Singapore Expats

Attention to all the parents in MRT

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
uncle_james
Regular
Regular

Attention to all the parents in MRT

Post by uncle_james » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 4:10 am

Have you felt like swaying and almost fall down in MRT when the MRT is braking?

I guess most of the people did experienced this before...
what if this happen when you carrying your little baby?

Today, I saw a young man is carrying a baby,
which is about 5,6 months old
while his wife is carrying few plastic bags and his maid is pushing the stroller

the MRT cabin is crowded, and no free seat
(I was standing not too far from them and also without a seat)
nobody seems like giving seat to this young man

it take about 10 seconds, for the MRT back to high speed
suddenly the MRT driver is breaking
(no e-break, just a softbreak,
sometime, this will cause your body sway
if you are not paying attention)

the young man is putting quite a lots of effort
to maintain his body to avoid swinging
fortunately, nothing happend...

Did you think the young man put the baby in jeopardy?

Perhaps, i was too paranoid, but prevention is always the best...
So, to all parent, next time when you carrying baby in MRT,
especially during peak hour or weekend,
can you please put your baby in the stroller ... ?

You not just putting your baby in jeopardy
if something bad happening, the witnesser will felt uneasy too

PS:
Please don't blame those who didn't give the seat,
the safety of baby should be taking care by the parent...
: )

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Attention to all the parents in MRT

Post by Splatted » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 6:09 am

sd
Last edited by Splatted on Sat, 15 Apr 2006 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 11:30 am

uncle_james wrote:Please don't blame those who didn't give the seat
What a cop out. What is wrong with giving up a seat to help someone who could use the help. Instead, people remain selfish, look the other way as though nothing is happening, then blame someone else.

Self responsibility also includes doing the right thing and that includes helping others when they need it.

So, I blame the selfish louts who would not give up their seat to help a fellow human being.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 12:41 pm

Giving up a seat happens at least as much as not giving up a seat, what's the fuzz about here? :?

Bit oversensitive uncle james?

I am sure the dad knew what he was doing, if not, he will have learnt from this through this experience? :-|

Eric

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 1:51 pm

Uncle James, This is a case of the Parent being a bit stupid and the general MRT population being just their normal inconsiderate selves. I don't care if half the time someone gives up their seat. In an ideal world were people don't accept that half the population are inconsiderate and think it's okay, everybody would do their part to protect or at least think about the child. Not that the parent would learn a lesson. At the expense of possible injury to the child? Sad.

'fraid I've got to agree with SE 100% on this one.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 2:21 pm

uncle_james wrote:Today, I saw a young man is carrying a baby,
which is about 5,6 months old while his wife is carrying few plastic bags and his maid is pushing the stroller
Uncle James,

Your concern is touching, really -- but three adults taking care of one infant -- I think they probably have the situation covered. All of this because you were afraid the Dad and infant might fall? That's an awful lot to carry on your shoulders. In a future, similar situation you can approach a passenger with a seat and suggest they give it up for the Dad -- but this might not go over to well.

If a passenger is so burdened and so overwhelmed with the swaying and an infant and packages and a stroller, that their choice of transportation only works if someone gives up their seat -- then they don't belong on the MRT in the first place.

They could have:

walked
taken a taxi
not bought as much
left the infant with the maid so they could shop
asked the maid to pick up the items

SMS, chill out a bit! New parents are stupid, perhaps this was their first big outting, cut them a bit of slack. Hopefully they will learn from it as Eric said. Commuters the world over are an inconsiderate lot -- no need to single out MRT riders. The New York City subway, the Underground, the Boston T , the Paris Metro -- I've ridden them all and you have to say Singapore is no worse and the system itself is wonderful. Clean, cheap and safe.

Uncle James, an MRT at rush hour is no place for a stroller. I wasn't there, but the situation you describe is not nearly as scary to me as jackass Dads jay 'running' across Orchard Road, splitting lanes with a stroller and another child on their shoulders. I've seen it many times.

New parents often go through a painful process of slow realization as to how limited their lives have become, let's hope they figure it out sooner rather than later. :wink:

uncle_james
Regular
Regular

Post by uncle_james » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 2:22 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:...This is a case of the Parent being a bit stupid and the general MRT population being just their normal inconsiderate selves. I don't care if half the time someone gives up their seat. In an ideal world were people don't accept that half the population are inconsiderate and think it's okay, everybody would do their part to protect or at least think about the child. Not that the parent would learn a lesson. At the expense of possible injury to the child? Sad.

'fraid I've got to agree with SE 100% on this one.
i just want to let the parent aware how dangerous of what they have done...is too late when the child is injured then you blame on people didn't giving seat to you

just be extremely careful...
we can't force people to giving up seats,
as this is just an ethical issue

uncle_james
Regular
Regular

Post by uncle_james » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 2:28 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:walked
taken a taxi
not bought as much
left the infant with the maid so they could shop
asked the maid to pick up the items
few good suggestions...! thx!
my point is to rise the awareness among the parents

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 3:17 pm

uncle_james wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:.

just be extremely careful...
we can't force people to giving up seats,
as this is just an ethical issue

Umm, I beg to differ - possibly not force - as in the redneck 9mm up the butt style - but I have asked people to get up for my wife, the elderly and women with kids many times. Amazing how people can get shamed to give up their seat and equally amazing that people don't get off their lazy arses of their own volition.

'nuff said Image

uncle_james
Regular
Regular

Post by uncle_james » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 4:58 pm

perhaps you yet to encounter people with no morale at all

i have been once queue for SBS bus in the JB checkpoint,
a young guy is jump queuing, 2 position infront of me
i was very patience and ask the guy to queue from the back,
guess what this guy say

"Cannot meh?" and just ignore me,

i was so angry, and but still nice to the guy, say
"is not right to jump queue,
if anyone like you (the young man), then what for we need to queue,
and people who in queue will be very frustrated"...
and seeking the agreement from the lady who is in between me and the youg man, the lady just quiet ...
fine, then i turn around to seeking support from the people behind me,
guess what ?

few peoples behind me just turn around and pretend never witness what have happened ...
One hand cannot applaud ...
so, i just have to let the young man to queue in front of me...

what would you think if you are in the same shoes as me?

stefania
Chatter
Chatter

Post by stefania » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 5:15 pm

On a different note for the same subject...anyone else horrified over what happened in Seoul? Baby stroller enclosed in train's doors, baby fell out, mother dragged on.....

uncle_james
Regular
Regular

Post by uncle_james » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 5:27 pm

stefania wrote:On a different note for the same subject...anyone else horrified over what happened in Seoul? Baby stroller enclosed in train's doors, baby fell out, mother dragged on.....
i believe is the door sensor not function properly + the carelessness of the driver

mishap is happen when we are careless...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 5:30 pm

stefania wrote:On a different note for the same subject...anyone else horrified over what happened in Seoul? Baby stroller enclosed in train's doors, baby fell out, mother dragged on.....
Exactly the same note! Was she trying to get on the train when the signal for doors closing were going? Were the commuters all clustered around the door and refusing to move so she couldn't get in. Was it Raining outside so there were no taxi's available and maybe the baby sick and she was trying to take it to the doctor. Was she just stupid to take a stroller on the MRT? So many unanswered questions.

Nevermind, I'm doing what the Doctor Mary ordered - I'm Chilling Out. :wink:

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

stefania
Chatter
Chatter

Post by stefania » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 5:49 pm

uncle_james wrote: i believe is the door sensor not function properly + the carelessness of the driver

mishap is happen when we are careless...
What are you thinking when you give these sort of replies honestly?

Obviously the damn "sensors" don't always work (I've seen doors close on arms, bags, clothes, etc, etc and still move to the next station). Why the need to blame technology when we ourselves do not have the common sense needed to look after ourselves? And your last sentence contradicts your first so :-({|=

uncle_james
Regular
Regular

Post by uncle_james » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 5:54 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Was she trying to get on the train when the signal for doors closing were going?
who would actually understand this is as dangerous as running through red lights?

to most of the people, personal convienence is the top priority!