Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
zoergal
Regular
Regular

Post by zoergal » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 3:52 pm

1976 wrote:Hi ladies

A friend of mine just sms me that her friend helped her call up SQ to check on her application and was told that the reason that my friend was not shortlisted is because she is above 26years old...

Those of you who got shortlisted, anyone above 26 years old? My friend is extremely depressed now...

That's very demoralizing....

Hopeless

Post by Hopeless » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 4:24 pm

A friend of mine just sms me that her friend helped her call up SQ to check on her application and was told that the reason that my friend was not shortlisted is because she is above 26years old...

Those of you who got shortlisted, anyone above 26 years old? My friend is extremely depressed now...

Ya.... looks like theres no hope for those above 26 yrs old... same for me... *sigh* :(

Was actually surprised that their HR entertains calls from applicants..

jesslow

I'm almost 25

Post by jesslow » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 4:29 pm

zoergal wrote:

Well, I'm almost 25...hmm and I didn't receive the invitation as well. But it's ok, maybe we should try other fields of specializations...Hey life is short, get real, maybe your friend can go other areas like PR, Customer Service etc. I'm worse than her, have not much working experience, just graduated from my degree only...only have some temporary job experience but I don't put that as disadvantage...Still trying to search for my career path now. :-)
tHiNk PoSiTiVeLy!! =)

lein

Post by lein » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 4:31 pm

really..now thatwormy got her invitation and time scheduled at 12pm...i really think what are my chances since i only send in on the 23rd whereas all those who receive it sent theirs in like on the 19th. sigh..i better start finding another job cos im leasving my current job soon. stress level is too high..its killing! :(

:shock:

just

Re: I'm almost 25

Post by just » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 4:38 pm

hihi...i'm 26 going 27 this dec...n had just received my email frm them.
the timing is sat 10.30am. this will be my 2nd tries....looking forward to it...

so gals...dun be despaired...i think they will send their emails slowly...
jesslow wrote:
zoergal wrote:

Well, I'm almost 25...hmm and I didn't receive the invitation as well. But it's ok, maybe we should try other fields of specializations...Hey life is short, get real, maybe your friend can go other areas like PR, Customer Service etc. I'm worse than her, have not much working experience, just graduated from my degree only...only have some temporary job experience but I don't put that as disadvantage...Still trying to search for my career path now. :-)

just

Post by just » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 4:44 pm

Are u sure the HR will entertain outsider's(like us) call?
Hopeless wrote:

Ya.... looks like theres no hope for those above 26 yrs old... same for me... *sigh* :(

Was actually surprised that their HR entertains calls from applicants..

Beagle_lover

Post by Beagle_lover » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 4:52 pm

[quote="Juzzy"]i am wondering if there r ani girls who r invited and are 158cm like me...?

i am afraid the measuring apparatus may not be accuarate and i may be refused entry! so ma lu! :oops:

Hi Juzzy,
I had the similar problem too...i stand at ard 158-159cm only and i hrd tt our original height measurements tend to come out few cm(s) shorter than suppose.

I am so worried that i might be disqualified even b4 round 2... :cry:
Hope we will be able to pass through the first round smoothly and god bless![/code]

Beagle_lover

Post by Beagle_lover » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 5:49 pm

Juzzy wrote:i am wondering if there r ani girls who r invited and are 158cm like me...?

i am afraid the measuring apparatus may not be accuarate and i may be refused entry! so ma lu! :oops:

Hi Juzzy,
I had the similar problem too...i stand at ard 158-159cm only and i hrd tt our original height measurements tend to come out few cm(s) shorter than suppose.

I am so worried that i might be disqualified even b4 round 2...
Hope we will be able to pass through the first round smoothly and god bless! :cry:

Beagle_lover

Post by Beagle_lover » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 5:57 pm

M wrote:
rita_jean wrote:Hi M, can you please let us know what to expect on the management interview and tea party? What are the questions that they ask? I would like to know as I was not chosen after the Kebaya round and am trying again this time. Thanks!
Hello,

Questions vary during the management interview. Personal background, education, studies, work, injuries (any - don't mention them if possible). Basically anything under the sun. Please allow them to pose couple of questions and remember, it's not just your speech as much they want to know more about yourself?

Teat party takes place after the management interview and that is when the interviewers screen your teeth etc. People do get chopped at that stage so please be on your best behaviour and smile!! :cool:
silvercat wrote:M,
Could u pls clarify if the 1-1 interview is rite after the gp interview, or will it be hours later in the afternoon? would we be sitting down for that interview? how long wld the 1-1 be? ta
The waiting time probably takes another 20-45 mins before you commence with your 1-1 interview after you have cleared the 1st round. You will know if you are selected for the 2nd round right after the 1st interview, so fret not. It's painless! :cool:

For the 1-1 interview, it will be held in a room and yes you're seated down. Interviewers are probably ex IFS, LFS etc. :cool: Male and females both applicable.
Beagle_lover wrote:Hi M
Mind telling me whether is it alright if i had my hair dyed? Or shud i color it back to the original before the interview...
Thanks!
If not heavily dyed but streaked, should be ok but keep it neat. Bun them up but if heavily dyed, probably ya want to dye it black? But regarding that, I can't really advise as it really depends on yourself? :cool:
jeanettetann wrote:is the psychomatrix test important for the entire interview? why do they need us to sit for that test?
Yes. It shows your characteristics traits. Nothing much you can do or alter them. Rumoured that it's used during your management interview but I never know the real reason. :cool:

Thanks M!

I think i will just tie up my hair to make it less obvious. I hope the interviewers will not look into it as a negative aspect as i can have my hair color changed anytime.

sunsweet

Post by sunsweet » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 6:38 pm

hi people!

im happy! i'd rec silkair second interview on the coming monday 10 oct! its a swimming test! anybody rec?

wish me luck!

piggicia

Re: silkair

Post by piggicia » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 8:30 pm

xoxo wrote:
piggicia wrote:
xoxo wrote:hey! for those who had went for the silkair interview tdy, please do update us on the info... thanks

And continue to pray for the SIA invitation! All the best to all those waiting....
yeah yeah.. how did the interview today go.. mine is tml afternoon.. ahh.. a little stressed.. hehe.. fingers and toes crossed for tml.. all the best to all going for silkair interview..

waiting patiently for my SIA.. hehe..
Hi piggcia,

How's was your silkair interview yesterday? wat time was yours btw?
hihi.. mine was at 2.10.. hehe.. it was ok.. quite scary coz i tot it was a grp thingy but it turned out to be 2v1.. haha..

i recieved email for my silkair 2nd interview liaoz.. haha.. yippee..

sunsweet

Post by sunsweet » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 8:31 pm

piggicia wrote:
xoxo wrote:
piggicia wrote: yeah yeah.. how did the interview today go.. mine is tml afternoon.. ahh.. a little stressed.. hehe.. fingers and toes crossed for tml.. all the best to all going for silkair interview..

Hi piggcia,

hihi.. mine was at 2.10.. hehe.. it was ok.. quite scary because i tot it was a grp thingy but it turned out to be 2v1.. haha..

hey wanna meet on monday? cos i rec the 2nd interview too. can give me ur msn addy?i'll add u?

sunsweet

Post by sunsweet » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 8:36 pm

piggicia wrote:
xoxo wrote:
piggicia wrote: yeah yeah.. how did the interview today go.. mine is tml afternoon.. ahh.. a little stressed.. hehe.. fingers and toes crossed for tml.. all the best to all going for silkair interview..

Hi piggcia,

hihi.. mine was at 2.10.. hehe.. it was ok.. quite scary because i tot it was a grp thingy but it turned out to be 2v1.. haha..

hey wanna meet on monday? cos i rec the 2nd interview too. can give me ur msn addy?i'll add u?

cheeky

SQ

Post by cheeky » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 9:42 pm

Hi there,

have anyone applied for SQ but still not get a reply from them?
i am getting anxious, i am 26 this yr alr if this rd cant try next yr they wont accept alr.
does anyone know do they actly keep the record of pple applying? i think they did...i forgot to indicate i hv applied before they may think im cheating...sigh...help me...:(

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 07 Oct 2005 8:42 am

jerr wrote:
Plavt wrote:
rita_jean wrote:Hi everyone,

Thanks M for answering my question! That was for my friend. I do hope and pray that you get in this time round! You have such patience and a sincere desire to help everyone who has problems! that is a virtue!
Well, the last time I applied to SIA, I submitted my application form 2 days late - reason being that the mailbox was full. I did get an interview appointment but it was after the last day that official notifications were sent out. I have to say, it is VERY important to be polite and SMILE at EVERYONE when you get to the building. During the first round, it was a group interview of ard 10 girls and we had a panel of 3 interviewers. At random we were picked to answer a couple of questions pertaining to ourselves as well as an issue. It can be as challenging as my friends' who was asked about thier opinions on the IRs in Sentosa and Marina. I would not say I spoke in perfect English (nervous mah) but i guess my answer was quite sufficient. Only myself and another girl got through to the personal interview. That was a little nerve wrecking but i took a risk and cracked some jokes because there was so much tension in the room. I got through till the next round. Everything went smoothly even at psychomatrix. The sad thing is that when the time for the management round came, I wasnt in Singapore and had to postpone it for 3 months. I think that my notice of interview appointment for the management round would be after the initial interviews are over. However, I am in a conundrum. While waiting for the interview to arrive, I have been recently offered two seperate jobs which are both alluring and have long term career potential. Both pay exceptionally well ( > $3K ) and it is in MNCs. Both will have the prospect of travelling internationally as well. My family strongly encouraged me not to be a cabin crew- earn a lower wage, and do menial tasks but to join an MNC in an managerial position. But my dream is just to fly to different countries and to offer exceptional customer service. although SIA is not long term, it is something I would like to have accomplished in my life. I am at the cross-roads and if i work in the MNCs, by the time i'm out, i might be not be eligible for it. besides i'm so near to reaching my dream. but what if i reject the job offers and do not get through the final management round? i'll be left with nothing.

Cruel as it seems, you will have to consider the fact that you have been offered two jobs, not a common event in many peoples lives, struggling to get one is the norm. SIA have not offered you a job and they might not, the way in which they select their cabin crew is an enormous mystery to many and often those who seem suitable fail. In your shoes I would take a job I had been offered and then if you really want to continue your application to SIA (quietly if that is possible .i.e. don't make it known to colleagues). However, do consider the fact that cabin crew do not always have the glamorous life that people imagine. When you fly to a foreign country, do you really see it? When the crew fly to London I know they only have two nights here - when they land and you likely be exhausted, the following day and then you fly back the following day on another 13 hour flight - not much time for fun. Where could you go in that time - the major tourists areas - ok if that's what appeals to you. You would probably have more experience of another country in those other jobs. Consider your future although I don't really know living in the UK, life in Singapore seems overly harsh in some ways. There seems to be this thing of achieving your 'goal' by the time you are thirty in a country that has no social security system.

I think you may find SIA want girls who are biding their time until they find a partner. I do not know if that is the case of course but it seems quite likely given what a pilot says on his website. Best wishes in your chosen course of action.

Plavt.

not too much sure about what the pilot mention on his site, but as a flight ops crew, i find that to be the contrary. most cabin crew i know, are married or happily attached and they do stay that way. in fact, it is quite rare to hear of cabin crew trying to pally or hook up with the flight ops crew/ station mgrs/ etc... and it is true, in foreign ctys the turnaround is very short, nary sufficient to get around to seeing all the sights and sounds of the place you are in. compond that, with a lack of transport (i.e. public transport) and you are staring at a much reduced set of options to sightsee. To be honest with you, i strongly urge you to reconsider signing up for the FS position. It really is much over-hyped.

Wasn't talking about flight ops crew 'pallying' up with cabin crew. Most cabin crew 'you know' may well be married but most of the lower ranks are single. True you will have sufficient time to see the tourist attractions in a foreign country but not much more except maybe a coupel of hours in a well known spot. You would not have time see many things as they would be too far away.

Plavt.