Singapore Expats

Foreigner Registering Business in Singapore

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
Mike75

Foreigner Registering Business in Singapore

Post by Mike75 » Mon, 31 Oct 2005 5:28 pm

Anybody experience / tips about opening a business in Singapore? I am an EP holder. Is the procedure complicated and what are the steps to take. Expenses?

Thanks for all replies.

Mike

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 31 Oct 2005 5:43 pm

Sole proprietoship? Private Limited?

See http://www.acra.gov.sg/

Your EP belongs to the company you are working for. Should you leave it, you will either need to obtain an Entrepass for your new company or get PR.

Mike75

Post by Mike75 » Mon, 31 Oct 2005 6:21 pm

Thanks. I am not leaving my current employer. As a scholar I'm able to earn extra up to 60% of my salary with outside consulting / entrepreneurship. This is even encouraged since it will be reflected to students as improved professionalism which I'm willing to share.

I'll check the link thanks again,

M

Strong Eagle wrote:Sole proprietoship? Private Limited?

See http://www.acra.gov.sg/

Your EP belongs to the company you are working for. Should you leave it, you will either need to obtain an Entrepass for your new company or get PR.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 6:29 am

Consider a private limited. Under a sole proprietorship your personal assets can be attached due to business failures.

Email me for the name of a person who can give you details and costs. She is real good.

Shadou

Post by Shadou » Thu, 03 Nov 2005 9:22 pm

I too plan on starting my own business here and I have been wondering if I should go with a Private Limted or a Sole proprietorship. Once I get that figured out, the only other hurdle to overcome is the writing of a business plan to satisfy the government requirements. Can anyone possibly tell me where I can find some good examples or any good books that will provide me with a template for writing an effective business plan? I'm clueless when it comes to this. Thanks for any help.

Shadou

Post by Shadou » Thu, 03 Nov 2005 9:28 pm

Another quick question for anyone. Are there any business that would be deemed acceptable and allow me a better chance of getting approval with my business plan such as IT Consultant, Photographer, etc? Any advice would be great from anyone who has gone down this route before. Thanks.

JayV

Post by JayV » Fri, 04 Nov 2005 10:00 am

Shadou wrote:I too plan on starting my own business here and I have been wondering if I should go with a Private Limted or a Sole proprietorship. Once I get that figured out, the only other hurdle to overcome is the writing of a business plan to satisfy the government requirements. Can anyone possibly tell me where I can find some good examples or any good books that will provide me with a template for writing an effective business plan? I'm clueless when it comes to this. Thanks for any help.
Business plan is not required by the government when you set up your business in Singapore. However, it will become handy when you start looking for financing. And, of course, it makes good sense to write up a plan before starting up any business.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 05 Nov 2005 6:27 pm

Shadou wrote:I too plan on starting my own business here and I have been wondering if I should go with a Private Limted or a Sole proprietorship. Once I get that figured out, the only other hurdle to overcome is the writing of a business plan to satisfy the government requirements. Can anyone possibly tell me where I can find some good examples or any good books that will provide me with a template for writing an effective business plan? I'm clueless when it comes to this. Thanks for any help.
If you are Singaporean or PR, you don't need a business plan. Actually, you don't need at business plan to file with the ACRA. You do need a business plan for the Ministry of Manpower in order to get an Entrepass if you will not have any other source for an EP.

As for the biz plan, do a google on business plan. Lots of references. Email me and I will send you the table of contents of my plan... won't give away the gist of the material but will give you a good idea of what you will need.