Singapore Expats

What to do when migraine strikes? Painkiller suggestion pls

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

What to do when migraine strikes? Painkiller suggestion pls

Post by Kimi » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 5:07 pm

I have a rather bad headache today and another day this week which was even much worse and actually have been having heaps of Panadol and slept a lot cos I couldn' t do anything the other day :( Not even just to watch TV nor read cos it would make the headache worse.
What do you when your migraine strikes?
Or what kind of painkiller would you take? I asked Watson if they have Ibuprofen and they said no :(

ouch

Post by ouch » Sun, 21 Aug 2005 9:17 pm

I can sympathise with you, I get a few headaches and every few months I get stuck by a migrane, where I cant see, throw up - the works. The best thing I have found is lavender oil on the temples and a hot facewasher on my forehead, despite the fact that cold packs are recommended.
In Aus, I used to get these tablets called Mersyndol - amazing. Not sure f you can get them here.
Good luck though, I feel for you.

expatlady
Regular
Regular

Post by expatlady » Mon, 22 Aug 2005 1:35 pm

What have you done last Fri nite :wink:

Joke asides, I would like to share my experience:-
I usually can feel it before it can strikes hard on me say in couple hours so I will quickly have a cup of coffee before it gets worse. Don't you have the feeling when it is coming..? I feel much relief after consuming it. But there are times a cuppa/caffeine will not do the magic.

As ouch mentioned, I do feel like throwing up, blur vision, get hammered one side of the head near to temples... I feel very helpless at this point, what I will do usually is to stay away from the crowd, the noise, no lights, lay on bed and have rest... you need patience for this to let it go away.... in other words, I studied how can I recover each time... a lot of self-help as I do not rely on medicine.

Btw, I used to have "ponstan"(correct spelt?) that you cannot get it over-the-counter it must be from doc prescription and now I refrain myself from that and Panadol and any other medicines... I kinda know the tricks now, which applies to me of course, to get it off my head.

Cheers
EPL

Post by Guest » Thu, 25 Aug 2005 1:12 am

Now is 1.18am for me. It is about 4 hrs since i had my migrane attack. Same situation - no appetite, throw up, bad headache, lie still on bed, etc. Took 3 of the tablets which was given to me by my doc. Take a look at them and I think it had caffeine contents too. Well, if that's the case, i think taking some coffee or caffeine stuffs does help in a way.

G_I_L

Post by G_I_L » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 2:02 pm

im having migrane now and den too..
by taking panadol and a nap,relieves the pain..

normally before i got migrane,
i will hav the aura..
it seem like a bright light shines on my eyes about 30 mins before the migrane strucks..
really irritating..
so wen i got tat aura,i will bring along paraceptamol/panadol out...

so if u got migrane often,
get ready panadol or a better painkiller like ibuprofen in ur bag..
it will be useful... :wink:

rpammi

oooohh

Post by rpammi » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 2:44 pm

Migraine is really tormenting,, I have a bad history,, its only when I sit and cry ,then it gets relieved a little,, but once in the middle of the night ,,i had to go NUH ,,and was given an injection tht kept the Migraine away for abt a year ...
Used to take Synflex,,wch doctor's claim is strong but even tht doesnt work on me,,now I take Ponstan,,anyhow,, Ayurvedic medicine does help but you need lots of rest ..

kk_lass
Reporter
Reporter

Post by kk_lass » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 1:21 am

Hi all..

Used to rely on western medicine to do quick fix.. but realize that those are not fixing the real problem.. so from then, i seek to the holistic treatment.. And now i am a strong supporter for Holistic treatment esp Aromatheraphy..

Citronelle can help on migrane.. u need not believe me.. but u just need to try them

Cheers,
take care
LEVERAGE ~ The ability to do MORE and MORE with less and less

sms98582294

Migraine

Post by sms98582294 » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 3:12 pm

I used to have a minor migraine. It was due mainly to the multiple shift work that I was doing last time. Anyway I've gotten over it by getting a lot of rest.

Phew the pain and mental state was just too much to bear. Had to quit the job because of this.

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Post by Carpe Diem » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 3:29 pm

Hi Kimi!

Fiirst stop drinking, it should help...
Second have you tried Advil? It works great in my case.
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Kimi » Tue, 04 Oct 2005 1:21 am

Carpe Diem wrote:Hi Kimi!

I don't drink, honest!
Hey I'm not your twin! :P

Can't sleep tonight, so do reckon will have migraine tomorrow most likely :(
I have tried Ibuprofen which I got from a friend outside Japan when I was in Japan as one of the painkillers that worked in times, and sometimes not really when the headache is just too painful :cry:
At the moment, the nearly next best thing I found here is Nurofen with 200mg of Ibuprofen B.P. in each tablet and the other day when I had a quite bad headache, I had to take about 4 in total in a day, 2 initially and 1 every 3/4 hr.
Where can I buy this Advil by any chance?
Haven't asked the drug store here :oops:

TCCP

MINIMISE MIGRANE ATTACK

Post by TCCP » Fri, 07 Oct 2005 9:25 pm

Hi there,

I have read so much about migrane, migrane, migrane. The stress related problem.

I used to have frequent migrane attack that sometimes lasted 2 weeks. Painkillers offered temporary relieve but when the drug wears off, the pain comes back.

My sister asked me to try this product called Intra and see if it works. God knows how it happens. Amazingly, it does work. My last attack was 6 months ago. Word just cannot tell how relieve I am now. Don't know if Intra will work wonders for you like to did to me. I continue taking Intra for a year now.

Be assure you have sufficient rest, eat orderly and drink enough fluid. And......... E X E R C I S E too. Lead a healthier lifestyle. No no to any smoking and drinking.

Call me at 9671 8742 if you care to try Intra and see for yourself if it will minise your migrane attack.
Hi, I'm Theresa. We assist in searching a nice home for you; looking alternative jobs according to your data and IT projects for your organisation; support parenting and good health issues faced.

little_bold_bear

Post by little_bold_bear » Sat, 08 Oct 2005 12:15 am

A lot of migraines are caused by stress. Usually a blood vessel gets constricted or pinched by a muscle, and eventually the pressure results in a migraine. If the pain originates in the same place most of the time, you can talk to a doctor about having a botulin (Botox) injection-- this works really well, and recurrence is very rare.

If your migraines are few and far between, then medication is probably best. Talk to your GP and get a prescription for codeine--it works for me. I find that Ibuprofen doesn't work at all for me. Codeine doesn't work for 10% of the human population though because they lack the enzyme required to convert codeine (the prodrug) to morphine (the active drug), but it is always worth trying. It will make you drowsy though.

Another drug you might try, but which I find quite expensive and rather ineffective myself, is ergotamine (Cafergot). Sumatripan works for some, not for me.

Try (S)-ibuprofen first. If it doesn't work, try the others until you find one which is effective. Be sure to discuss it with a proper doctor. These drugs can be quite dangerous--ergotamine, for one, leads to ergot poisoning then gangrene if taken in the wrong dosage. There is another drug which is related to lysergic acid, which I personally wouldn't want to risk.

Drinking does NOT cause migraines. It has no effect either way. Caffeine, by the way, won't cure a migraine but it does have a synergistic effect with a lot of drugs.

If you want a preventive measure, then I'd recommend 50-100mg of nicotinamide (vitamin B3) daily. We haven't quite worked out why this works, but it does. It is possibly due to the fact that nicotinamide is a vasodilator (dilates blood vessels), and this actuallyinhibits stress response. Proof of point: you will actually find B3 makes you feel calmer (though it causes a bit of flushing), and it becomes *really hard* to lose your temper. :D

Hope this helps.

Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Kimi » Mon, 17 Oct 2005 3:07 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:Hi Kimi!

Will buy Advil here in US, do you want any CD?

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Post by Carpe Diem » Mon, 17 Oct 2005 3:31 pm

No I am fine thanks, i am going to Europe soon. But does it work for you?
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

Scarlet Pimpernel

Post by Scarlet Pimpernel » Fri, 28 Oct 2005 1:48 am

For your info , Advil is actually ibuprofen. Always check the proprietary name of the drug before you buy. For example, paracetamol is also called Panadol, Biogesic etc, by the different drug companies. So you could end up taking the same type of medication.
A lot of people do not know that stress and food allergy can cause migraine. Each time you have an attack of migraine, think back and try to remember what you have just eaten. Usually the main culprits are chocolates, caffeine, nuts. So by drinking lots more coffee to get rid of your headache it may even make it worse