Singapore Expats

A very silly game.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

A very silly game.

Post by Bubbles » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 4:11 am

This is totally daft but I thought I'd tell you all about a really nutty game my family and I sometimes play. It started off when the kids were young and I was trying to extend their vocabulary...you know, away from the usual grunts and yeahs...

It became so popular, and ridiculous that we now sometimes do it in public, and the other people have no idea what's going on, but we do, and we dare ourselves not to laugh till we're out of the building, or wherever it is we are.

Before we start speaking to someone, (best it's not someone you know for starters...leave friends and aquaintances for when you're better at it)......right

You all agree on three words........they can be any words, but they must be quite unusual....let's say....

Hedgehog
Bewitched
Maestro

They must not be related to each other....

Then in conversation with the stranger you have to drop these into the conversation, all three, not together, and make it sound as if you're not a nutcase.

And of course, you must play it well not to make fun of the stranger.

I tell you, when I went to buy my car, the kids and hubby came with me and the salesman was our 'target'.....If I remember rightly one of the words was 'breakfast' and another was 'wallaby.'

Please don't ask how we got there, but it ended up with us asking if he'd been to Australia, then something about seeing wallabies in the garden whilst we had breakfast.

It sounds mad but it's hysterical when you're trying to do it.

In fact, think what you'd say if the words chosen for you were....

Spaghetti
Elephant
Transvestite....
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bubbles » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 4:12 am

COME ON, BE FAIR, THERE WAS NO SEX IN THAT, HAHAHA.

Dylan Thomas.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bubbles » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 4:13 am

Except...'transvestite' but I wonder if they get any, anyway.....(course they do)

Dylan Thomas.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Re: A very silly game.

Post by Wind In My Hair » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 8:56 am

Bubbles wrote:In fact, think what you'd say if the words chosen for you were....

Spaghetti
Elephant
Transvestite....
i guess transvestites do get it... come on, some of them look better in a spaghetti strap than i do! but their voices give them away so once they speak they're not very attractive. to me at least. some men seem to like them though. it's like the proverbial men feeling different parts of the elephant... we all have different perceptions of transvestites.

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Baron Greenback » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:48 am

Hey Bubbs we used to play that game in meetings when I worked with IBM. Pick a few words & see who can drop them in, very funny
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bubbles » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 8:46 pm

I'm off down the local library now to do some research and I plan to drop the following three words into conversation with the first person I strike a chat up with....

Melons

Tranquil

Wobbly

Nah, too easy....how about...???

Perimiter

Martini

Ardvaark??????????

Tell you later how I got on if the nice men in white suits don't take me walkies......

Dylan Thomas.

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Matney » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:10 pm

In my classroom to get the children listening while doing oral reading, I'd suddenly say 'Octopus' and they know that the next person reads, but of course if they haven't been following along, they haven't a clue. They can't ask for help either. Believe me, once they have missed out, they listen carefully!

Different from your interesting game, but along the same lines. I have heard of your game as well, I think at another school in the States. The principal would hate it when we'd play it on him. 8)

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Kats_ » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 9:52 am

Alright bubbles, there was no sex in it and I do believe the transvestites just like anyone did make it to the perimeter of your post. I think the game is brilliant and can imagine how it can get amazingly funny. I am going to play it on this aardvark like hairy colleague next to me. :P

Must the words come out in that order or can I mix them up just anyway like when I make my boss a martini?

There can actually be more to this game. We can ask the 3rd person to guess what the 3 words are while you are at it –I suppose you really need to be good with the flow to make it challenging for them.

samantha
Chatter
Chatter

Post by samantha » Thu, 22 Sep 2005 8:39 pm

how bout this three?!

stellar
contingent
ambiguous

:wink: :wink: i'll finer tougher ones later
I'm so stupid that I surprise myself sometimes...

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bubbles » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 6:12 am

Hi Samantha

That's a stellar idea of yours, to try to ease out a cohesive sentence from this Singapore Expat contingent. I'm not sure if you consider my usage of the middle word in your list as ambiguous, but it can also mean a body of troops, which is what we are.

TRA LA LA!!!!!!!!!!1

Doh, doh.

OK, here's the next three.....and Kats, they can be used in any order. (Hey, Kats and I have a truce....big hugs Kats)

The words are.........

Habitable
Roquefort
and
Transistor.

Dylan Thomas.

samantha
Chatter
Chatter

Post by samantha » Fri, 23 Sep 2005 9:24 pm

Singapore is a barely habitable place, as I can't find a single Roquefort here, transistor signals are very weak as well.

is this good enough? haha

how bout

floccinaucinhilipilification
Ranidaphobia
and
Ouranophobia :wink:
Last edited by samantha on Thu, 29 Sep 2005 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Matney » Sat, 24 Sep 2005 11:16 pm

I can't find my dictionary...but am anxious to find out what those words mean :wink:

I thought you did well, but you used hospitable instead of habitable. :(

briceloh
Chatter
Chatter

Post by briceloh » Sat, 24 Sep 2005 11:38 pm

samantha wrote:Singapore is a barely hospitable place, as I can't find a single Roquefort here, transistor signals are very weak as well.

is this good enough? haha

how bout

floccinaucinhilipilification
Ranidaphobia
and
Ouranophobia :wink:
Is that a floccinaucinihilipilification of my love? that's why you have ouranophobia and refuses to come to heaven?

i have no idea what is this Ranidaphobia. :???: :P
IBMing

samantha
Chatter
Chatter

Post by samantha » Thu, 29 Sep 2005 4:52 pm

Floccinaucinihilipilification is the act or habit of esteeming or describing something as worthless, or making something to be worthless by said means.

Ranidaphobia is the fear of frogs.

Ouranophobia is the fear of heaven...

Sorri about the typo error...

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bubbles » Fri, 30 Sep 2005 1:06 am

Blinking Norah....you learn something new everyday, but I think I can bet that those three words will never come into my vocabulary in the coming years.............

Dylan Thomas.