Singapore Expats

Indoor winter

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Indoor winter

Post by Kimi » Wed, 09 Nov 2005 9:39 pm

I have been feeling so cold in my company's offices in different locations that caused me feeling sick, once it caused me a tummy-ache and another time triggered my migraine.
How do you guys cope with the cold inside?
This doesn't seem healthy as the cold is not natural unlike winter.
And regardless of me liking cold rather than hot due to my migraine, too much cold is also unbearable la! What is it with the so low temperature of aircon here? Obsession with winter?! :???:
Ok, that last bit was a rant :oops:
Time to carry our winter/autumn coats and sweaters around which would just look so silly when you're walking outside in the tropical weather!

Plavt
Director
Director

Re: Indoor winter

Post by Plavt » Wed, 09 Nov 2005 9:56 pm

Kimi wrote:I have been feeling so cold in my company's offices in different locations that caused me feeling sick, once it caused me a tummy-ache and another time triggered my migraine.
How do you guys cope with the cold inside?
This doesn't seem healthy as the cold is not natural unlike winter.
And regardless of me liking cold rather than hot due to my migraine, too much cold is also unbearable la! What is it with the so low temperature of aircon here? Obsession with winter?! :???:
Ok, that last bit was a rant :oops:
Time to carry our winter/autumn coats and sweaters around which would just look so silly when you're walking outside in the tropical weather!
I am not sure but the cause of your feeling unwell might be the gas they use in the air conditioning although just how you would find out for sure I do not know, maintenance personnel maybe able to tell you. I do remember a flight attendant in Hong Kong complaining she spent the night coughing and I am in little doubt that was the gas they use in some air conditioning systems. In other countries air conditioning has been the cause of Legionnaires Disease so it may be worth finding a few things out.
Hope this helps.

Plavt.

IrishinSing

cold ?

Post by IrishinSing » Wed, 09 Nov 2005 10:20 pm

I'm from Dublin, there is no such thing as "cold" here.

My aircon only goes to 18 C. Dublin is less that 10 about now.

I was thinking of checking out the Ice Bar - but since I'd go in a T shirt and shorts, people would think I was being an ass.

Hang on, they think that anyway...... ah well.

Damn its hot.
"I don't have a photograph, but you can have my footprints. They're upstairs in my socks." -Groucho Marx

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Thu, 10 Nov 2005 10:19 am

Agree Kimi,

Offices in Singapore, people walking around with coats :???:

I also don't understand why the aircon has to be so cold in so many places. I personally do not have a problem with it, I can bear it very well.

And.... all this aircon is not that good for our environment either...

Never got an explanation for the cold...

Eric

babykasim
Chatter
Chatter

Post by babykasim » Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:28 pm

sometimes the office need to be cold to cater for the machines/pcs there -some servers can crashed if it gets too hot, hence why server room is always damn freezing

for my place, since the a/c holes are near the walls, i tend to cover the a/c with paper n put plants on top of it, wear pants and sit with my legs crossed - a little warmer this way :)

Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Kimi » Thu, 10 Nov 2005 1:09 pm

I'm not in IT though so am not sitting in the server room, yet it feels like one! :(