Singapore Expats

martial arts?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
eleni g

martial arts?

Post by eleni g » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 7:32 am

Hi all

Thinking of moving to Singapore. Could anyone tell me if there are any GOOD martial arts places around? I do not mean the commercialized clubs that seem to infest every city lately. I mean good, old-fashioned martial arts, working and cultivating the internal energies as well as the body. That kind of thing. Anything like that around (although it could be unlikely to find something like that in a forum, but it does not hurt to try).
Eleni

little_bold_bear

Post by little_bold_bear » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 10:53 pm

Oh definitely!!!! There are plenty of good places where you can learn Tai Chi or Wushuu--I just dunno if there is a required language medium. These are excellent martial arts for honing the body and mind (especially tai chi), and they are really good for both self-defense and fighting as well. I once sparred with a 60-year old tai chi instructor, and couldn't lay a hand on him. :D

I reckon in 5 years time I'll probably start tai chi, but for now I still prefer my good old fashioned taekwondo, aikido, and kendo.... btw, can anyone tell me where I can get a new bokken? I smashed my last one during practice :mad:

superedge
Chatter
Chatter

Re: martial arts?

Post by superedge » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 3:00 am

eleni g wrote:Hi all

Thinking of moving to Singapore. Could anyone tell me if there are any GOOD martial arts places around? I do not mean the commercialized clubs that seem to infest every city lately. I mean good, old-fashioned martial arts, working and cultivating the internal energies as well as the body. That kind of thing. Anything like that around (although it could be unlikely to find something like that in a forum, but it does not hurt to try).
Eleni
I did 4 years of brazilian jiu jitsu...unfortunatelly I could not find much of it here, but if you like judo and other asian martial arts you can find lots of places.
try yellowpages.com.sg and search martial arts

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Post by riversandlakes » Sat, 10 Sep 2005 4:04 am

i did 2 years worth of shito-ryu karate. you can find details of Shitoryu Karate Association of Singapore here http://www.ska.org.sg/

I'm planning to pick it back up after i'm more settled down than now - getting there! :D

Which martial arts do you have in mind, though?
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

Cam

Post by Cam » Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:38 am

There's also Taijutsu.

If you're interested then pm me and I'll point you in the right direction.

Sud Afrika

Post by Sud Afrika » Wed, 14 Sep 2005 12:00 pm

If you're into self-defense classes targetting women lemme know. These classes are tailored simple self defense steps for women NOT of a specific discipline though.

samantha
Chatter
Chatter

Post by samantha » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 9:00 pm

btw, can anyone tell me where I can get a new bokken? I smashed my last one during
There is a shop at jurong point sellin them.. is there a age limit to buy one?!
I'm so stupid that I surprise myself sometimes...

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Post by riversandlakes » Fri, 16 Sep 2005 12:50 am

what's a bokken that it has an age limit?
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

joshua

Post by joshua » Sat, 17 Sep 2005 9:34 am

hi there...anyone knows where i can learn Capoeira? thats a brazilian martial arts btw...i've heard there's classes at NUS for that...anywhere else that conduct classes for Capoeira?

shirllin
Regular
Regular

Post by shirllin » Sat, 17 Sep 2005 11:09 am

Dear Joshua,

The only qualified mestre from brazil in singapore is mestre ousado who has taught in england b4 moving 2 singapore.....he teaches at substation at Armenian St at cityhall during weekends....if u r a student rates r cheaper....he also teaches in NUS but usually 4 the students there during weekdays....great sport enjoy

Regards,
Shirllin
"Chains of habit are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken."
"It is literally true that you can succeed best and quickest by helping others to succeed."

samantha
Chatter
Chatter

Post by samantha » Sat, 17 Sep 2005 1:17 pm

How would i know... even a buying a blunt sword in singapore requires and age limit... :???:

briceloh
Chatter
Chatter

Post by briceloh » Sat, 17 Sep 2005 1:23 pm

samantha wrote:How would i know... even a buying a blunt sword in singapore requires and age limit... :???:
it's ok, old man will buy for u. hehehe :P
IBMing

samantha
Chatter
Chatter

Post by samantha » Sat, 17 Sep 2005 1:29 pm

u said it... i'll buy them and send the bill to you.. i want the entire LOTR collection... Its quite cheap... All in all around $2000.. maybe more.. just keep $6000 aside in case i like the star wars light sabres too... :cool:

briceloh
Chatter
Chatter

Post by briceloh » Sat, 17 Sep 2005 1:31 pm

samantha wrote:u said it... i'll buy them and send the bill to you.. i want the entire LOTR collection... Its quite cheap... All in all around $2000.. maybe more.. just keep $6000 aside in case i like the star wars light sabres too... :cool:
u r not allowed to smoke yet. cause u r underage. haha 8)
IBMing

joshua

Post by joshua » Sun, 18 Sep 2005 6:44 am

shirllin wrote:Dear Joshua,

The only qualified mestre from brazil in singapore is mestre ousado who has taught in england b4 moving 2 singapore.....he teaches at substation at Armenian St at cityhall during weekends....if u r a student rates r cheaper....he also teaches in NUS but usually 4 the students there during weekdays....great sport enjoy

Regards,
Shirllin
thx Shirllin..are u learning Capoeira as well btw? do u know what the course fees are? and the duration per session? hope i didnt trouble u.

Regards,
Joshua