up to SIA expectations is illogical and ridiculous as well as unnecessary.
There should be no need for the constant screening of female applicants skin such as; after the swimming tests, putting the applicants hands under ultra-violet light, lifting their hair to examine their necks refusing them an position because of a temperorary rash (I know or two cases from this forum) that is brazen prejudice based on looks. Making them sign a contract in which they state they will not get pregnant within a certain term -whose business is that? There is little point to these exercises given the high turnover of female applicants. And yes the same may be said of male applicants for which I know little if anything of the selection procedure.

However, SIA makes a great deal of its 'Singapore Girl' image and that is certainly 'over the top', since the airline itself admits it uses young women to attract more passengers - presumably men. That places more demands on the girls than the men and may be thought of as sexist in some respects.

BTW - these practices are illegal in the UK, sorry but the airline is living in the past and Singaporean women themselves tell me 'they cannot challenge authority'.

Plavt.
Somehow I would have to agree. When I was in pri 4-6, my dad was handling this family business in Jakarta and throughout that 2 years, we only took Emirates and no other airlines. Some of them aren't that attractive but their friendly smiles are the main ingredients that lightened up the cabin environment of the airline. The service was indescribable although some of them aren't certificately educated. Emirates do not look at certificates but the experieces and personality of the applicants. Looks are the latter. I think SIA should learn from Emirates like how Dubai learnt from Singapore in the aspects of business. English conversational fluency don't come from certificates but from the individual. Some people could have an A1 or A2 in English for O Levels but they may not speak English that well. Some Singaporeans may well be educated to degree level but they actually speak Singlish. Reading from this thread, I still hear of newer Singapore Girls not speaking good English even though the qualification standard requirements have been increased. But who are we to go against the requirements of SIA?
Jangan tanya soalan merepek boleh tak?

monagy3

Re: pls tell me more..

Post by monagy3 » Mon, 28 Nov 2005 4:57 pm

mamom wrote:hi,monagy3....can u tell me more abt it? u seems very smooth to get in there.....when u submit ur resume?
lol..it was anything but smooth for me to get into this round...this is my 3rd time trying and only now ive managed to gt into the final round...but i still havent got thru the final round yet..so do keep your fingures crossed for me ya.. :D ..i applied online...keep checking their website and when the new recruitment exercise is on then u re apply...good luck in ur application... :wink: 8)
|[όμορφος]|

mamom

Post by mamom » Mon, 28 Nov 2005 7:45 pm

thanks....is ur 3rd times?really? isit very hard to get in? must do alot of home work rite..... :roll: isit they don mind ppl to reapply?but y this time u can managed to go for the final interview....pls share ur experience to me.......thanks...

monagy3

Post by monagy3 » Mon, 28 Nov 2005 11:28 pm

mamom wrote:thanks....is ur 3rd times?really? isit very hard to get in? must do alot of home work rite..... :roll: isit they don mind ppl to reapply?but y this time u can managed to go for the final interview....pls share ur experience to me.......thanks...
yep my 3rd time...i think i got in this time was partly becoz of my determinition to join and also pure luck(they also look for the extra advantage during ur 1st round)...coz during the 2nd round the interviewer asked me y i tried so many times..n i told her im determined to get in... :D so i told her ill keep trying till i get in...so she let me thru the 2nd round...the next day was kebaya check n water confidence test...all of us got thru...
|[όμορφος]|

lein

Post by lein » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 7:14 am

well the truth is that SIA really need stewardesses now and alot of the current cabiin crew were promoted...in this way they can actually bring in more new crew! well a friend from SIA told me that...as u can see comparative to a normal boeing-777 or 747 , an A380 is way too big! hee now that explains why so many crew is needed.

mamom

Post by mamom » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 2:04 pm

thanks monagy....by the way, how old r u? tomorrow is the tea party rite...must share with me after the party ya..

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 3:23 pm

Not being disrespectful here, but is fluency in English a pre-requisite?

One thing i don't quite get is that the positions are relatively highly paid, but the requirements placed on the staff are not stringent in equivalency.

Plavt, I believe that SQ has the right to choose the profile that they wish - not too different from IBm or the FBI actually.
You make it a free-for all then many more will b rejected - and you'll end up with the previously discussed and dissed US airlines scenario.
The minimum height requirement is quite obvious, so why are people hoping that it won't get noticed?
Weight requirement - how about vis-a-vis fitness? In case of an emergency the functions of the flight attendant are counted on in a physical sense.
Scars, acne and cosmetic inconsistencies I agree with - no big deal except for to keep the image of the Singapore Girl (though the majority of trolley dollys are not Singaporaen). For applicants who don't like this the answer is quit simple - don't apply. Sounds rough, but that's the way it is.

If an ad in the papers mentions that the applicant should be under 25 and female, why on earth would I want to go for that job and be upset when I am rejected - worse yet - get all high and mighty about it and criticise the company and the country?

Makes no sense to me . . .

'nuff said Image

@ngela

Enquiries

Post by @ngela » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 3:55 pm

Hi! i m new here, but i also very interested of being a cabin crew! does anyone noe wat do the interviewer usually test or check besides checking the body for any scars or imperfections? is it true tat those do not have straight teeth will be kick out immediately? and are we asked to wear the kebaya for checking only? coz i heard that some airlines need the gals to wear very short shorts and spatti! :roll:

N i hope that someone will inform mi whenever there is recuitment for any airline! thank you very much! :wink:

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Re: Enquiries

Post by Vaucluse » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 4:00 pm

@ngela wrote:Hi! i m new here, but i also very interested of being a cabin crew! does anyone noe wat do the interviewer usually test or check besides checking the body for any scars or imperfections? is it true tat those do not have straight teeth will be kick out immediately? and are we asked to wear the kebaya for checking only? coz i heard that some airlines need the gals to wear very short shorts and spatti! :roll:

N i hope that someone will inform mi whenever there is recuitment for any airline! thank you very much! :wink:

I rest my case - - - this is a perfect example.

'nuff said Image

monagy3

Post by monagy3 » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 4:33 pm

mamom wrote:thanks monagy....by the way, how old r u? tomorrow is the tea party rite...must share with me after the party ya..
im 23 :D my tea party is on friday 2nd Dec...i am really hoping id get thru it...but if i dont.ill still try my best to give u as much information as i can....
|[όμορφος]|

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 8:01 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
Plavt, I believe that SQ has the right to choose the profile that they wish - not too different from IBm or the FBI actually. You make it a free-for all then many more will b rejected

I wasn't advocating a free for all just stating that I think they go too far with their requirements. If a girl has a small scar, mole or tattoo is that going to make a difference to how she talks to passengers, serves the cuisine or handles an emergency? Besides given the high turnover I can see little point in being as stringent. If they must insist on good looks to suit their advertising materials then they have plenty of staff from which to choose and always will have. As for the number of rejections that has already been handled recently as SIA now requires 2 'A' level certificates from its cabin crew applicants. They do of course and quite rightly want people who are hygienic, presentable and resourceful.

Plavt.
Last edited by Plavt on Tue, 29 Nov 2005 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cranberriess

Post by cranberriess » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 8:38 pm

though SIA emphasise alot on looks, but i think it is in terms of grooming and the way one carry herself. if a lady has sacrs or any imperfection, she can still get into SIA as long as she can prove herself in the interview. she may have a mole, but has a pleasant personality, she get in too. there are a lot of such cases in SIA.
i really don't think SIA is as strict as what many said.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 9:21 pm

cranberriess wrote:though SIA emphasise alot on looks, but i think it is in terms of grooming and the way one carry herself. if a lady has sacrs or any imperfection, she can still get into SIA as long as she can prove herself in the interview. she may have a mole, but has a pleasant personality, she get in too. there are a lot of such cases in SIA.
i really don't think SIA is as strict as what many said.
Thank you for your contribution Cranberries, I have often wondered myself. I have met stewardesses whose faces are covered in acne (meaning no disrespect by mentioning it) and at least one with what I can only describe as a deformed eye. Possibly the airline cannot pick and choose the way it likes to as the it’s' expansion necessitates the need for more staff so people they would once have turned away are accepted. Best wishes to you and all who make the effort, just remember to think what a job involves and imagine yourself in that position - not entirely the answer I know but do some research.

Plavt.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 11:12 pm

I've also see quite a few FA's that were overweight, had acne and didn't fit the 'ideal' that everyone is striving for.

There are stories around that make mountains out of molehills - I remember a flatmate in Sydney during Uni times who was a FA at Qantas - he swore that one of the criteria at SQ was a semi-naked parade . . .

Yaeh, my wish at that tiem was to be an SQ selector . . . :)

'nuff said Image