Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
lein

Post by lein » Wed, 05 Oct 2005 1:59 pm

samsoh wrote:Does it mean that mailing through snail mail will stand a better chance to be shortlisted?

I'm still waiting........I email my application on 23 Sep early morning. Not sure they received or not.

:cry:
samsoh : lets keep our fingers crossed.....i sent in on 23rd nite time. :( sigh

samsoh

Post by samsoh » Wed, 05 Oct 2005 2:07 pm

Thanks lein.

This is my first time applying. !!!

huh!!!
Happy go Lucky

jeanettetann

Re: Many questions

Post by jeanettetann » Wed, 05 Oct 2005 4:25 pm

oic....so can those pple who got married and then got pregnant continue flying?

Guest44 wrote:
Pinkmonster wrote:Hi there everybody, Im currently 22 doing my last year in school before graduating. Am very interested in joining the cabin crew with SIA.
It would be my first job if everything goes on VERY smoothly. But I am wondering about the job opportunities after the bond? 3 years, i heard? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Is the job of a cabin crew actually seen as a professional job or is it seen as just a 'high class waitress' (as seen by the general public)? In another words, will it actually enhance my resume for future interviews? No offence please, I am really ignorant in this field of work.

Is it common for one to remain as a cabin crew member for a really long period of time or do many people actually switch jobs after their bond in SIA is up? Please help. Thanks a lot!!
Hi Pinkmonster,

The bond for cabin crew is abt 18mths, after which u can resign w/o having to pay the bond. The contract is 5-year, renewable subject to mgt and ur performance.

From my point of view, cabin crew is not considered a professional job (if u're talking abt doctors, accountants, engineers, lawyers, pilots). Therefore if u intend to embark on a career related to ur field of studies, then the experience gained as cabin crew may not be relevant. However, cabin crew DO have CRM skills. These skills would be useful in service/ sales sectors, hospitality lines, PR lines etc. because u know how to present urself in front of people, are well-groomed and has a good knowledge of food and wine and culture of different countries.

Usually cabin crew with higher qualifications tend to have a short stint as cabin crew.. UNLESS they like the job very much. Most will either save $$ to further studies, or to start their own business. Perhaps those of not so high qualifications will stay; as the remuneration they get from SIA is much more attractive than outside (with their qualifications).

There are some who resigned after marriage or become mothers, as time spent nuturing kinds are more impt to them.

Having said that, its up to u what ur present priorities are.... Good luck... :)

lein

Post by lein » Wed, 05 Oct 2005 4:29 pm

samsoh wrote:Thanks lein.

This is my first time applying. !!!

huh!!!
same here samsoh. its my first time and im getting mroe and more discouraged as time ticks by...i guess there isnt much hope left :( good luckk to both of us! :)

jeanettetann

SIA cabin crew

Post by jeanettetann » Wed, 05 Oct 2005 4:33 pm

Anyone knows if a SIA stewardess still can continue to fly after getting married n hv kids?

Hopeless

Re: SIA cabin crew

Post by Hopeless » Wed, 05 Oct 2005 5:01 pm

jeanettetann wrote:Anyone knows if a SIA stewardess still can continue to fly after getting married n hv kids?
Hi jeanettetann,

Yes u can continue flying after marriage. However if u're pregnant, u'll have to resign. Some may remark that there are ground jobs in SQ for the pregnant crew; however it's not that true after all. U can still reapply as flying mothers after ur pregnancy, provided that u regain ur figure. U'll still have to go through interviews and s short training stint...

samsoh

Post by samsoh » Wed, 05 Oct 2005 5:19 pm

hi Lein,

Me too getting more and more discouraged, time flies and If tomorrow morning still no news from them, then we should prepare to try again next round. :cry: [/quote]
Happy go Lucky

pinko

Post by pinko » Wed, 05 Oct 2005 6:03 pm

samsoh wrote:hi Lein,

Me too getting more and more discouraged, time flies and If tomorrow morning still no news from them, then we should prepare to try again next round. :cry:
[/quote]

Hi there,

Pls don't be so pessimistic... :wink:
Be patient, at least wait till end of this or next week...
During the last recuitment, my friend waited almost a month before she recieve the invite..

ABuZZ

Post by ABuZZ » Wed, 05 Oct 2005 6:50 pm

Yay!!!! Im so happy now!

I just received the invitation from SIA at around 5pm.
My time slot is at 11.40am on 15 Oct.

Anyone else got the invitation?

sgboy

Post by sgboy » Wed, 05 Oct 2005 7:42 pm

Abuzz,

For flight steward or stewardess?? When did u send ur application???

ABuZZ

Post by ABuZZ » Wed, 05 Oct 2005 8:59 pm

sgboy wrote:Abuzz,

For flight steward or stewardess?? When did u send ur application???

For Stewardess. I sent my application on 19th September.

lein

Post by lein » Wed, 05 Oct 2005 10:06 pm

pinko wrote:
samsoh wrote:hi Lein,

Me too getting more and more discouraged, time flies and If tomorrow morning still no news from them, then we should prepare to try again next round. :cry:
Hi there,

Pls don't be so pessimistic... :wink:
Be patient, at least wait till end of this or next week...
During the last recuitment, my friend waited almost a month before she recieve the invite..[/quote]

well thanks...but someone mentioned in the previous post thatt they called up SIA and they said the last day they will send out invites is this fri....and its thurs tomm. oh boy...i send in on the 23rd. aint i disappointed.....sigh

M
Reporter
Reporter

Post by M » Wed, 05 Oct 2005 11:51 pm

rita_jean wrote:Hi M, can you please let us know what to expect on the management interview and tea party? What are the questions that they ask? I would like to know as I was not chosen after the Kebaya round and am trying again this time. Thanks!
Hello,

Questions vary during the management interview. Personal background, education, studies, work, injuries (any - don't mention them if possible). Basically anything under the sun. Please allow them to pose couple of questions and remember, it's not just your speech as much they wanna know more about yourself?

Teat party takes place after the management interview and that is when the interviewers screen your teeth etc. People do get chopped at that stage so please be on your best behaviour and smile!! :cool:
silvercat wrote:M,
Could u pls clarify if the 1-1 interview is rite after the gp interview, or will it be hours later in the afternoon? would we be sitting down for that interview? how long wld the 1-1 be? ta
The waiting time probably takes another 20-45 mins before you commence with your 1-1 interview after you have cleared the 1st round. You will know if you are selected for the 2nd round right after the 1st interview, so fret not. It's painless! :cool:

For the 1-1 interview, it will be held in a room and yes you're seated down. Interviewers are probably ex IFS, LFS etc. :cool: Male and females both applicable.
Beagle_lover wrote:Hi M
Mind telling me whether is it alright if i had my hair dyed? Or shud i color it back to the original before the interview...
Thanks!
If not heavily dyed but streaked, should be ok but keep it neat. Bun them up but if heavily dyed, probably ya wanna dye it black? But regarding that, I can't really advise as it really depends on yourself? :cool:
jeanettetann wrote:is the psychomatrix test important for the entire interview? why do they need us to sit for that test?
Yes. It shows your characteristics traits. Nothing much you can do or alter them. Rumoured that it's used during your management interview but I never know the real reason. :cool:

sunsweet

Post by sunsweet » Wed, 05 Oct 2005 11:56 pm

hi there im new here

i went for thursday silkair interview. was alright. they asked alot questions like if im prepared to cut my hair short if i were told to, and i married? do i have a bf?anyways im only 21 this year also they said they would call me if im selected(doesnt sound good here) and i read previous threads abt silkair, abit hestitating now cos the pay is really too way low and the job scope its like SIA right? imagine you put in the same effort and u get half of SIA pay.

anyways i rec SIA email too, my interview is on 15 oct 840am. sigh its early in the morning. but happy enuf. and this will be my second attempt. first attempt was horrid. cos i rem, first interview is 10 girls, and the interviewer is 2 young guys( seems like they are looking for gfs) and they want us to self-intro and only like 4 or 3 got selected to the next rd and 2nd interview happen next.tats when one-to-one interview comes in. sigh. i hate these interviews but have to go thru. sighsigh :-|

anyways those who havent rec emails from SIA please dont be upset. and i dont think fri is the last day. so dont worry alright? as long u fit the requirements stated, i believe they'll invite you.

alright wish me luck for next fri, will keep u guys updated (:
xoxo

sunsweet

Post by sunsweet » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 12:02 am

btw please be polite and smiliey when u get ur pass to STC. the security there is screw up! specially the indian guy inside the counter! rem to get ur slip of paper and a pass before u in. :mad: