Singapore Expats

Good Cheap American Breakfast on Sunday Morning??

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 12:14 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:
EADG wrote:
Wind In My Hair wrote:i didn't realise the 'do' word was a singaporean thing. don't all english speakers the world over use it for emphasis?
sure, but not as frequently and freely as here, where it is a more common figure of speach
Wind In My Hair wrote:same with the idiom "...so called <>..."
you DO realise, that "speech" is spelled with two "e"s? :P
oops..
Wind In My Hair wrote:and you DO have a point on "so-called". i can't stand that phrase either. it either is called or isn't called what it is so called.
well put
Wind In My Hair wrote:the other local phrase i DO hate is "itself" eg "i'm going on leave in december itself" or "i live in east coast itself"...
or the mysterious and over-use of "already" ("alllrayeeeedeeeee") at the end of sentances - what is with that?!

or the curious habit of pluralising words like 'stuffs'

to be fair, after researching this a bit, the English language is in fact full of exceptions that are understandably difficult for non-native speakers, and, if what I've heard is true, Singaporeans are not really concerned with speaking proper English and many would probably prefer to concentrate on learning more Chinese

that may be incorrect, though
Wind In My Hair wrote:still, all things considered, i DO like singlish. and i DO hope you like singapore with all its peculiarities. :)
hmmm...I'm getting used to it, and actually have caught myself a few times recently finding some of it almost charming, when it's done as a cultural thing and not out of ignorance- had me thinking it would be a shame if it went away

what I will never come to terms with is sms-English, either spoken or written (outside of sms, where it makes perfect sense) - things like 'frens' and 'dun' will remain forever moronic to this ang moh
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 8:43 am

here's another word you hear in every sentence here: 'actually'... :x

or 'can I just check with you' :mad:

Eric

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 8:55 am

No, please not another thread on the evils of Singlish. Haven't we flogged that dead horse long enough?
Vaucluse wrote:And thus died subtle humour . . . .
Subtle? That ship has definitely sailed....

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 8:58 am

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:No, please not another thread on the evils of Singlish. Haven't we flogged that dead horse long enough?
You live in Singapore, it is part of its culture, whether you like it or not...

Eric

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 9:05 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:
EADG wrote:
Wind In My Hair wrote:i didn't realise the 'do' word was a singaporean thing. don't all english speakers the world over use it for emphasis?
sure, but not as frequently and freely as here, where it is a more common figure of speach

same with the idiom "...so called <>..."
you DO realise, that "speech" is spelled with two "e"s? :P

and you DO have a point on "so-called". i can't stand that phrase either. it either is called or isn't called what it is so called.

the other local phrase i DO hate is "itself" eg "i'm going on leave in december itself" or "i live in east coast itself"...

still, all things considered, i DO like singlish. and i DO hope you like singapore with all its peculiarities. :)
The three that always tickle me are HR 'cum' Finance Manager instead of HR & Finance Manager (not wrong at all, just very foreign to my American ears that's all - even after 23 years!)

The other is green 'colour', blue 'colour', etc. What can they be other than colour? Both my kids & my wife drive me batty with that one.

And the third is - can you bring me home, or can I follow you to the store. I can take you home but I can't bring you home if you want to go to your house. Why not go to the store 'with' me instead of following me?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 9:15 am

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:
Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:No, please not another thread on the evils of Singlish. Haven't we flogged that dead horse long enough?

Eric
Eric, I know I live in Singapore, I know its part of the culture. I know! Thank you All-mighty Enlightener!

What I find tiresome is the way it is beaten to death on the forum. I have no problem that Singlish exists. None at all, in fact you are the one whinging here.

What is repetitive and inane is that we seem to not be able to move off the topic.

I thought we were talking about American breakfasts here? Not a deep discussion perhaps, but at least original.

Ah Lau

Post by Ah Lau » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 9:43 am

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:
Eric from the Netherlands wrote:

Eric
Eric, I know I live in Singapore, I know its part of the culture. I know! Thank you All-mighty Enlightener!

What I find tiresome is the way it is beaten to death on the forum. I have no problem that Singlish exists. None at all, in fact you are the one whinging here.

What is repetitive and inane is that we seem to not be able to move off the topic.

I thought we were talking about American breakfasts here? Not a deep discussion perhaps, but at least original.

Mary Hatch Back
You call Eh Lick almighty enlightener!!
Wah, what did he enlighten you on.... gave you tips on slimming?
My lictionary say almighty is like Omni Potent.... Like mighty Potent...used for the one in Heaven....not mere morsel of flesh like Ehlick as likeable as he is to you!
Oso.... Those who use singlish is not so un heliucated as you think they is..
They just look like that one.
But inside they cool like hell...many have masters degrees in English...they just paiseh(shy about displaying their abilities) hehe. Shy mah.... appear heliucated when everybody used Singlish is hyper sinful.. every body will drop their jaw and think where you from...... Chancery Lane or what....even those who stay there lie and say they come from Ang Moh Kio...sorry har... that town named after your kind.. see colonial influence also come into Hokien!! Aiyoyo!! What this world coming toooo.... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Wham » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 9:52 am

ok, so back to breakfast.

When this discussion started i thought to myslef "hmmm...I don't really miss American breakfast too much..." - as now a days i just have bran cereal and skim milk or fruit for breakfast OR Nasi Lemak when i really need something substantial.

HOWEVER, the more i think about it - the more i dream of my version of the perfect American breakfast, which would be:

Timing: 10:00 am on a cool Fall Saturday morning (could also be winter)
Setting: Sitting in a country Diner or B&B in Vermont or New Hampshire
Smell: Fresh bacon sizzling in the backround and possibly the smell of a fire simmering in a big stone fireplace nearby
The Meal: Big cup of coffee, orange juice, pancakes with maple syrup, thick sliced bacon and eggs over easy on the side. Maybe also some well done hash browns - but with the pancakes - i am getting full.
Misc: Would be nice to have both the NY Times and The Valley News and some quiet occasional conversation.

...of course a toasted bagel with the works (cream cheese, nova or lox, onion, tomato & creamed herring) from Barney Greengrass - "The Sturgeon King" also brings up some good memories...
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 9:57 am

Wham wrote:ok, so back to breakfast.

When this discussion started i thought to myslef "hmmm...I don't really miss American breakfast too much..." - as now a days i just have bran cereal and skim milk or fruit for breakfast OR Nasi Lemak when i really need something substantial.

HOWEVER, the more i think about it - the more i dream of my version of the perfect American breakfast, which would be:

Timing: 10:00 am on a cool Fall Saturday morning (could also be winter)
Setting: Sitting in a country Diner or B&B in Vermont or New Hampshire
Smell: Fresh bacon sizzling in the backround and possibly the smell of a fire simmering in a big stone fireplace nearby
The Meal: Big cup of coffee, orange juice, pancakes with maple syrup, thick sliced bacon and eggs over easy on the side. Maybe also some well done hash browns - but with the pancakes - i am getting full.
Misc: Would be nice to have both the NY Times and The Valley News and some quiet occasional conversation.

...of course a toasted bagel with the works (cream cheese, nova or lox, onion, tomato & creamed herring) from Barney Greengrass - "The Sturgeon King" also brings up some good memories...
Just take out New Hampshire and change to Sunday (for the Sunday Times magazine) & we're 100% agreed.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 10:11 am

Big cup of coffee

Ok, ok,ok . . . I have remained silent about american breakfasts - what people do to themselves in the privacy of their own home or diner is their business, but :

Big cup of coffee One of the things I ALWAYS hated and still do is the quality of coffee in the US . . . . Most of the times it's see-through and absolutely tasteless . . .
(but then you have guys run around saying they are so buzzed by the amount of caffeine they are injesting - like beer - wow, just had three Buds and am trippin' man . . . #-o )

Why, oh why . . .

(please don't come back with Starbucks . . . . [-X )

'nuff said Image

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 10:23 am

True on the whole Vaucluse! 90% of American coffee is undrinkable by global standards. However, this is improving. Not because Starbucks' (sorry) product is better, but because it served as the impetus for competition.

Just like with beer. The American beer industry was, until the mid-80s or so -- abyssmal, a joke. Watered down, mass-produced swill. Then the yuppie generation spawned the micro-brewery. (See? They're not all bad). More money meant more to spend on better products.

I live in the 2nd least populated State in the US. Yet in 30 minutes I can drive to 4 micro-beweries. Truly God's Country.

:)

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Wham » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 10:49 am

MHB, According to the 1990 Census, the second least populated US state is Wyoming (after Alaska) - but the whole "God Country" reference sounds more like VT or Maine? Care to clarify for me?

Vaucluse... I assure you that the coffee is good in my fantasy breakfast - most likely from Green Mountain Roasters...
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 11:47 am

Wham, I am heartened to hear that your fantasy breakfast includes gooooood coffee! Green Mountai - yummmy! Absolutely accepted and wish I had a cup now, but I'm still enjoying my Eduscho feingemahlen . . .

Mary - I asked you not to mention the dreaded 'S'-word (ok, I have the odd iced vanilla latte - much to the chagrin of an Italian friend here who will not enter the place).

Good ols Samuel Adams - nice brew, not micro by any means, but nice brew..

Yup, I'd agree. Mary has the New England touch about her - probably why we get along so well - nice people. I do recollect a tonne of microbreweries springing up in the last 15 or so years and they do make good beers, but they don't age them enough, in my opinion - but do taste good.
(Driving home after work on the I90, thiunking it might be nice to drop by . . . but who can afford taxis in the boonies???

'nuff said Image

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 11:59 am

Wham,

I'll keep that just to me for now. At times this kind of personal information is misused to be hurtful and I'm really not up for that.

I am a big fan of Green Mountain Roasters. This is a good example of my trickle down theory of marketing. Gosh, they're in every gas station! Think of what was available 10 years ago <...shudder....>.

:)

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Wham » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 2:51 pm

no worries...

but if you HAD to go skiing, would you go to Mad River, Tuckerman's Ravine, or Sunday River?