Singapore Expats

Telly addicts

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bubbles » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 3:58 pm

I have to add my two penneth worth here.

If these 'reality' shows were not hugely popular, and therefore, moneymakers, for the companies that make them, then they would never get to the screen. The regularity with which they do is proof that a huge number of people like them, and of all generations.

I think it is quite sad actually, that people find watching orchestrated (for that is what they are) situations, mostly drab and ridiculous in content, entertaining.

I know, each to his own, and all that, but don't you ask yourself what the standard of viewing is now?

Here in the UK we have so many of these programmes and each seems to be worse than the other...

Big Brother.....(show where they put about 12 people together for a month in a house and play them off against each other, film them 24/7, encourage them to be outrageous, then the viewers vote them off, one by one..........we've had real sex these last few times)

Wife Swap..........where wives swap houses for two weeks, often with aggressive consequenses..

Pop Idol

etc etc etc

If there were no demand, there'd be no supply, but I for one find it very, very sad that the nations consciousness is filled with such utter crap.

I know I sound old fashioned here, but I think this sort of total rubbish contributes to the dumbing down of peoples get up and go, their aspirational quality, if you like.

What do you get from watching them apart from the vicarious pleasure of snatching a glimpse of others' lives? Of enjoying their downfalls?

Where are the programmes based in REAL reality? Not the ones where just off camera the director is egging you on to do outrageous stuff just to make it more interesting?

I think the whole lot of these programmes are total and utter rubbish, yes, they are a laugh sometimes, but only if you realise what is REALLY going on, and that is that you are being manipulated to believe the pap you're watching is true to life...'reality.'

Of course, I still believe in the right of anyone to watch anything, or do anything (which includes realistic descriptions of sexual acts, which let's face it, is reality for some)...but this is a plea for us to see just how far we're being manipulated by the Big Boys of tv. They're clapping their hands in glee at our dumbness.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 4:06 pm

Bubbs,

exactly what I was trying to say, and exactly my feeling as well. Just that I believe the marketing of these shows are so incredibly agressive and well orchestrated, that quite a few of the ignorants in front of the tele don't even 'like' watching it, they just swallow it, as somehow their minds have stopped thinking and instead of living a life, they are consuming the irreal world shown to them in their face.

And when reading people actually say they learn from this, wow.... :???:

Eric

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Kats_ » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 5:25 pm

Bubbles wrote:I have to add my two penneth worth here.

If these 'reality' shows were not hugely popular, and therefore, moneymakers, for the companies that make them, then they would never get to the screen. The regularity with which they do is proof that a huge number of people like them, and of all generations..
This can be applied to everything in this world. Books - for instance. Rowling became richer than the queen overnight. Are you going to turn around and say that it is just because people fell for her imagination letting her earn. Wouldnt you applaud at her success instead? Think of the number of budding writers whom she would have inspired. Again, arent there good and crappy book around? Would you say that all books are crap just beacuse you read some trash?

Ofcourse you are going to have competetion and ofcourse the aspiring producers will try to bring in new shows which might bring in great viewership. Some fail some excel.

and please, just because I used Rowling as an example dont throw things like Santa Claus tantrum again.
Bubbles wrote: Here in the UK we have so many of these programmes and each seems to be worse than the other...

Big Brother.....(show where they put about 12 people together for a month in a house and play them off against each other, film them 24/7, encourage them to be outrageous, then the viewers vote them off, one by one..........we've had real sex these last few times)

Wife Swap..........where wives swap houses for two weeks, often with aggressive consequenses..

Pop Idol
I wanst taking about them all and I wasnt generalising them. It seems you guys are having trouble seperating the good from the bad; you guys just categorise them all together.

What is wrong with pop idol by the way? Surely, prodcuers are making BIG money but be a bit optimistic, cant you see how it actually encourages the hidden talent to come out? Do you always see the bad in everything? Surely not, right?
Bubbles wrote: If there were no demand, there'd be no supply, but I for one find it very, very sad that the nations consciousness is filled with such utter crap.

Bubbles, you got is right..if there were no demand thr'd be no supply. Funny, I must add that there would be no creativity either. If everyone thought like you, then we would be still living in ice age.
Bubbles wrote: What do you get from watching them apart from the vicarious pleasure of snatching a glimpse of others' lives? Of enjoying their downfalls
Again, why do you guys generalise? 'Of enjoying their downfalls' - that is really pessimistic of you Bubbles, to say that. Do you really feel that the entire world is watching the shows to see someone fail? Even so, some people surely judge the casts while watching those shows and I dont deny it ....but arent you guys judging the viewers here?
Bubbles wrote: Where are the programmes based in REAL reality? Not the ones where just off camera the director is egging you on to do outrageous stuff just to make it more interesting?
Why dont you create one with "REAL" reality instead of whining here about it?

Bubbles wrote: Of course, I still believe in the right of anyone to watch anything, or do anything (which includes realistic descriptions of sexual acts, which let's face it, is reality for some)...but this is a plea for us to see just how far we're being manipulated by the Big Boys of tv. They're clapping their hands in glee at our dumbness.

Honestly, bubbles you really underestimate the viewership. Give them some credit - they are not all stupid. Manipulated - is that all you guys can think of?

Eric, if that is what you meant and wanted to say then you werent clear at all throwing a few words like misled and fooled here and there.

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiki » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 5:29 pm

Bubbles wrote:I have to add my two penneth worth here.

If these 'reality' shows were not hugely popular, and therefore, moneymakers, for the companies that make them, then they would never get to the screen. The regularity with which they do is proof that a huge number of people like them, and of all generations.

I think it is quite sad actually, that people find watching orchestrated (for that is what they are) situations, mostly drab and ridiculous in content, entertaining.

I know, each to his own, and all that, but don't you ask yourself what the standard of viewing is now?

Here in the UK we have so many of these programmes and each seems to be worse than the other...

Pop Idol

etc etc etc

If there were no demand, there'd be no supply, but I for one find it very, very sad that the nations consciousness is filled with such utter crap.

I know I sound old fashioned here, but I think this sort of total rubbish contributes to the dumbing down of peoples get up and go, their aspirational quality, if you like.

What do you get from watching them apart from the vicarious pleasure of snatching a glimpse of others' lives? Of enjoying their downfalls?

Where are the programmes based in REAL reality? Not the ones where just off camera the director is egging you on to do outrageous stuff just to make it more interesting?

I think the whole lot of these programmes are total and utter rubbish, yes, they are a laugh sometimes, but only if you realise what is REALLY going on, and that is that you are being manipulated to believe the pap you're watching is true to life...'reality.'

Of course, I still believe in the right of anyone to watch anything, or do anything (which includes realistic descriptions of sexual acts, which let's face it, is reality for some)...but this is a plea for us to see just how far we're being manipulated by the Big Boys of tv. They're clapping their hands in glee at our dumbness.
MsBubbles I caught on of em 'swap' reality shows- Office Swap or something,where they swap bosses for 2weeks. It's a UK production and it was pretty allright going by that one epsiode I saw.

I can't remember wot day it's on but it's showing here in Singapore on TV8, a Malaysian channel.

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiki » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 5:33 pm

sapphire wrote:Yep, all reality shows are hogwash! I used to watch Amazing Race as well, not anymore. All predetermined to a large extent. The Apprentice... ugh! However, among all the reality shows, Amazing Race is the most bearable one.

I like comedies, Seinfeld was a fave, Friends not bad either. Everybody Loves Raymond was good as well. The Office was a blast. Frasier has its moments. I wish they would telecast Will & Grace here.

I also watch The Shield, and will watch The Sopranos when it starts.

Lastly three cheers for erotica. :D

Now will you two (Eric and Kats) stop bickering and agree to disagree? :P
Sapphire you meantioned Erotica which brings to mind a particulat show I saw on telly in the States: 'Silk Stalkings'.

When I was growing up, erotica on the tube meant 'Solid Gold'.

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 5:54 pm

And then there's the Jerry Springer show! :o
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 6:02 pm

Kats_ wrote: Ofcourse you are going to have competetion and ofcourse the aspiring producers will try to bring in new shows which might bring in great viewership. Some fail some excel....

Mainstream is really your thing, isn't it? Would not be surprised if you watched Pulp Fiction, hoping you get more pulp to be consumed and then turning it off as it showed to be horribly 'real' and explicit. Eeeksss...
Kats_ wrote:What is wrong with pop idol by the way? Surely, prodcuers are making BIG money but be a bit optimistic, cant you see how it actually encourages the hidden talent to come out? Do you always see the bad in everything? Surely not, right?.....
Are you always so naive? Sheesh, first one had to open your eyes by saying it is fake what you get to consume on tv, now you seem to think it is for the sake of 'hidden talents' to come out an play and get famous. Which one you consider 'talent'? Taufik and alikes? Rock 'n roll to you?
Kats_ wrote:Bubbles, you got is right..if there were no demand thr'd be no supply. Funny, I must add that there would be no creativity either. If everyone thought like you, then we would be still living in ice age....
Mainstream pulp is not creativity, it is industrialised repeating of the same old nonsense. Different flavour, otherwise you get too bored.

Please, please give me a definition of creativity? You sincerely like those gipsy paintings on the wall in your living room?
Kats_ wrote:Why dont you create one with "REAL" reality instead of whining here about it?....
That's what I am saying Kats, get real, start living, instead of getting all high on tv pulp.
Kats_ wrote:Honestly, bubbles you really underestimate the viewership. Give them some credit - they are not all stupid. Manipulated - is that all you guys can think of?
Dream on baby... (oops, sexually too explicit for Kats most likely)
Kats_ wrote:Eric, if that is what you meant and wanted to say then you werent clear at all throwing a few words like misled and fooled here and there.
Hope you get it now?

Eric

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 6:12 pm

Kats, I would like to add here a specific example of my niece in India. She went for the prelims of Indian Idol. Very talented singer, was not even given the chance to sing in front of the three judges. The woman supervising the prelims sat there looking bored, yawned and waved her off.
My niece has just signed a contract with a music company to cut an album. To add to her talent, she also has the looks. So, I really wonder what did that supervisor not see in her.

These shows are all fixed, hidden talent left hidden. The current Indian Idol is an average singer.
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 6:31 pm

These reality so called scripted shows have a lot to answer to and one in particular should be made accountable and punished accordingly for imposing that wonderful now married couple......... Jordan and Peter Andre :mad: :mad: ](*,) :mad: ](*,) :mad:

Since when can you call that reality?!

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 6:32 pm

It really strikes me how naive Kats can be, if she thinks it is about 'talent' and 'creativity'. I find it amazing, really, just awesome.

Eric

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Kats_ » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 6:41 pm

So much for telling that I enjoy watching telly.

I never denied taht they were fixed; what I am asking you to do is to look at it from a positive side.; you might actually enjoy it! (by the looks of it i dount it as you seem to be very "real" and "live your life")

Being inspired by watching something is one thing and loooking for the evil in it is another. Thats all.

One can be inspired by such reality shows and surpirse themselves with what they can do in their lives. There are so many movies which actually inspire me in a similar way.

Once again, can you really appreciate something?

Gypsy painting? Again? WHy? cause I asked you not to say Santa Claus
?

You are asking me to define what is 'creativity'? I expected you to define and correct me there ....if you get the drift.

You dont want to watch it, fine be my guest. Just stop sounding so condescending.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 6:55 pm

Kats_ wrote:So much for telling that I enjoy watching telly.

I never denied taht they were fixed; what I am asking you to do is to look at it from a positive side.; you might actually enjoy it! (by the looks of it i dount it as you seem to be very "real" and "live your life")

Being inspired by watching something is one thing and loooking for the evil in it is another. Thats all.

One can be inspired by such reality shows and surpirse themselves with what they can do in their lives. There are so many movies which actually inspire me in a similar way.

Once again, can you really appreciate something?

Gypsy painting? Again? WHy? cause I asked you not to say Santa Claus
?

You are asking me to define what is 'creativity'? I expected you to define and correct me there ....if you get the drift.

You dont want to watch it, fine be my guest. Just stop sounding so condescending.
So now it is about being positive, is it? Not anymore about talents, creativity, reality etc.

And you do not want to take the initiative of defining creativity. Would have thought so, too much used to just sit back and receive the information, right?

Here's one I find quite well defined:

Creativity: 'The experience of thinking, reacting, and working in an imaginative and idiosyncratic way which is characterized by a high degree of innovation and originality, divergent thinking, and risk taking'.

If I would take this kind of creativity at hand and have a look at your 'taste', I'd say we indeed are talking different languages here.

About being positive, I am all for it, but not to the extent of saying the pulp on tv is soo nice to watch, all these hidden talents showing up, all this great entertainment, so creative, so enjoyable.

It is imho not even a matter of taste, it is a lie.

Eric

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Kats_ » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 6:57 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:It really strikes me how naive Kats can be, if she thinks it is about 'talent' and 'creativity'. I find it amazing, really, just awesome.

Eric
There is no point in this argument Eric if you just take bits and pieces of what I said and frame it as you like.

You just disregarded half the things I said in that sentence.

Lets just give it a rest. You win. OK?

Peace.

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Kats_ » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 7:03 pm

It is not now ...if you had not thrown your Santa Claus excuses earlier you would have seen that I was always talking about challenges ..opening mind/inspiring and experiences from the very beginning.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 7:10 pm

Kats....

Santa Clause was a metaphore, ok? Just a way of expressing my concern you still believe in fairy tales.

Why is Santa so sensitive to you anyway?

Like I wrote in my first posting, No offense meant. The gypsie painting, Santa etc etc, all metaphores being used.

I thought it was quite creative actually? :wink: :mrgreen:

Eric

ps. not about winning or losing here, you win from this, because you will now look at these shows differently (I hope)...

(joke...)

Return to “General Discussions”