Singapore Expats

What Quality Do You Most Admire in People?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Ecka Dimmock

Re: What Quality Do You Most Admire in People?

Post by Ecka Dimmock » Wed, 16 Nov 2005 9:23 am

Sense of humour, particularly the quality of not taking oneself too seriously.

I hate arrogance (and apathy too, I guess, but can't be bothered doing anything about it 8) )

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Post by madwolfie » Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:31 am

The qualities of a dead person :wink:

Rose_YG
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Rose_YG » Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:43 am

Everyone can be nice if they want to ... however i feel that honesty, faithfulness and reliability are the 3 key element that makes a person special.

Bullsh*itters ...cannot pass 'GO'
"Every day is Christmas and every night is new year's eve... "

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Post by micknlea » Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:48 am

It has to be trustworthiness for me and a ready smile to go with it.

Rose_YG
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Rose_YG » Wed, 16 Nov 2005 12:50 pm

yeah ... it's tough finding the 'right' package!... :wink:
"Every day is Christmas and every night is new year's eve... "

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Re: What Quality Do You Most Admire in People?

Post by sapphire » Wed, 16 Nov 2005 2:13 pm

Ecka Dimmock wrote:Sense of humour, particularly the quality of not taking oneself too seriously.
That's the one, so important!
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Wed, 16 Nov 2005 8:23 pm

Kimi wrote:
sapphire wrote:I am nothing but kind to you Kimi. :P
Well a sincere person wouldn't mention his/her own kindness anyway :P :wink:
yeah, at least you know to you I'm not kind but sincere about it!

...or is it the other way around....?

heehee, I'm such a jerk!

Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Kimi » Wed, 16 Nov 2005 9:01 pm

EADG wrote:
Kimi wrote:
sapphire wrote:I am nothing but kind to you Kimi. :P
Well a sincere person wouldn't mention his/her own kindness anyway :P :wink:
yeah, at least you know to you I'm not kind but sincere about it!

...or is it the other way around....?

heehee, I'm such a jerk!
Very articulately said...! :P

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Wed, 16 Nov 2005 9:30 pm

take a human for a human being, no matter what.

The thing is, we all have our reasons for neglecting those criteria we take so serious: Open mindedness, honesty, sense of humour etc etc.

At the end of the day we (including this idiot himself) all sin, we all judge people based on the daily mood we are in, we all have reasons for not respecting people the way they should be respected and be regarded.

Lets go OT for a 'night safari' (really friends, no pun intended, just an example). So we go OT and have a good laugh at 'those people'.

Well, the truth is, that 'those people' are trying to make a living for their families at home. They endure the degrading, the humiliation of having to have sex with the most vulgar privileged idiots around. They do it, for the bebefit of their families.

Puts a different perspective on family values, doesnot it?

But let's not worry about this, let's have discussions on what we as privileged people think is important about other privileged people.

Eric

Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Kimi » Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:05 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:take a human for a human being, no matter what.

The thing is, we all have our reasons for neglecting those criteria we take so serious: Open mindedness, honesty, sense of humour etc etc.

At the end of the day we (including this idiot himself) all sin, we all judge people based on the daily mood we are in, we all have reasons for not respecting people the way they should be respected and be regarded.

Lets go OT for a 'night safari' (really friends, no pun intended, just an example). So we go OT and have a good laugh at 'those people'.
I don't reckon we have that purpose to go to the OT to be honest, at least I can say not on my part...
If there is going to be taking the piss, I reckon it would be more intended to the "customers", even though if we think about it more, like you said, we are being judgmental actually, as who wouldn't want to be loved, isn't it? Even though it's probably not sincere... ignorance or I should say denial can be a bliss...
As naive as it sounds, I can say again for myself, I am interested to see something different... No other reason really, just to see something that is different to what I usually see or experience. It might bring me a negative or a positive feeling, or just neutral...
I actually would be interested to hear their story... a life's story... not for entertainment purpose, but I guess to be human interested in another human's life story... if that can make sense...
Well, the truth is, that 'those people' are trying to make a living for their families at home. They endure the degrading, the humiliation of having to have sex with the most vulgar privileged idiots around. They do it, for the bebefit of their families.

Puts a different perspective on family values, doesnot it?
I don't reckon the generalisation can be derived that easily...
Each person is different... Even if there were supposed to be a general reason, one without a family to support might have a reason of supporting themselves, which then doesn't have anything to do with family values...
But let's not worry about this, let's have discussions on what we as privileged people think is important about other privileged people.
Sarcasm must be a European thing and not only the privilege of the small island that claims not to be part of Europe ay? :P

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:13 pm

Fair enough Kimi, I am just saying: we pretend to have values here.

Eric

Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Kimi » Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:23 pm

And you reckon we don't really have values?
What about you yourself then?

Despite of what people took the piss about "stoneage" thinking to regard kindness highly or have people probably mock people who are being kind to be either weak or silly or whatever, I honestly feel sorry for people who can be categorised as mean (not pointing fingers at anybody, before somebody jumps at me...).
Cause the way I see it, these people are the ones who stand up to their nature despite of the recent tendency in the modern world where the jungle law does apply in a lot of situations, instead of following the "herd".
And I call that holding a value...

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:30 pm

Our prime instinct is to survive. In our comfort zone we hold values. Once we be put in different circumstances, we just survive. We will hold to our values as long as they serve us, if no longer, we adapt to the newborn situation.

Animals we are... :mrgreen:

Eric

Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Kimi » Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:33 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Our prime instinct is to survive. In our comfort zone we hold values. Once we be put in different circumstances, we just survive. We will hold to our values as long as they serve us, if no longer, we adapt to the newborn situation.

Eric
Hahahaha, touché

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Thu, 17 Nov 2005 12:59 am

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Our prime instinct is to survive. In our comfort zone we hold values. Once we be put in different circumstances, we just survive. We will hold to our values as long as they serve us, if no longer, we adapt to the newborn situation.

Eric
Ok Eric, now I finally respect you! :P
Seriously, what Eric said, that's the truth and final truth!

Now what's the mystery behind my recent insomnia? Grrrrrrr!
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.