Singapore Expats

What was your first Rock Concert?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 6:39 pm

No, not muddy murphy's.

It is indeed Anywhere's! Last time I went is also a while ago, so not too sure if it is still there, but I suspect so.

Eric

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Post by beenhere10years » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 7:18 pm

Sud Afrika wrote: BH10Y...are they really closed? I know they were fighting eviction. Legends were born there.
Ah! A reprieve! I had heard that it had closed over the weekend, but that appears to be inaccurate. They officialy lost their lease, but have not yet been evicted.
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

Sud Afrika

Post by Sud Afrika » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 7:24 pm

Yes Eric..Anywhere is a cool joint.

It's good to see something from the old days still going at it.

BH10Y - I hear the people at CBGB are organizing a fund raiser of sorts with some online auction as well. I hope they don't close down,it'd be a bummer.....

..She went away for a holiday she said she's going to LA but she never got there never got there never got there...- Ramones.

If you folks are thinking of hitting Anywhere someday..keep me in mind eh.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 9:10 pm

Ok the first major gig I went to was The Longest Day concert at Milton keynes bowl in 1985. I had just finished my O'levels.

Went to it to primarily see U2 but there were many other great bands like REM, Ramones, New Order and the brilliant Billy Bragg!!

As for the demise of legends, in March 1994 I managed to get tickets to see Nirvana, unfortunately it was not to be. I've still got the complete ticket as never got a refund.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bubbles » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 9:19 pm

I've had some great nights in Anywhere's. Damn good band, big guy on guitar, Malay, also has a restaurant round the back of carpark opp Cold Storage in Holland Village. He is really talented.

Only thing is, they know me so well that by the time I get to the bar the Vodka Coke is already on it.

Can't work out if that's good or bad, whatever!

My first 'rock' concert was The Stones....fantastic........then Status Quo, twice in Dubai when we lived there, once here.

Then went to see M.Jackson in Singapore........he was rubbish, little voice, mind you the allegations had just come out and he cancelled the first date, so we all had to traipse back there the next night........anyone remember that, in about 1993 or 4 or 5??

Seen the Stereophonics...fab....Catatonia, also very good, she had a wonderful voice.....lots really, but I wished I'd seen Queen, really I do.

The Queen tribute show in London is really great though.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:13 pm

Thanks Bubbs!

I was almost afraid to post. My first rock concert.......Yes we had rock that far back!

The Rolling Stones, November 13 1965 at the Baltimore Civic Center.

and saw them again on July 1 1975 at the Washington DC Coliseum.

Yeah, remember the MJ fiasco but I wasn't interested.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:18 pm

my first - Michael Learns To Rock! ok i don't know if that counts as rock, more like rock ballads maybe.

barmyarmy

Post by barmyarmy » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:19 pm

Seen a few big concerts in my time like Chas and Dave etc!! But the best by far was Johnny Clegg and Savuka in the botanical gardens Cape Town, South Africa. Superb Zulu dancing on stage. And also Jack Johnson in Central Park last year... Dont know though that Chas and Dave one was special???? :???: Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit.....

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:50 pm

1st? Sly and The Family Stone and Tower of Power, Madison Square Garden, NYC - date unknow, my hair was in a ponytail though - we were (no slur intended here) about the only white dudes in the audience

best? too, too, too many concerts and hair styles to traverse that, but Tangerine Dream, Extreme, Pat Metheny many times, Yes many times, more recently Maceo Parker, Joe Satriani, Kraftwerk, The String Cheese Incident, Hapa, all excellent memories (I know, you never heard of them....)

I was surprised how much I enjoyed the Eagles in Singapore last year, made me proud

but did see Joshua Redman tonight (thanks F!), was a good show - anyone else go?

don't miss Eric Johnson, coming next month - truly phenomenal
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

Sud Afrika

Post by Sud Afrika » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:31 am

Bubbles wrote:I've had some great nights in Anywhere's. Damn good band, big guy on guitar, Malay, also has a restaurant round the back of carpark opp Cold Storage in Holland Village. He is really talented.

Only thing is, they know me so well that by the time I get to the bar the Vodka Coke is already on it.

Can't work out if that's good or bad, whatever!

My first 'rock' concert was The Stones....fantastic........then Status Quo, twice in Dubai when we lived there, once here.

Then went to see M.Jackson in Singapore........he was rubbish, little voice, mind you the allegations had just come out and he cancelled the first date, so we all had to traipse back there the next night........anyone remember that, in about 1993 or 4 or 5??

Seen the Stereophonics...fab....Catatonia, also very good, she had a wonderful voice.....lots really, but I wished I'd seen Queen, really I do.

The Queen tribute show in London is really great though.
Yea I caught Stereophonics as well..ab fab they were!!

I've always wanted to see KISS 'live' but during their hair..I meant heydays...my dad won't let me.

kermit

Post by kermit » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:33 am

that will be three in one concert 1991 Indianapolis with black crows, metallica and guns n roses. rocked from 8am to 3am, got high and nearly died when i fell asleep while driving home.... :shock:

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Post by beenhere10years » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 6:17 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Thanks Bubbs!

I was almost afraid to post. My first rock concert.......Yes we had rock that far back!

The Rolling Stones, November 13 1965 at the Baltimore Civic Center.

and saw them again on July 1 1975 at the Washington DC Coliseum.

Yeah, remember the MJ fiasco but I wasn't interested.

sms
I was waiting and waiting for your post SMS, knew it would be outstanding. Well done.
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 8:26 am

EADG, you liked Joshua Redman's performance? I guess jazz isn't my cup of tea, I actually fell asleep...but then it could have been two hastily gulped down glasses of wine. Didn't know you would be there too, we could have hooked up.

Ok my first band was this unknown one called Osibisa, somewhere in 80's I think, can't remember. Then, it was the Freedom concert with Bruce Springsteen, Sting, Tracy Chapman etc. I envy all you Americans, you guys got to see the bestest of best! :evil:

Some day I'm going to spend a week in Chicago, all nights in different pubs listening to blues, blues and more blues. Blues is fast becoming a rarity. Such a pity.
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Ling2 » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:32 pm

Can I say that I love this thread coz it makes me feel so young? hahahahahaha :lol:

Sapphire, I didn't go to the blues in Chicago, was busy chasing after my hat hahahahaha...but Jazz or rather music/arts in Prague is the best I had experienced! Just the musicians playing jazz on Charles Bridge in the evening is very memorable and romantic :love:

Jazz festival all around Europe is good to catch too 8)

Hmmm.. I didn't really go to any rock concert except the Clay of Jar in Omaha? I pretty much enjoy symphony orchestra concert :D more... though one concert held at Obecni dum was abit heavy at times :?

babykasim
Chatter
Chatter

Post by babykasim » Wed, 21 Sep 2005 1:55 pm

my 1st concert was either tommy page or new kids on the block!
hah - so lame :oops:

But my 1st rock concert is Bon Jovi!