Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Hopeless

Post by Hopeless » Fri, 07 Oct 2005 9:31 am

Plavt wrote:
jerr wrote:
Plavt wrote:
Cruel as it seems, you will have to consider the fact that you have been offered two jobs, not a common event in many peoples lives, struggling to get one is the norm. SIA have not offered you a job and they might not, the way in which they select their cabin crew is an enormous mystery to many and often those who seem suitable fail. In your shoes I would take a job I had been offered and then if you really want to continue your application to SIA (quietly if that is possible .i.e. don't make it known to colleagues). However, do consider the fact that cabin crew do not always have the glamorous life that people imagine. When you fly to a foreign country, do you really see it? When the crew fly to London I know they only have two nights here - when they land and you likely be exhausted, the following day and then you fly back the following day on another 13 hour flight - not much time for fun. Where could you go in that time - the major tourists areas - ok if that's what appeals to you. You would probably have more experience of another country in those other jobs. Consider your future although I don't really know living in the UK, life in Singapore seems overly harsh in some ways. There seems to be this thing of achieving your 'goal' by the time you are thirty in a country that has no social security system.

I think you may find SIA want girls who are biding their time until they find a partner. I do not know if that is the case of course but it seems quite likely given what a pilot says on his website. Best wishes in your chosen course of action.

Plavt.

not too much sure about what the pilot mention on his site, but as a flight ops crew, i find that to be the contrary. most cabin crew i know, are married or happily attached and they do stay that way. in fact, it is quite rare to hear of cabin crew trying to pally or hook up with the flight ops crew/ station mgrs/ etc... and it is true, in foreign ctys the turnaround is very short, nary sufficient to get around to seeing all the sights and sounds of the place you are in. compond that, with a lack of transport (i.e. public transport) and you are staring at a much reduced set of options to sightsee. To be honest with you, i strongly urge you to reconsider signing up for the FS position. It really is much over-hyped.

Wasn't talking about flight ops crew 'pallying' up with cabin crew. Most cabin crew 'you know' may well be married but most of the lower ranks are single. True you will have sufficient time to see the tourist attractions in a foreign country but not much more except maybe a coupel of hours in a well known spot. You would not have time see many things as they would be too far away.

Plavt.
Hi Plavt,

u're a cabin crew with SQ? Hmm..i agree with u too. The night stops outstations are now fewer days.. I suppose the longest night stops will be for the A345 crww, with abt 3 days at LAX ot NY (due to long flights). Even Europe night stops are abt 2 days the most; Asia countries 1 day.
Therefore, if one wants to venture into the outskirts of the city, it's quite difficult to do so... UNLESS u travel during ur annual leave...

Sshh

Post by Sshh » Fri, 07 Oct 2005 10:05 am

The cabin crew job is sounding more and more unappealing.. makes me wonder why we gals are so keen in joining it in the first place.

lein

Re: SQ

Post by lein » Fri, 07 Oct 2005 10:13 am

cheeky wrote:Hi there,

have anyone applied for SQ but still not get a reply from them?
i am getting anxious, i am 26 this yr alr if this rd cant try next yr they wont accept alr.
does anyone know do they actly keep the record of pple applying? i think they did...i forgot to indicate i hv applied before they may think im cheating...sigh...help me...:(
Hi cheeky
i applied on the 23 sep, still anxiously waiting too. by the way im 24 this year...tho my bday isnt over so that makes me 23. i hope they wont just throw our application aside just cos they probably meet the quota for the number of applicants. sigh! still waiting waiting...my friend called in yday to the HR dept and they said they last day they will send out invites is on the 12th. ...

Sshh

Post by Sshh » Fri, 07 Oct 2005 10:14 am

For those who are interested.. I just managed to call through the Cabin Crew Recruitment office to check if they received my application. The guy on the other line was very nice and actually helped me to check. Anyway he says that they are still in the process of sending out invitations, so it doesn't sound as if today is going to be the last day! Yippee! .. So gals who havent gotten your invite yet .. just hang in there! ..

Paige
Chatter
Chatter

SQ Application

Post by Paige » Fri, 07 Oct 2005 10:31 am

Hi Gers,

Are there anyone who is an undergrad and gt shortlisted?

Cheers!
Paige :wink:

ryonswee19

Post by ryonswee19 » Fri, 07 Oct 2005 12:41 pm

hey..dear all..
i have been tracking tis forum for few weeks. seemes every1 is having high passion in FA career,including me as well.

i just received the SIA invitation on Saturday 15th October, at
1320 hrs. Was quite suprised coz tis is my 1st applying. No matter how,will go for a try,eventhough i know i might not succeed in the coming interview.

hoping u gals n guys will receive an invitation soon.

lene67

Post by lene67 » Fri, 07 Oct 2005 1:59 pm

hi everyone,

I received the invitation 2 days ago. My time slot is 11am on 15 October. Anyone with the same time slot as mine?

Regards,

Lene

tinkerbelle

Post by tinkerbelle » Fri, 07 Oct 2005 2:36 pm

To all aspiring SIA cabin crew, GOOD LUCK to your interviews!

To all applicants who are over the age of 26, I was told, by a friend that the age limit is capped at 26. For those who are turning 27 by this year and who got shortlisted.. Ive got a few burning questions.

1) What kinda pics did you send? Full length? Professional ones taken in the studio?
2) What academic qualifications do you hold? Bachelor's degree? Masters? Overseas grad or distance learning?
3) How tall are you?

Im extremely curious why SIA didnt indicate the age limit on their webby like what the rest of the airlines do.

zoergal
Regular
Regular

Post by zoergal » Fri, 07 Oct 2005 3:22 pm

ryonswee19 wrote:hey..dear all..
i have been tracking tis forum for few weeks. seemes every1 is having high passion in FA career,including me as well.

1320 hrs. Was quite suprised because tis is my 1st applying. No matter how,will go for a try,eventhough i know i might not succeed in the coming interview.

hi ryonswee19,

me too...0920 time slot ...though i know my chances not high but juz go for the experience lor...no harm tryin though...wish those who got invited good luck...
those still waiting ...pls dun give up...still got few more days... cheerz

xoxo

Post by xoxo » Fri, 07 Oct 2005 4:04 pm

zoergal wrote:

1320 hrs. Was quite suprised because tis is my 1st applying. No matter how,will go for a try,eventhough i know i might not succeed in the coming interview.

hi ryonswee19,

me too...0920 time slot ...though i know my chances not high but juz go for the experience lor...no harm tryin though...wish those who got invited good luck...
hey Zoergal,

did u get thru to silkair 2nd interview?

lein

Post by lein » Fri, 07 Oct 2005 4:15 pm

Sshh wrote:For those who are interested.. I just managed to call through the Cabin Crew Recruitment office to check if they received my application. The guy on the other line was very nice and actually helped me to check. Anyway he says that they are still in the process of sending out invitations, so it doesn't sound as if today is going to be the last day! Yippee! .. So gals who havent gotten your invite yet .. just hang in there! ..
hi Sshh..can i have the no u called? afraid i'll get some nasty chaps who dun wanna check for me. worried they did not receive mine too...

samsoh

Post by samsoh » Fri, 07 Oct 2005 4:56 pm

hi All,

What about Invitation for steward?
Did they mentioned any thing ? Plz share if you heard any?

till waiting.... :cry:
Happy go Lucky

zoergal
Regular
Regular

Post by zoergal » Fri, 07 Oct 2005 5:28 pm

xoxo wrote:
zoergal wrote:

hi ryonswee19,

hey Zoergal,

did u get thru to silkair 2nd interview?

hi xoxo,

so sad...i didnt go for the silkair interview cos my leave was not approved...haiz...think got to wait for the nxt recruitment to come...haiz ...sighz

sunsweet

Post by sunsweet » Fri, 07 Oct 2005 5:50 pm

hey this is my second time mentioning.
im looking for people to acc me on monday silkair 2nd swimming test interview! please please reply this post if u got in to the 2nd interview.

tyty

ryonswee19

Post by ryonswee19 » Fri, 07 Oct 2005 6:01 pm

hey zoergal,

may i know how old are u? ur time slot is in the morning,is good.at least the weather wont b so hot in the early morning,u wont get frustration.

As i m not in confidence,coz of my skin,there are some zigs n acne scars left on my back.read thru the earlier messages posted,some ppl mentioned SIA will reject u due to tis problem.So,even i can get thru the 1st round interview,but dont think i can manage to get thru till last. will take tis chance as an experience then.

just a Q to ask, do we need to do manicure?n will tis action take consider by the judges when they are judging us ? as they can c the interviewee with pretty nails appearance. if there is not much big difference,perhaps i will just do my nail color on my own, as long as it is presentable...rite?