Singapore Expats

Negotiation

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Negotiation

Post by Kimi » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 9:58 pm

I'm a little buggered at the moment and would fancy some advice.
Basically recently I am sort of in charge of a project. I used "sort of" cause it's not like I was appointed to be a project manager for the project.
My role in the project is to be the mediator between the business side and the IT side.
The project is basically to make some processes/procedures that have been done manually to be automated.
And for the IT side to decide whether it is possible to make these processes to be done automatically after considering the limitations in the system, they need to get the characteristics, the flow etc. of these procedures.
However, as in the past similar actually the same project got a low priority as it is an internal project and at that time another project requested by our clients was prioritised more highly. So some of my colleagues on the business side are quite skeptical by now whether the IT side is going to grant the automation thus are not willing to prepare the documents that enlist the characteristics, the flow etc. of the procedures to be made automatic as they think the preparation can just be a waste of their time.
Yet the IT side insisted that they can't give their word to confirm that the automation is possible until they fully understand all of the characteristics of the mentioned procedures.
So I must admit I'm feeling being pulled by both sides at the moment and particularly am a little confused on how to persuade the business side people who are being skeptical.
Ideas? Would appreciate any heaps. Cheers.

KT
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Negotiation

Post by KT » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:56 pm

Kimi

from what you have written it seems that the first task you are facing is to get the business users to give you the documentation for the processes like flows ,etc etc,... and the business users are apprehensive about doing that due to their concerns of it being a waste of time and does not justify their effort and time.

So essentially , in order to get the business users to do this convince them why they should.... i few reasons i can think ...
... essentially , documentation will never be a waste of time , infact even if its not used for by the IT for automation , it can be helpful in many ways...
it can be used to refine existing processes even tho manual to attain efficiency, it can be used for training of new employees , it can be used as a guideline and guide for existing users... in all ways it will help... and is positively looked upon by management.

the next angle you need to help them sort is the time used on this ... resouce and time allocation... find out how much time it would be neccessary to actually have this done... usually when it comes to documentation people put it off as tedious , but define it in man hours and show them they wont be spending more that x hours in the week or such....identify ways to use existing documentation , that can save time...

hope this helps ..........
Kimi wrote:I'm a little buggered at the moment and would fancy some advice.
Basically recently I am sort of in charge of a project. I used "sort of" cause it's not like I was appointed to be a project manager for the project.
My role in the project is to be the mediator between the business side and the IT side.
The project is basically to make some processes/procedures that have been done manually to be automated.
And for the IT side to decide whether it is possible to make these processes to be done automatically after considering the limitations in the system, they need to get the characteristics, the flow etc. of these procedures.
However, as in the past similar actually the same project got a low priority as it is an internal project and at that time another project requested by our clients was prioritised more highly. So some of my colleagues on the business side are quite skeptical by now whether the IT side is going to grant the automation thus are not willing to prepare the documents that enlist the characteristics, the flow etc. of the procedures to be made automatic as they think the preparation can just be a waste of their time.
Yet the IT side insisted that they can't give their word to confirm that the automation is possible until they fully understand all of the characteristics of the mentioned procedures.
So I must admit I'm feeling being pulled by both sides at the moment and particularly am a little confused on how to persuade the business side people who are being skeptical.
Ideas? Would appreciate any heaps. Cheers.
"El tango no está en los pies. Está en el corazón."