Singapore Expats

What was your first Rock Concert?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

What was your first Rock Concert?

Post by beenhere10years » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 4:49 pm

Tonight my two youngest go off to their first concert, the Black Eyed Peas. They are 12 and 13 and it's about time. I remember my first concert.

Are you ready??

It was Peter Frampton, 1976. The tickets cost $7.50 :)
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

Est_

Post by Est_ » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 4:57 pm

I've never been to any rock concerts :( waiting for someone to bring me to 1 :P kidding!

Black eyed pea's a good choice :D hope they enjoy themselves!
~The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, nor touched... but are felt in the heart.~

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 5:05 pm

So Peter showed you the way, right? ah, bh10y, you must have been 5 years old then, you still sound so young? :D

My first rock concert (a big concert I mean, as I went to so many smaller joints for seeing local bands) was Queen in 1976 as well....

One of the most impressing ones was Joy Division, with singer Ian Curtis, who 6 months later comitted suicide. The band evolved in what became New Order.

The best concert ever was The Gun Club in 1988, one big orgy of booz, "stimulating" legal stuff from Holland and nice women around.

The shortest ever was The Jesus and Mary Chain, they decided to play with their back to the public and after 10 songs in 17 minutes, they backed off. awesome....

I once ended up backstage with The Pixies, had a 'date' with a female bandmember, Kim Deal. Wow, did I feel special that night! :P My first night in a 5 star hotel, hahaha!!!

Eric

Sud Afrika

Post by Sud Afrika » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 5:05 pm

Van Halen.... spandex,hair and all.

Sud Afrika

Post by Sud Afrika » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 5:07 pm

...but the best so far ( exculding Van Halen cos they rocked at that gig ).. Pink Floyd Pulse tour. I believe I was abducted by Aliens that day.

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Post by beenhere10years » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 5:12 pm

I think the best concert I ever saw besides Bruce Springsteen (4 or 5 times) was Stop Making Sense, Talking Heads, maybe that was '82?

David Byrne in that big white suit. Awesome.

Never saw Pink Floyd but really wish I did.

Eric, Queen was an impressive start -- lucky dog.
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 5:31 pm

Gee, I just realize something here: Freddy of Queen has passed away, Ian Curtis of Joy Division is no longer with us, Jeffrey Lee Pierce of The Gun Club drank himself to death.... All my fav's have gone to their next destination...

Eric

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 5:33 pm

1976?????? You people are ancient! Almost fossils! :P
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Sud Afrika

Post by Sud Afrika » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 5:46 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Gee, I just realize something here: Freddy of Queen has passed away, Ian Curtis of Joy Division is no longer with us, Jeffrey Lee Pierce of The Gun Club drank himself to death.... All my fav's have gone to their next destination...

Eric
...only the good die young ( to quote mega Rock monsters Iron Maiden ).

Hey anyone has a favorite gig venue?

Mine would be Donnington for pure brash and CBGB for unadulterated intimacy.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 6:02 pm

I need more details on these venues Sud, they sound like a place to go soon.

Gotta say, saw some good bands performing at Top Ten bar, and I am serious here... :-|

Eric

Sud Afrika

Post by Sud Afrika » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 6:17 pm

mmmm... Donnington is in the UK mate and CBGB is a lcub in New York.

Singapore there used to be Woodstock at Far East Plaza on my first trip here. Subsequently ther was California Jam out in Tanglin Mall. But all are no more. Though Anywhere's still around.

Now there's Crazy Elephant out in Clarque Quay and that place at Wisma.

I'm looking for a good old rock pub if you know any. The kind where the band plays anything from Frampton, Iron Butterfly ,The Who to Eagles, Bread and Queen.

That's tough to find nowadays.

Yea I heard the band at Top Ten is not too shabby..they have to be. They got competition from 'outside' distractions.

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Post by beenhere10years » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 6:19 pm

Sud, you must know that CBGB's closed :cry:

-- jack handy

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 6:23 pm

there is this pub in the mall next to Orchard Parade hotel, on the second floor, help me out here, molly malone or so? they have coverbands, rock and blues, been there couple of times, not too bad. smoky ambience, not bad.

Eric

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Post by beenhere10years » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 6:26 pm

Are you talking about Anywheres?!?

God, it's been years... a transvestite lead singer, right?

-- jack handy

Sud Afrika

Post by Sud Afrika » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 6:34 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:there is this pub in the mall next to Orchard Parade hotel, on the second floor, help me out here, molly malone or so? they have coverbands, rock and blues, been there couple of times, not too bad. smoky ambience, not bad.

Eric
Muddy Murphy's?

BH10Y...are they really closed? I know they were fighting eviction. Legends were born there.