Singapore Expats

And this is our neighbour - welcome to the dark ages . . .

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Vaucluse
Director
Director

And this is our neighbour - welcome to the dark ages . . .

Post by Vaucluse » Sat, 29 Oct 2005 11:40 pm

Christian girls beheaded in grisly Indonesian attack
October 29, 2005 - 7:01PM

Three teenage Christian girls were beheaded and a fourth was seriously wounded in a savage attack on Saturday by unidentified assailants in the Indonesian province of Central Sulawesi.

The girls were among a group of students from a private Christian high school who were ambushed while walking through a cocoa plantation in Poso Kota subdistrict on their way to class, police Major Riky Naldo said.

The area is close to the provincial capital of Poso, about 1000 kilometres northeast of Jakarta.

Naldo said the heads of the three dead victims were found several kilometres from their bodies.

In Jakarta, President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono ordered the police to begin a hunt for the killers.

"In the holy month of Ramadan, we are again shocked by a sadistic crime in Poso that claimed the lives of three school students," he told reporters at the airport as he prepared to fly to Sumatra island.

"I condemn this barbarous killing, whoever the perpetrators are and whatever their motives."

Indonesia is the world's most populous Muslim nation, but Central Sulawesi has a roughly equal number of Muslims and Christians. The province was the scene of a bloody religious war in 2001-2002 that killed around 1000 people from both communities.

At the time, beheadings, burnings and other atrocities were common.

A government-mediated truce succeeded in ending the conflict in early 2002, but there have since been a series of bomb attacks and assassinations of Christians.

These included a blast at a market in Poso, a predominantly Christian town, that killed 22 people in May.

Christian leaders have repeatedly accused the authorities in Jakarta of not doing enough to find the perpetrators and bring them to justice.

The Christian-Muslim conflict in Sulawesi was an extension of a wider sectarian war in the nearby Maluku archipelago in which up to 9000 perished between 1999 and 2002.

The Maluku conflict intensified soon after it began with the arrival of volunteers belonging to Laskar Jihad, a newly created militia from Indonesia's main island of Java that was supported by hardline elements of the security forces.

Analysts and diplomats accused senior army commanders of funding and training the militia, which was hurriedly disbanded following the terrorist attacks on the tourist island of Bali in 2002 which claimed 202 lives, including 88 Australians.

'nuff said Image

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Sat, 29 Oct 2005 11:42 pm

Oh, in case someone tries to make this an anti-muslim thing . . . who gives a toss who killed them and what religion they were . . .

'nuff said Image

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Wham » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 8:13 am

Well... It certainly reads that the girls were killed by MUSLIMS because they were CHRISTIAN. Hard NOT to think of it as a religious thing.
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson

Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Kimi » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 8:58 am

I wonder what made some part of the Muslim societies to be this extreme...considering that some parts which is heaps it seems of their teachings are similar to that of Christian's and Judaism's. Even though I suppose looking back, Christian history is not really that to be proud of either...

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 9:54 am

60 dead in New Delhi bombing, girls beheaded in Sulawesi, daily beheadings and bomb attacks in Southern Thailand, an idiot Iranian president calling for the destruction of Israel...

As if the natural disaster of the earthquake in Pakistan wasn't enough, it seems that these 'human beings' want to add to man's suffering and kill a few more... :?

I'd stick to the suggestion of Wimh for today: Look outside and see it is a beautiful day, the sun is shining and I am hoping to go enjoy myself in a game of beachvolleyball..

Eric

awtl

Article of beheading of christian school girls

Post by awtl » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:03 am

Three teenage schoolgirls beheaded in Indonesia

JAKARTA - Three Christian teenage girls were beheaded Saturday, police said, in an assault that marks an escalation of the violence against non-Muslims in Indonesia's Central Sulawesi province.

The three high school students were found with their heads severed early Saturday in the sectarian-divided town of Poso, said provincial police spokesman Rais Adam.

The girls were believed to have been murdered while they walked to school, Adam said.

He said two of the victims' heads were found near a police post while the third was discovered outside a Christian church in Poso.

Muslim extremists have been linked to bombings, shootings and other attacks targeting Christians in the Poso area over the last two years but these appear to be the first recent beheadings.

President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono strongly condemned the beheadings, a tactic used periodically by insurgents in Muslim southern Thailand.

"I condemn this inhumane murder, whoever the perpetrators are and whatever their motives," the president was quoted as saying by Detikcom online news service.

Another teenage student girl was wounded in the attack, said national police spokesman Ariyanto Budiarjo.

But the girl, who was hacked in her upper chest, told police the killings were carried out by six men clad in black and wearing face masks.

Police earlier detained eight men after they refused to have their car searched at a checkpoint, said Budiarjo, but he would not say whether those men were connected to the killings.

Poso has seen several home-made bomb explosions in the past month which caused minimal damage and no casualties.

In May a pair of bomb attacks killed 22 people at a market in the neighbouring coastal town of Tentena.

Police said the Tentena bombings were the work of Islamic militants with possible links to Jemaah Islamiyah, which authorities say has some ties to Al-Qaeda. Others say the attack was politically motivated.

Authorities have linked JI to numerous deadly bombings elsewhere in Indonesia.

- AFP /ls

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Wham » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:04 am

and a beautiful day it is!!! Perhaps a good day to just be thankful that we are here in peaceful Singapore.
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson

awtl

US warnings on Indonesia during Muslim holy months

Post by awtl » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:05 am

U.S. warns citizens against travel to Indonesia, citing possible terror attacks
ASSOCIATED PRESS 7:04 a.m. October 27, 2005
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/nati ... orism.html
JAKARTA, Indonesia – The United States warned its citizens Thursday to avoid nonessential travel to Indonesia, saying a suicide bombing on Bali island earlier this month showed that terrorists were still active. "The possibility remains that terrorists will carry out additional attacks in Bali, Jakarta or other areas of Indonesia in the near future," the U.S. Embassy said, adding that it had received reports Americans could be targeted. The last time Washington issued such a terror alert for Indonesia was in May. The warning came hours before Jakarta Police chief Maj. Gen. Firman Gani disclosed at least 18 sites in the capital are potential targets of bomb attacks ahead of and during next week's celebration of the end of Ramadan, the Islamic month of fasting…

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 1:19 pm

Wham wrote:Well... It certainly reads that the girls were killed by MUSLIMS because they were CHRISTIAN. Hard NOT to think of it as a religious thing.

I am losing my grasp on the english language . . . what I meant was that the thread is not meant as Islam-bashing . . .

(Although some seriously sick things are done in the name of Allah . . . )

'nuff said Image

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 1:32 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
Wham wrote:Well... It certainly reads that the girls were killed by MUSLIMS because they were CHRISTIAN. Hard NOT to think of it as a religious thing.

I am losing my grasp on the english language . . . what I meant was that the thread is not meant as Islam-bashing . . .

(Although some seriously sick things are done in the name of Allah . . . )
No, you did not lose your grasp. Everybody else did. Nowhere in the article did they say they were killed by Muslims. It only said 'unidentified assailents' Yes, it did go on to reinterate the past sectarian violence there but if we take it that was are we not pre-judging then? Granted in all probability...... but that's just that - a probability not a fact.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Wham » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 9:25 pm

yea you're right - was probably just a typical Indonesian mugging because God fearing Muslims would never do anything this horrible...

Cuchu
Regular
Regular

Post by Cuchu » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 9:28 pm

Wham wrote:yea you're right - was probably just a typical Indonesian mugging because God fearing Muslims would never do anything this horrible...
Huh? Typical???

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:01 pm

Wham wrote:yea you're right - was probably just a typical Indonesian mugging because God fearing Muslims would never do anything this horrible...
Wham,

Guess I should have included my *tongue-in-cheek* smilie!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:13 pm

Meanwhile another Fundamentalist Christian has his finger hovering over a big red button, eyes rolled back "awaiting your command Lord"
some signatures are more equal than others

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Mon, 31 Oct 2005 7:54 am

Ah, I'm glad that this isn't being taken to different heights . . . :?

'nuff said Image