Singapore Expats

Does Ashtanga or Hatha Yoga helps to lose weight??

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.

Does Ashtanga or Hatha Yoga helps to lose weight??

Post by Guest » Sun, 04 Sep 2005 2:10 pm

Hi all,

I'm thinking o taking up yoga as a means to lose weight and also to help me focus on my concentration. Does ashtanga or hatha yoga helps to lose weight??

Anybody with experience care to share abt it?

Post by Guest » Wed, 07 Sep 2005 7:27 pm

Yes, it definitely does, but it also depends on your diet thereafter. No need for drastic changes in diet, just the need to watch what you eat and also to eat in moderation.

I have been practicing yoga daily for 2 months (at least 1.5 hours a day, sometimes a total of 2.5 hours with a break in between) and there is a noticeable difference in my body. Toned all over, no more tummy, muscles in my arms (used to be flabby) and lost 2 inches off my waist.

Go for vinyasa classes. This style of yoga is continuous and flowing, involving sun salutations and challenging postures in between. You will learn to connect your breath to each movement that you make and this in turn creates heat within the body. If you're new to yoga, do take a few lessons of beginner classes (both hatha and ashtanga) to familiarise yourself with the sun salutations and other basic postures so that you will find it less distracting when you're practicing vinyasa style. otherwise, you'd have to spend a lot of time looking around to see what everyone else is doing and you may lose your momentum.

Along with weight loss and increase in concentration power (balancing postures are good for this aspect) are other mental benefits like increased happiness, a more forgiving and positive attitude towards all things.

Have fun :wink:

lifestylelink

Re: Does Ashtanga or Hatha Yoga helps to lose weight??

Post by lifestylelink » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 3:43 pm

Anonymous wrote:Hi all,

I'm thinking o taking up yoga as a means to lose weight and also to help me focus on my concentration. Does ashtanga or hatha yoga helps to lose weight??

Whether one do yoga or slimming or whatever, it boils down to a healthy lifestyle. To lose weight, it is about equation:

Calories intakes vs. Calories expense.

Whatever you do, slimming or yoga, it is about reducing calories intake or increase calories expense to achieve a weight lost effect. Of course, there are also many product in the market that helps to achieve that. I myself lost 8kg through meal replacement (lower calories intakes), no exercise. But incorporating exercise into the weight management program will help tone up the muscle better.
Health is Wealth. Take care of your body and your body will take care of you.

Re: Does Ashtanga or Hatha Yoga helps to lose weight??

Post by Guest » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 7:58 pm

lifestylelink wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Hi all,

Whether one do yoga or slimming or whatever, it boils down to a healthy lifestyle. To lose weight, it is about equation:

Calories intakes vs. Calories expense.

Whatever you do, slimming or yoga, it is about reducing calories intake or increase calories expense to achieve a weight lost effect. Of course, there are also many product in the market that helps to achieve that. I myself lost 8kg through meal replacement (lower calories intakes), no exercise. But incorporating exercise into the weight management program will help tone up the muscle better.
Hi may I know what meal replacement you are taking? where can i get them?

Post by Guest » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 8:00 pm

Anonymous wrote:Yes, it definitely does, but it also depends on your diet thereafter. No need for drastic changes in diet, just the need to watch what you eat and also to eat in moderation.

I have been practicing yoga daily for 2 months (at least 1.5 hours a day, sometimes a total of 2.5 hours with a break in between) and there is a noticeable difference in my body. Toned all over, no more tummy, muscles in my arms (used to be flabby) and lost 2 inches off my waist.

Go for vinyasa classes. This style of yoga is continuous and flowing, involving sun salutations and challenging postures in between. You will learn to connect your breath to each movement that you make and this in turn creates heat within the body. If you're new to yoga, do take a few lessons of beginner classes (both hatha and ashtanga) to familiarise yourself with the sun salutations and other basic postures so that you will find it less distracting when you're practicing vinyasa style. otherwise, you'd have to spend a lot of time looking around to see what everyone else is doing and you may lose your momentum.

Along with weight loss and increase in concentration power (balancing postures are good for this aspect) are other mental benefits like increased happiness, a more forgiving and positive attitude towards all things.

Have fun :wink:
hi thks for the advice... I'm interested in vinyasa classes too. Used to be a dancer so I prefer a rather challenging class but cos I suffered from back problem, I'm not sure whether I'm suitable. Nevertheless, I will still try the beginner's classes. Thanks^^
PS: where did you take your yoga class?

jaslynk
Regular
Regular

Side effect of taking pills

Post by jaslynk » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 8:04 pm

It is better to take up Yoga than taking sliming pills. You won't know is there any side effect. 8)

yogi_angel

Post by yogi_angel » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 9:10 pm

I've been pratising hatha yoga for the past 6 years and tried ashtanga yoga for 3 months. The reason I stopped doing ashtanga yoga is because i find that my body is more suitable for doing low impact yoga like hatha. I find that my thighs and butt got REALLY firm after practising ashtanga but gee.... no thanks, I don't wish to have muscular legs like
wonderwoman.

After a year of practising yoga, my weight went down from 52->48kg and now 45kg. Of course healthy diet plays an important role too. I was amazed by the power of stretching, my skirt size became 2 size smaller and my body is tone and flexible. My initial intention ofdoing was not to lose weight but because I like to do stretching and I like my body to be more flexible.

Regular pratice of yoga will definitely helps to maintain your body shape and the effect will last long. If you are hoping to lose weight FAST, I wouldn't recommend yoga. Probably at a later stage after you have managed to shed off those unwanted pounds and would like to improve your overall well-being as well as to maintain your figure, then I would recommend yoga.

Ashtanga yoga really makes you sweat and sweat and sweat. For those of you who wish to firm up your sagging butts, flabby legs and arms, maybe you might give it a try. Maybe you like it, who knows?

Irreguardless of any sports or exercise that you do, always remember that you should not OVERDO & OVEREAT after that.

Health comes 1st, others 2nd. Personal appearance is just a superficial thing.

Take care of your body, take care of your heakth.

Cheers! :)

Post by Guest » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 11:10 pm

Anonymous wrote:hi thks for the advice... I'm interested in vinyasa classes too. Used to be a dancer so I prefer a rather challenging class but because I suffered from back problem, I'm not sure whether I'm suitable. Nevertheless, I will still try the beginner's classes. Thanks^^
PS: where did you take your yoga class?
That's nice to hear, I have always been interested in all forms of dance from young and I have done modern dance, jazz and lindy hop. I take it that you have a flexible body? I took up yoga because I was intrigued by the 'mystery' of yoga and also because I was looking for an alternative to cure my asthma (something that came about 2 years ago due to a hectic and stressful work life) and anosmia (total loss of sense of smell as a result of asthma). I practiced very hard as I could feel the benefits of yoga within the first week. Just within 1.5 months of regular practice, my asthma was cured and I could smell again. Pranayama and the practice of the asanas really worked for me. I no longer have to use inhalers like ventolin and becotide, 3 times daily and no longer have to take pills to control my asthma. There are some things in life that you have to experience to believe it.

Weight loss wasn't one of the main concerns for me, but over these 2 months, I have lost so much weight that I have gone down 2 sizes for my skirts & pants.

The non-vinyasa multi-level hatha classes can also be very challenging as this involves the practice of intermediate to advanced postures. A simple posture when held for a longer period of time can also prove to be very challenging. Try it, this will help to build strength and endurance. Since you have a flexible body, you may be able to progress relatively fast.

If you have an existing back problem, it is always important to inform your teacher about it before the class. That way, the teacher will be able to advice you on the types of postures that you have to be careful about, so that you will not put unnecessary stress on your back. If you are seeing a doctor, it might be good to check if it's safe for you to practice yoga, just for peace of mind. It is also good to practice the postures that will help back problems. Join a yoga therapy class concurrently with your other classes. When you are familiar with the postures, you can practice the postures for treating back problems on your own. The list of postures can be found in most yoga books, but may I recommend 'Light on Yoga - By Iyengar'. This is an excellent book written by a very inspirational guru and I encourage you to get this book when you have tried yoga and feel that this is something that you want to go on practicing. The study of this book has helped me tremendously in the progress of my practice.

I am practicing at True Yoga and started off as a person who knew nothing about yoga. I am learning from a number of excellent teachers and have been attending mostly power yoga (which is really hatha vinyasa), ashtanga & hatha yoga (multi level and intermediate classes) for the past 1.5 months. I also go for yoga therapy as and when my body needs it. I started off with the hatha & ashtanga beginner classes for about a week or so, and made the switch when I felt that I was ready. Always listen to your body and learn how to link your breath with your movement as it will help to calm you down and enable your body to move further in the posture. My favourite teacher (who teachers power yoga) always reminds us by saying "Part of being strong is knowing when to give your body a rest". So, always challenge yourself but remember to rest when you have to :D

Charisteas

Answer to your question.

Post by Charisteas » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:30 pm

Hello,

In one word, "No".

Samantha82345

Post by Samantha82345 » Sat, 17 Sep 2005 6:22 pm

Hi there. Yoga will definitely help. There are so many types and I'm if you go to a good studio, the teachers will be able to recommend to you. However I would advise against going bigger setups such as you will only get minmal attention from them. Most of the classes consists of 40 students! You think think about it, how much can the teacher teach you, as an individual, within that hour??
If you're really thinking of taking up yoga to lose weight, you can consider ashtanga. It is much more rigours compared to hatha.
Perhaps you can consider trying out the ashtanga classes at inner yoga. It is a new studio that's opening in November. If I remember correctly, its somewhere near city hall mrt station. you can probably google for its url.

zakka

lose weight

Post by zakka » Sat, 17 Sep 2005 6:32 pm

Hi

I have this safe and effective slimming program to intro to you!!

Using nutritional-science to help you slim down without causing 'yoyo' effect after the whole program.

call me for a free consultation with our weight managment consultant today!

Jani
Regular
Regular

Post by Jani » Mon, 19 Sep 2005 6:42 pm

actuali does it feel awkward for bigger size woman to go for yoga?
especially when i can't do the moves properly..

zoebray

Re:

Post by zoebray » Wed, 20 May 2020 3:29 pm

Jani wrote:
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 6:42 pm
actuali does it feel awkward for bigger size woman to go for yoga?
especially when i can't do the moves properly..
You need to try specific yoga poses to lose weight. Yoga really lets you burn fat you certainly need to try yoga poses by going through the best yoga postures so that you can lose weight within 12 weeks.