Singapore Expats

Immoral Dealer (used notebook, PDAs and Mobile)

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Guests

Immoral Dealer (used notebook, PDAs and Mobile)

Post by Guests » Sun, 11 Sep 2005 7:04 pm

With reference to NEWPAPER ads "used notebooks and computers ... ", i recently made numerous wasted trips and calls to those shops, claiming to give good price for used notebooks. Those ads turned out to be a gimmick. What irritates me :x most were today's dealers treat the readers as an idiot, fooling us around :???: .

My experience with the 2nd dealer (@ Burlington) were atrocious. In the paper, it advertised, a PIII notebook at range from $750. I called the man and provided him with all the specs, the latter offered $750 - $800. However, when i brought the notebook for their viewing and inspection, they commented prices of new notebooks are getting cheaper. They can't offered the price as given over the phone, the best price was $350. That was a great drop of at least 50%. I was extemely annoyed by the replied and felt terribly, cheated by the ads. The ads was not advertised months ago, i seen it on the paper almost every other day.

My advice to all, in today's market, what you see is not what you get. Dun waste yr time to pple who are not sincere to make a deal with you. And to those GIMMICKS ads and immorale dealers, dun bother wasting yr money and time on the ads. Spend those money attending some educational courses to build up yr marketing knowledge and morale value.

hippy culture

Post by hippy culture » Sun, 11 Sep 2005 7:34 pm

the moral of the story is, even dealers need to smell flower power. the next time when you walk into a shop, carry a flower in your pocket . no pocket? plant it into your crop of hair. no hair? erm, hold it between your teeth.
hopefully, flowers will bring you better deals.

Post by Guest » Mon, 12 Sep 2005 5:29 am

Sorry mate, but if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. $750 for a used P3 notebook? No way. Notebook prices have fallen substantially these days. Just look at what is available for $2k or even less now.

You should be happy with $350.

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Post by Carpe Diem » Mon, 12 Sep 2005 8:05 am

Notebooks are the same as everything else: too expensive when buying, too cheap when selling... :wink:
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

C J

Post by C J » Mon, 12 Sep 2005 6:06 pm

The guy's not complaining bout the depreciated value of his laptop.
He's pissed at the way he was 'tricked' into going down to the shops
wif their offer of a 'high' price.

One of my friend had the unfortunate experience when she called
some of the ads in the classifieds.
Seems like these guys are never sincere and truthful.
I was so pissed, i spent the next whole week calling almost all their ads
and even arranging for some of them to pick up my 'used laptop'
from my 'address'. 8)

I dun mean to be mean but u really got to try calling some of them
then you'll know wat i mean..

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Post by Carpe Diem » Mon, 12 Sep 2005 6:12 pm

C J wrote:The guy's not complaining bout the depreciated value of his laptop.
He's pissed at the way he was 'tricked' into going down to the shops
wif their offer of a 'high' price.

One of my friend had the unfortunate experience when she called
some of the ads in the classifieds.
Seems like these guys are never sincere and truthful.
I was so pissed, i spent the next whole week calling almost all their ads
and even arranging for some of them to pick up my 'used laptop'
from my 'address'. 8)

I dun mean to be mean but u really got to try calling some of them
then you'll know wat i mean..
Well I understand what the OP mean. And also what you mean.
I just wanted to bring a new point in the discussion, not being mean, see what I mean?
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

C J

Post by C J » Sat, 17 Sep 2005 4:31 am

my post was actually targeted at 'guest', not u, carpe diem.
sorry i didn't use the quote.

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

Re: Immoral Dealer (used notebook, PDAs and Mobile)

Post by Scorpion » Sat, 17 Sep 2005 4:49 am

Guests wrote:With reference to NEWPAPER ads "used notebooks and computers ... ", i recently made numerous wasted trips and calls to those shops, claiming to give good price for used notebooks. Those ads turned out to be a gimmick. What irritates me :x most were today's dealers treat the readers as an idiot, fooling us around :???: .

My experience with the 2nd dealer (@ Burlington) were atrocious. In the paper, it advertised, a PIII notebook at range from $750. I called the man and provided him with all the specs, the latter offered $750 - $800. However, when i brought the notebook for their viewing and inspection, they commented prices of new notebooks are getting cheaper. They can't offered the price as given over the phone, the best price was $350. That was a great drop of at least 50%. I was extemely annoyed by the replied and felt terribly, cheated by the ads. The ads was not advertised months ago, i seen it on the paper almost every other day.

My advice to all, in today's market, what you see is not what you get. Dun waste yr time to pple who are not sincere to make a deal with you. And to those GIMMICKS ads and immorale dealers, dun bother wasting yr money and time on the ads. Spend those money attending some educational courses to build up yr marketing knowledge and morale value.
These acts are not only for the computers, for most of the electronics items in town.

Why can't try the yahoo or ebay singapore auction site, sure you would be getting a good bargain there. :cool:

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Post by riversandlakes » Mon, 19 Sep 2005 7:32 pm

What's the specs of your notebook? I'm hunting for one right now...

Need the lowest specs I can get, as long as it's >P1 and >K6
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

Laptop

Post by Scorpion » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 2:55 am

riversandlakes wrote:What's the specs of your notebook? I'm hunting for one right now...

Need the lowest specs I can get, as long as it's >P1 and >K6

Hi, you can refer to these webpages

Desktop
http://page.auctions.yahoo.com/sg/auction/93050020
http://www.ebay.com.sg/viItem?ItemId=5241166438

Laptop
http://page.auctions.yahoo.com/sg/auction/93027335
http://www.ebay.com.sg/viItem?ItemId=5241473256

cheers
When u Need Someone to Be Beside u And No One Is Around Just Gaze Up In The Sky,u Might Not See Me But Be Sure That We r Under The Same Sky,I wl'd Never B 2 Far....

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Tue, 04 Oct 2005 1:37 pm

Please don't take this the wrong way but just want to provide my input.

Used laptop and computer products have a very low resale value, if any, since they become outdated very fast. In California, we may even have to pay a fee to dispose of it and I don't exactly know under what criteria will such a fee be imposed.

I do not know if you are a Singaporean. I think people in Singapore are sometimes unrealistic in their expectations and expect the world to work out exactly the way they want it. This is largely due to being too "spoilt" by governmenet and family who tries to provide too many things for us and we look at the world with rose-tinted glasses. Any Singaporeans who have experience living overseas will realise that we really have it too good back home. I know many Singaporeans travel widely for vacation but that is different matter than living and experiencing another country.

I, myself, have my share of such encounters living in this part of the world. I called the car dealer about selling my used car. He provided me a quote over the phone and when I showed my with my car, price given was less than half. Of course, I was disappointed but live and learn and I move on, more the wiser about how the world works.