Singapore Expats

Do Keyboards come any different?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Nigel OOi

Do Keyboards come any different?

Post by Nigel OOi » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:33 pm

Why is the keyboard standard; is it because of ease of use? The answere is probably for speed of transmission of information from user to computer.===The best keyboards in the market at the moment do not cater for the person who wants user friendly products, because everyone needs to learn to type. The best keyboards of the future are those that use phrases initiated by the beginning of the phrase in letter. For instance, the phrase - "For gods sake" starts with the letter F', so we type F' and 'For gods sake' comes out because the keyboard feels the user wants it to be that exact phrase.===Other methods for keyboarding include; keys that initiate giant tables for great big compositions that are to be inserted into the document, even keys that calculate what the user is keying in about; that produces a page of that nature. Other methodology with intelligent keyboards include crystal keyboards that sense the users' expression and produces the required sound and light enhancement for that required effect.===NOst.

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:36 pm

Someday, we lesser mortals will recognise and appreciate the genius in you! :o
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Baron Greenback » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 1:02 pm

If you are really good at touch typing you might want to impress your mates with one of these:

http://www.xoxide.com/das-keyboard.html

no markings at all just black buttons!
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 1:08 pm

I think Nigel00i is using that one already, he surely got no clue what he is typing it seems.

Eric

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 3:03 pm

Maybe he's using a french keyboard.
some signatures are more equal than others

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 3:45 pm

Actually, not far from there already with the dvork (sp?) keyboards and predictive texting on mobile phones.

This is definitely NOT GuGuToo! Just a wannabe....sorry OOi

That or GGT's meds are wearing off.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 3:59 pm

Behold the Optimus

Don't mind the fact that the production crew look like the casting for Bond villians.[/url]
some signatures are more equal than others

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Baron Greenback » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 5:01 pm

IBM have created a new way of typing for their latest PDA where you keep the stylus on the pad & connect the letters on the screen keyboard. apparently it is quicker for us to remember shapes than a sequence of letter or numbers.

For example if I said remember 96321478 it would be easier if I told you to start at the top right & make a square going clockwise -type thing (pun intended)

For those who are really interested there is a paper from IBM:

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/u/zhai/paper ... ebCopy.pdf
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

superedge
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Do Keyboards come any different?

Post by superedge » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 6:25 pm

Nigel OOi wrote:Why is the keyboard standard; is it because of ease of use? The answere is probably for speed of transmission of information from user to computer.===The best keyboards in the market at the moment do not cater for the person who wants user friendly products, because everyone needs to learn to type. The best keyboards of the future are those that use phrases initiated by the beginning of the phrase in letter. For instance, the phrase - "For gods sake" starts with the letter F', so we type F' and 'For gods sake' comes out because the keyboard feels the user wants it to be that exact phrase.===Other methods for keyboarding include; keys that initiate giant tables for great big compositions that are to be inserted into the document, even keys that calculate what the user is keying in about; that produces a page of that nature. Other methodology with intelligent keyboards include crystal keyboards that sense the users' expression and produces the required sound and light enhancement for that required effect.===NOst.

then is not a keyboard, is a phraseboard:)

FYI, that was tried before and it did not work. first, it limitated the thinking of the user, and language is something that changes constantly. Mostly the users got upset because the 'keyboard' was entering phrases they did not want to (because we often change ours phrases in runtime when typing).

and besides that keyboards are used by many professionals.
How could I type: (typeof) myBussinessObjectLayer.MarshalByRef( ctor(1) ) like that? :)

voice recognition might be the future.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 6:57 pm

superedge wrote:voice recognition might be the future.
already exists i thought?

the future i think is thought recognition... chip embedded in brain at birth... screens in every home, office and public place... all our thoughts displayed on giant screen just like a chat screen... we will see what everyone else is thinking and everyone will see what we're thinking...

SCARYYYY.......

superedge
Chatter
Chatter

Post by superedge » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 7:05 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:
superedge wrote:voice recognition might be the future.
already exists i thought?

the future i think is thought recognition... chip embedded in brain at birth... screens in every home, office and public place... all our thoughts displayed on giant screen just like a chat screen... we will see what everyone else is thinking and everyone will see what we're thinking...

SCARYYYY.......
sure it does.
when I said "future", I meant the daily basis and common place for anyone :) voice recognition now is still at its initial stages

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 7:12 pm

point taken. hey you changed your avatar, edge. is that really you?

superedge
Chatter
Chatter

Post by superedge » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 7:15 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:point taken. hey you changed your avatar, edge. is that really you?
yes, it is me.
tomorrow I might take the gotee (is it written like that?) off :)

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 7:24 pm

superedge wrote:tomorrow I might take the gotee (is it written like that?) off :)
it's goatee, spelt with an extra A found on the left side of your qwerty keyboard.

ps: not being sarcastic or condescending here... just trying to stay on topic in case we get deleted for digressing :)

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 7:27 pm

I think goatee looks nice on you, but really upto you.
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.