Singapore Expats

HOW DO U DEFINE MLM N PRYMID ???

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
pennant
Regular
Regular

HOW DO U DEFINE MLM N PRYMID ???

Post by pennant » Fri, 14 Oct 2005 11:52 am

WAT'S THE DIFFERENCE?

AND CAN I JUST COME OUT WITH A PRODUCT/SERVICE AND START MLM??

DO I NEED LICENSE OR ANYTHING?? :)

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 14 Oct 2005 12:44 pm

99.95 percent of MLM's are pyramid schemes and most all of them are illegal in Singapore although it is very hard to catch internet MLM's.

See this topic for the applicable laws.

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic13158.html

Don't be a scum and start an MLM... you'll be taking money from people under false pretense. See the 'Ten Big Lies of MLM', below.

http://www.mlmwatch.org/01General/10lies.html

sedna888

Post by sedna888 » Fri, 14 Oct 2005 11:37 pm

You have got BIG FAT pay and Expatraits Allowances, you are earning money from your co-workers and you are sitting at your comfort to surf the net and commenting othr people!

pennant
Regular
Regular

Post by pennant » Sat, 15 Oct 2005 1:40 am

thanks SE :D
was tinking of starting one :D

maybe changing my mind :wink:

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 15 Oct 2005 7:58 am

sedna888 wrote:You have got BIG FAT pay and Expatraits Allowances, you are earning money from your co-workers and you are sitting at your comfort to surf the net and commenting othr people!
And you, sir, don't know your ass from third base. If you've read ANYTHING here you'd realize that I started my own business. I've put money in. I've created jobs for other people. And the best you can do is express your bigoted views?

Besides, even if I did have a BIG FAT paycheck, MLM's would still be scams.

Do you have a problem with the truth, sonny? Did you read any of the links, sonny? MLM's are scams. Sounds like sour grapes now that you are sucked into one. How much "product" are you currently stuck with?

sedna888

Post by sedna888 » Mon, 17 Oct 2005 3:16 pm

OK, OK, if MLM is Scam, most of the business are likely to be scam.

Factory to Distributor(Mark up)
Distributor to wholesales (Another Mark up)
Whosales to retail ( Another mark up)

People willing to pay for the % mark up but they are not willing to accept Direct selling with lower price tag, why? because they don't want their friend or relative to earn their money. They willing to pay to stranger!

mrs ho

Post by mrs ho » Mon, 17 Oct 2005 9:25 pm

sedna888 wrote:OK, OK, if MLM is Scam, most of the business are likely to be scam.

Factory to Distributor(Mark up)
Distributor to wholesales (Another Mark up)
Whosales to retail ( Another mark up)

People willing to pay for the % mark up but they are not willing to accept Direct selling with lower price tag, why? because they don't want their friend or relative to earn their money. They willing to pay to stranger!
thumbs up..
yeah, its just becoz some ppl are not as wide eye opening as others.
MLM has been very common in western country, as common as our shop in neighbourhood.
and yes indeed direct distribution cut down all un-neccessary mark up and advertising $$$...
8)

i know how the others feel that about mlm, i was in your shoe once, but after i found out that its not what we think. MLM works but only with the right MLM company. I would rather start by making slow $ and survive in long run, then any other MLM who promise fast buck and end once u stop working.. 8)

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Mon, 17 Oct 2005 9:47 pm

A legitamate business is supposed to be more reliable because a registered commercial entity is supposed to be more easily held accountable than an individual who, presumably, can disappear.

So MLM is not viable in a country like Singapore because:
a) there really isn't a necessity for such a distribution network due to the proximity of basic amenities - the type of product most likely to work
b) the "black and white" mentality that is necessarily predominant here - Network Marketing, the other head of the MLM beast, depends on a culture of personal trust and responsibility, the willingness to build relationships and maintain them regardless of loss

So in theory, MLM or Network Marketing is a great idea but simply unfeasible here.
some signatures are more equal than others

sedna888

Post by sedna888 » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 12:13 pm

Just a though:

Is branded goods business a scam? they con people to purchase at very high price, 500% or more then it real worth? yet theer are people carzy for it.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 8:20 pm

No. As you said, people are crazy for it. They are entering the transaction of their own accord, with no misrepresentation from the merchant, so there is no scam going on. With branded goods, what you are paying for is not just the item itself but the reputation, prestige and sometimes quality associated with the branding.
some signatures are more equal than others

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 9:46 pm

sedna888 wrote:Just a though:

Is branded goods business a scam? they con people to purchase at very high price, 500% or more then it real worth? yet theer are people carzy for it.
What we have here is a failure to comprehend basic realities. When are you going to educate yourself, Sedna888?

sedna888

Post by sedna888 » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 12:02 am

can't I raise a question?

If this is your board and you do not like my question, then just ask me to stop post any message again!

Why people so negative about MLM is because it is much easy to get into this business. People join with HOPE but did not realize that every business need hard work, they thoght join in MLM is just like winning a lottery, that is why the people failed.

MLM is a good system; but it is people that don't know how to use this tool! When they fail, the blame the tool, not himself!

kk_lass
Reporter
Reporter

Post by kk_lass » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 12:04 am

Hmm.. i am quite surprised to see this kind of posting in the forum... I prefer to talk with proof and solid info... So i do a search on the government bodies.. and found Ministry of Trade Industry (MTI)..

Check out one link below and you will read more info about MLM legality.
http://www.mti.gov.sg/public/NWS/frm_NW ... 38&cid=950

MLM is legalized already in Singapore in June 2000. For all those who are still 'keep in the dark', either
(1) you do not want to believe or
(2) you did not keep up with the news or
(3) you are talking to wrong people who know nothing, but acts as if they know everything or
(4) you are reading misleading information..

So why dun you just check with the MTI or authoritive people who can give you correct and not misleading information??

Of course, i am not saying all MLM are legal.. Thus you must be smart to know the difference between legal ones and illegal ones.. and not to classify all as illegal.. Illegitimate MLM schemes have the characteristics mentioned in the above link.. So be a smart consumer, check it out urself to know and learn more of this law, so you will not be 'keep in the dark' or cheated by illegal ones. Notice the difference between pyramid, direct selling and Network Marketing.

The Ministry of Trade and Industry has enhanced the safeguards on MLM schemes operating in Singapore, with the aim of protecting Singaporean consumers. Thus the Multi-Level Marketing and Pyramid Selling (MLM) (Excluded Schemes and Arrangements) Order (MLM Exclusion Order for short) is revised and will take effect from 01 January 2002.

Information is there .. The Fact and the truth. But then, sometimes even if with such, people will choose not to believe. Whether you believe it .. i think everyone has a choice .. It is either a wise one .. or a not-so-wise one .. :wink:

Cheers,
:wink: :cool:
LEVERAGE ~ The ability to do MORE and MORE with less and less

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 7:20 am

You really should read for meaning, kk_lass. ALL of the things that 99.95 percent of MLM's do is ILLEGAL according to Singapore law. That's straight from the law you posted.

Does your MLM require an upfront fee? Illegal.
Do you have to buy non refundable product? Illegal.
Does your MLM talk about "profits" and not products? Illegal.
Do you get a "commission" for bringing others into the scam? Illegal.

Check the title of the law itself.

http://www.mti.gov.sg/public/PDF/CMT/fr ... er_Act.pdf

It is clear that both you and Sedna888 don't understand the fundamental flaw of MLM. You are shortsighted. It's your money. But at least read the following with comprehension in mind.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 19 Oct 2005 7:24 am

sedna888 wrote:can't I raise a question?

If this is your board and you do not like my question, then just ask me to stop post any message again!

Why people so negative about MLM is because it is much easy to get into this business. People join with HOPE but did not realize that every business need hard work, they thoght join in MLM is just like winning a lottery, that is why the people failed.

MLM is a good system; but it is people that don't know how to use this tool! When they fail, the blame the tool, not himself!
You can post whatever you want (except commerical posts soliticiting business for your MLM - do that in the classifieds). And since anyone can post on the board, I will also post what I want.

Clearly you have not bothered to read the law or the article I posted.

You want to believe in fairy tales? You think MLM is a way to make money? Go ahead. But that doesn't make it so. And the Singapore government, along with governments all over the world, have made MLM's illegal.

Only the people who START MLM's make money. They make it from suckers like you who are convinced they've found a money tree.

Return to “Business in Singapore”