Singapore Expats

digitalizing slides

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

digitalizing slides

Post by dot dot dot » Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:21 pm

In the good old days I used to make slides (positives) instead of photo negatives. Anyone knows the best way to digitalize these?

Thanks in advance,

Eric

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:34 pm

http://www.abstractconcreteworks.com/es ... ethod.html

Eric, don't know if this is the kind of thing you are after?

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Post by Carpe Diem » Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:38 pm

Eric, if you have a lot to do, you can buy a special scanner designed for that. It has a kind of tray where you place your slides.

Here's an example http://www.superwarehouse.com/Microtek_ ... 6/p/257187 (the first one I found)

Quite convenient and effective... But still costly.
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Post by beenhere10years » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 6:12 am

Carpe Diem wrote:Eric, if you have a lot to do, you can buy a special scanner designed for that. It has a kind of tray where you place your slides.

Here's an example http://www.superwarehouse.com/Microtek_ ... 6/p/257187 (the first one I found)

Quite convenient and effective... But still costly.
I had that scanner at one time, it was a Canon I think? It always gave me problems, I think the technology was sound but the unit was damaged somehow. The tray never quite sat right...

Anyway, I use these guys alot for various projects, thet can be very helpful and they have locations all over:

http://www.fotohub.com

Maybe send them an e-mail and see what they can do?
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:14 pm

Thanks a lot people, very helpful info. I will check the different options. I have about 3000 Slides that I want to digitalize, but not sure if I wanna buy equipment myself for this exercise, as I will not use it in the future after this exercise. But if it makes sense economywise an I can save money, I will do it.

Again, thanks!

Eric

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:15 pm

But, why did you need positives? Usually 'normal' people are happy with negatives unless you were in print production. :P
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:34 pm

watching slides on a projector is so much nicer than watching postcard pics. I always had a house full of friends when I returned from a travelling to countries like Peru, Bolivia or Guatemala and Mexico. Especially the dramatic nature and scenery is great when watching it on a big projection screen. And you could always have a photoshop to make the photos for you from positives. The other way around, negatives to slides, not really.

Does that answer your question to me properly? :)

Eric

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:38 pm

Yep, I have a friend who does the same! Bores us with his slide presentation! This coming from me who loves photography and looking at pics! :roll:
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:39 pm

I think I'm in a mood to troll, how am I doing? :P

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Post by beenhere10years » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 2:14 pm

Eric, are you familiar with all the software to create slide shows from your photos? I have yet to make one on my Mac, but all the systems are perfectly integrated: photos, music, DVD burner. Really couldn't be easier, all I need it 2 minutes put together to finally get it done. :wink:
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: digitalizing slides

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 3:13 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:In the good old days I used to make slides (positives) instead of photo negatives. Anyone knows the best way to digitalize these?

Thanks in advance,

Eric
Short of buying a special scanner, I had the same problem. I had slides all the way back to my Nam days.

Those that didn't get wiped out by the Hurricane I've scanned using my trusty Epson Flatbed Scanner. It's their 3200 dpi model which makes a pretty good film/slide scanner abiet slower due to its flatbed design. This way I don't need two different scanners. At 3200 dpi (not interpolated (sp?)) it is good enough for pretty decent sized printouts from my Photo capable printer. (actually it's good for even larger than A4 size).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Thu, 15 Sep 2005 5:06 pm

Keep 'em coming, good advice people, thanks a zillion again! :D

Eric

Return to “Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics”