Singapore Expats

US Education

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ringo100
Chatter
Chatter

Ok then.

Post by ringo100 » Sat, 12 Nov 2005 8:08 pm

Ok, sorry, i'll stop arguing.

It was more the comment that because I am young (28, not that young) that I my opinions are not valid or in someway naive, that made the hairs on the back of my head stand on end. One thing though, I thought we were discussing and not arguing and I think it's a bit more fun than reading a thread where everyone agrees with everyone else.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Re: Ok then.

Post by Wind In My Hair » Sat, 12 Nov 2005 8:48 pm

ringo100 wrote:Ok, sorry, i'll stop arguing.

It was more the comment that because I am young (28, not that young) that I my opinions are not valid or in someway naive, that made the hairs on the back of my head stand on end. One thing though, I thought we were discussing and not arguing and I think it's a bit more fun than reading a thread where everyone agrees with everyone else.
no need to apologise, ringo. in retrospect i shouldn't have made that comment. sometimes my fingers move faster than my brain. you just reminded me of myself ten years ago in my early 20s when i was prone to snap judgments. and i certainly was infallible then in my own eyes, ha ha! so it was a dig at myself and i can see how it wasn't fair to you.

hey i love a good discussion and thought that's what we had going. it's only when i sense that things are getting emotional that i don't feel like continuing. since we've both calmed down i have no issue keeping this debate going. and you're right, if everyone agreed this forum would die off pretty quickly :wink:

so what was it we were disagreeing on?

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Sat, 12 Nov 2005 8:59 pm

1887 Nietzsche "God is Dead!"
1900 God "Nietzsche is Dead!"
some signatures are more equal than others

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 9:48 am

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 9:58 am

banana wrote:1887 Nietzsche "God is Dead!"
1900 God "Nietzsche is Dead!"
If you play Abbey Road backward it says: Paul is Dead!

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 3:02 pm

He is the Walrus kookookajoo.

ringo100
Chatter
Chatter

Tv is not always bad for you

Post by ringo100 » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 6:43 pm

Just watching a great program on National Geographic about Evolution, I really hope some of the heretic, non-believers watched it as well. Too bad it's on a Sunday when you will all be off in Church drinking Jesus’ blood.

Balanced, self-critical and not a mention of God in sight. Fantastic. Still so many unanswered questions, but still so much more believable than intelligent design.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Re: Tv is not always bad for you

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 7:22 pm

ringo100 wrote:Just watching a great program on National Geographic about Evolution, I really hope some of the heretic, non-believers watched it as well. Too bad it's on a Sunday when you will all be off in Church drinking Jesus’ blood.
Ringo, not only was that uncalled for, it has brought into question the intelligence of your earlier posts. Knock it off! :twisted:

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 7:28 pm

ringo100 wrote:I really hope some of the heretic, non-believers watched it as well. Too bad it's on a Sunday when you will all be off in Church drinking Jesus’ blood.
yes ringo, agree you've gone too far this time. that was a direct attack on catholics, and not very smart considering i stated repeatedly in this thread that the official church and i personally have no issue with evolution.

i'm done with this debate. it has ceased to be intelligent and civil.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 7:34 pm

ringo100 wrote:Just watching a great program on National Geographic about Evolution, I really hope some of the heretic, non-believers watched it as well. Too bad it's on a Sunday when you will all be off in Church drinking Jesus’ blood.

Balanced, self-critical and not a mention of God in sight. Fantastic. Still so many unanswered questions, but still so much more believable than intelligent design.
can't say your contribution sounds either balanced or intelligent though... :-|

Eric

ringo100
Chatter
Chatter

Ok i'm sorry, heat of the moment post.

Post by ringo100 » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 8:34 pm

Ok sorry and I withdraw the last comment.

But it was a fantastic documentary.

A bit extreme in hindsight and maybe I have few general problems with the whole stance of most orthodox churches that I should be keeping to myself.

Sorry if I offended, I shouldn't become a bigot myself. I would withdraw the offending sentance but since you've all quoted it i'm stuck.

It wasn't supposed to offensive more of a tongue in cheek dig at the Roman Catholic Church and some of the things it still puts forward as literal beliefs.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 9:44 pm

IMHO, I thought that was a hilarious and insightful post. Sure, it was irreverent poke on Catholics as a whole but no way did it attack anyone here personally. Grow some balls and stand your ground man.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 9:45 pm

banana wrote:IMHO, I thought that was a hilarious and insightful post. Sure, it was irreverent poke on Catholics as a whole but no way did it attack anyone here personally. Grow some balls and stand your ground man.
sometimes you're just an asshole.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 9:52 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:
banana wrote:IMHO, I thought that was a hilarious and insightful post. Sure, it was irreverent poke on Catholics as a whole but no way did it attack anyone here personally. Grow some balls and stand your ground man.
no doubt sweetie but I'm entitled to my opinions as shitty as they might be...or would you deny me that basic human right?

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 9:59 pm

banana wrote:
Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:
no doubt sweetie but I'm entitled to my opinions as shitty as they might be...or would you deny me that basic human right?
I would deny you are human, basic or otherwise when you make hurtful remarks like that. Do you ever self-edit or do you simply not care who you offend?
Last edited by Mary Hatch Bailey on Mon, 14 Nov 2005 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.