Singapore Expats

Another Freakin' Hurricane

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Kats_ » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 6:15 pm

My prayers are with you SE.

I hope the target place can be evacauted quickly, esp. the old and the disabled.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 7:13 am

Thank you ALL for your kind words and prayers. And I thank God for my neighbor. He owns a plumbing wholesale company and he managed to source some plywood, then he and his son came over and boarded the windows for my wife. There are truly some fine people in this world.

And it looks like the hurricane may come in the the east of Houston... very bad for Beaumont... but better for Houston since the west side of hurricane is less intense.

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiki » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 7:46 am

SE my prayers are with your family and friends. I lived in FL for a period and I know how and what it feels like to be in the eye of the storm.

..be strong SE.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 7:56 am

gosh SE, what a bummer. will keep your wife in my prayers [-o< hope your property won't sustain too much damage either though like you said her safety is the main thing right now. let me know if i can help in any way.

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Ling2 » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 11:27 am

Is it me or it's the number of hurricane increasing by the years? Is these the cause of global warming?

SE, since I don't pray, am keeping my fingers & two toes crossed for all in Texas, got a good gal friend there too..but she is in dallas, probably won't be affected.

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiki » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 11:48 am

Ling2 wrote:Is it me or it's the number of hurricane increasing by the years? Is these the cause of global warming?

SE, since I don't pray, am keeping my fingers & two toes crossed for all in Texas, got a good girl friend there too..but she is in dallas, probably won't be affected.
Apparently an increase in the air temperature has resulted in more Hurricanes/ Storms this year. The average it's usually about 5 or 6 if I'm not mistaken but this year there could be more.

The thing with hurricanes,IMHO and experience..you can never be too prepared for them and you must never under estimate as well.

For those not affected like we here, we can only pray for their well-being and SE or whoever else with families and friends in the danger are, even if we can't do much,let us know if there's anything that we can.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 11:51 am

The number of hurricanes has been increasing. However, similar cycles have been observed in previous decades as well so global warming cannot necessarily be blamed for the number of hurricanes.

However, over the last three decades hurricanes have become more powerful with damage claims now three times what they were three decades ago (in adjusted dollars). So, it seems that increasing surface temperatures of the oceans are making for more powerful storms.

I think it is things like this that will finally compel action on global warming. The day the insurance companies refuse to insure or raise rates so high as to make it unaffordable is the day that companies will take it seriously and start pressuring for real change... not like the garbage energy bill that our spineless US Congress passed.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 4:23 pm

The primary reason for the increase in the number of hurricanes and particularly the strenght is being attributed to 2 main reasons.

Firstly the June-August summer temperatures were 1.2 degree higher than the normal but the most important factor was the gulf water temperatures are 1-2 degrees higher which reasons for the high wind speeds.

The insurance market will never pull out of placing policies but rates will probably rise or more strict conditions may be applied. This will affect states where Codes of Constructions are rather poor e.g Mississippi has the worse compared to Florida.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 9:34 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
I worry about my wife. There is not a sheet of plywood to be had within a 100 miles of Houston, and that means the windows in our home cannot be boarded up. If flying debris hits the big picture windows, it will be a mess. So perhaps best if she is out of the way of the hurricane. We can always fix/replace stuff... her safety is paramount.
SE, best wishes for the safety of your family
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape