Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Hopeless

Post by Hopeless » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 5:28 pm

exotica wrote:hey,

I just found out from my cousin who flies for SQ that some cabin crew ask money on the sly to change flights.

Recently, we needed to attend a wedding of a very close relative and when she tried to change flights, she had to pay another stewardess about $200 to do it for her. It came as quite a shock! Apparently, some of them charge as much as $400

Of because, there also the nice ones who do it for you FOC. But its kinda scary the kind of politics they have... anyway, its illegal to do it.. but they have an 'underground' economy going on :?
Hi exotica,

it's known as "topping up" the $$ when u exchange a flight...and it's usually agreed mutually, so u cant say its unethical.

Some crew may need to change flights for many reasons. Could be that A may wana give up a long flight for turnarounds (due to family commitments); B wans a long flight (for $ or to travel to that country to meet frens or to b on same flight as bfs/gfs). Naturally the turnaround flights do not yeild alot of $$, therefore both parties will usually come to a consenses that B "tops up" a reasonable sum of $$ to A (of course not the WHOLE flight allowances) to make up for A's losses. B will lose out abit in terms of the allowances...but when one needs that specific flight desperately, that "loss" is nothing...

tinkerbelle

Post by tinkerbelle » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 6:42 am

Hopeless wrote:
mousey_val wrote:Hi Paige,

Well, I sent in several times..even before they put up the DATE of submission. I was told that my application will be in KIV status. Then I sent in twice after that during early september and today just the notification.

Paige, don't worry you will get your invites soon!... if possible, we can chat in msn: add me at~[email protected]

:wink:
Hi mousey_val,

congrats! at least u've received the news from Silkair....unlike Paige and I.... All the best ya... :)
Paige sent in after the application closed. Anyway, Silkair always do a walk-in den write in. So during the next intake.. juz make sure u give it a shot.

tinkerbelle

Post by tinkerbelle » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 6:45 am

I just found out from my cousin who flies for SQ that some cabin crew ask money on the sly to change flights.

Recently, we needed to attend a wedding of a very close relative and when she tried to change flights, she had to pay another stewardess about $200 to do it for her. It came as quite a shock! Apparently, some of them charge as much as $400

Of because, there also the nice ones who do it for you FOC. But its kinda scary the kind of politics they have... anyway, its illegal to do it.. but they have an 'underground' economy going on :?
Is that true? How horrible.. hmm.. lets "expose" these ppl when we get in.. :)

tinkerbelle

Post by tinkerbelle » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 6:46 am

mousey_val wrote:Dear Hopeless,

hey! Brighten up...i havent got in yet...wait till i get in then i will jump for joy man..

wait for your email...i think its coming real soon for you too okie?
You're so sweet mousey_val.. im sure your reply is juz late. Keep checking your mail!!

M
Reporter
Reporter

Post by M » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 7:07 am

tinkerbelle wrote:

This culture has been there for ages and it's minor. This is being practised in SAF too so I reckon it's a small deal? Cash for time off? Fair enough isn't it? :cool:

Beagle_lover

Post by Beagle_lover » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 9:29 am

Well it might sound unfavorable to some of you all but when it comes to a situation where you desperately need to exchange your schedules, you will willingly pay to give your plan a smooth going. Trust me, you could be the one receiving your compensation... :wink:

Why not make everyone a happier person? A gets to spend few days off with her beloved while B does her flight and pocket what she deserves. It could be a turnaround thingamajig. Who knows...B might offer A her long flight haul the next time over a special occasion.

tinkerbelle

Post by tinkerbelle » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 10:23 am

M wrote:
tinkerbelle wrote:

This culture has been there for ages and it's minor. This is being practised in SAF too so I reckon it's a small deal? Cash for time off? Fair enough isn't it? :cool:
well.. to each his own.. you're entitled to your fair share of opinions!! :D

tinkerbelle

Post by tinkerbelle » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 10:26 am

Beagle_lover wrote:Well it might sound unfavorable to some of you all but when it comes to a situation where you desperately need to exchange your schedules, you will willingly pay to give your plan a smooth going. Trust me, you could be the one receiving your compensation... :wink:

Why not make everyone a happier person? A gets to spend few days off with her beloved while B does her flight and pocket what she deserves. It could be a turnaround thingamajig. Who knows...B might offer A her long flight haul the next time over a special occasion.
R u in SQ?

Beagle_lover

Post by Beagle_lover » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:34 pm

Hi Tinkerbelle,

FYI, i'm like others, applying for the current SIA opening. My previous comment was just based on my own point of view.

Beagle_lover

Post by Beagle_lover » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:39 pm

*Sob* SOb*

How come i fail to attach other's comments to my reply post? I tried many times but it didnt work. Can anyone helpful enuf to teach me? Pls...

I must admit that i'm a total PC idiot

Hopeless

Post by Hopeless » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 1:52 pm

Beagle_lover wrote:Hi Tinkerbelle,

FYI, i'm like others, applying for the current SIA opening. My previous comment was just based on my own point of view.
Hi Beagle_Lover,

any news from SIA yet? :)

Beagle_lover

Post by Beagle_lover » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 2:09 pm

Dear Hopeless,

Not yet le...still counting my days. Sigh...

Anyway, we keep each of us informed k :)

Good luck! 8) [/quote][/code][/list][/list][/url]

Hopeless

Post by Hopeless » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 2:35 pm

Beagle_lover wrote:Dear Hopeless,

Not yet le...still counting my days. Sigh...

Anyway, we keep each of us informed k :)

Good luck! 8)
[/code][/list][/list][/url][/quote]

Hi Beagle_Lover,

u have msn account? perhaps we can communicate via that... :)

Beagle_lover

Post by Beagle_lover » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 5:28 pm

Hi Hopeless,

you can add me via [email protected]

we'll chat there then
:lol:

summerchic

Post by summerchic » Sat, 01 Oct 2005 2:24 am

I applied for both SQ and Silkair since the ads came out together this time round.. haven't gotten a reply yet though. For those who have gotten theirs, do keep us informed yah!

DO PM me if you'd like to exchange email addys for MSN. :)