Singapore Expats

Electric outlets

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
YF
Regular
Regular

Electric outlets

Post by YF » Mon, 14 Nov 2005 2:30 am

I am bringing my computer (and monitor) with me to Singapore but I am wondering what I need for an adapter or a transformer? Is thi something I should just get there? (I am coming from US/Canada).

Thanks,
RDL

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Post by Carpe Diem » Mon, 14 Nov 2005 2:35 am

The plugs in Singapore look like that

(same as UK if I remember correctly). And voltage is 220V.

You can find plug adaptors in many shops here, or at the airport.

Hope this helps.
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

YF
Regular
Regular

Post by YF » Mon, 14 Nov 2005 9:05 am

But will I need to get a transformer or will an adapter be fine? I don't know anything about how the current will affect my computer if I just use an adaptor.

Thanks!
RDL

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Mon, 14 Nov 2005 9:18 am

It depends on your computer. My new iMac said it has a converter built in. I asked them in the US and I asked them here before I plugged it in -- they said it would be fine, then POOF!

I think a transformer is the way to go -- it's your computer after all. You're bringing me a white pie from Pepe's right?

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bremen » Mon, 14 Nov 2005 10:02 am

Check the back of your PC. You should see a switch for "110/220".
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Electric outlets

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 14 Nov 2005 11:07 am

YF wrote:I am bringing my computer (and monitor) with me to Singapore but I am wondering what I need for an adapter or a transformer? Is thi something I should just get there? (I am coming from US/Canada).

Thanks,
RDL
If you're using a notebook, it will work fine. If you are using a Desktop it should also work fine and it is usually switchable. However, with the costs of Desktop here, I wouldn't bother to bring it over and paying the shipping charges, etc. I'd just bring the HDD and buy a PC over here and put your HDD inside as a 2nd HardDisk.

sms

perhaps eric would be better placed to answer here as he has a background with intel i believe.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Electric outlets

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 14 Nov 2005 12:04 pm

YF wrote:I am bringing my computer (and monitor) with me to Singapore but I am wondering what I need for an adapter or a transformer? Is thi something I should just get there? (I am coming from US/Canada).

Thanks,
RDL
It will cost you a LOT of money to ship the thing. You cannot do it by post office as the boxes are too big. Air shipment via UPS or DHL is totally cost prohibitive. Sending it via Unicorn or other shipper will cost more than us$1000.

If you elect to bring it, check the power supply on the PC. It will either have a 110/220 switch or the specs will give you the input voltage range. On the PC I thought about bringing over, the PC itself was switchable, the monitor was not.

I agree with SMS... avoid the expense and hassle... buy one here.

YF
Regular
Regular

Post by YF » Tue, 15 Nov 2005 3:59 am

Fortunetly I have a mini computer and so it fits nicely as carry on. In fact I have a small carrying case for travel as well. I am assuming there is no "shipping charges" for brining by mini computer as carry on?

Best,
RDL

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Post by Carpe Diem » Tue, 15 Nov 2005 4:50 am

YF wrote:Fortunetly I have a mini computer and so it fits nicely as carry on. In fact I have a small carrying case for travel as well. I am assuming there is no "shipping charges" for brining by mini computer as carry on?

Best,
RDL
Of course not. Just check voltage then.
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

YF
Regular
Regular

Post by YF » Wed, 16 Nov 2005 8:52 am

Thanks for all the help guys. A few weeks before I leave. I will be sure to come to one of the get togethers.

Best,
RDL