Singapore Expats

Importing apparel is cheaper from China or thailand?

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
thamjason

Importing apparel is cheaper from China or thailand?

Post by thamjason » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 11:54 am

Your comments for following are much appreciated:

Imported Apparel quality is better from china or thailand or india?

Imported apparel from china is cheaper or from thailand or india?

Post by Guest » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 1:17 pm

Quality - I'd say China, but it's very variable and more expensive especially for small quantities. To be honest, I wouldn't recommend starting an apparel business. Go look around in the malls. How low do you think the cost price is to allow you decent profit, taking into consideration the rent? For online businesses, the overheads are lower, but seriously, it's very difficult to market unbranded items. Just stick to a day job or get retrained for something else.

memorieschc

Post by memorieschc » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 3:46 pm

Most of the shop owners in Singapore (particularly in Far East Plaza) obtain their goods from Bangkok and HongKong.

Yes, there are many clothing shops in Singapore. Why? Becos there's a demand.

To differentiate from them, maybe u want to create your own brand with own design. A few shops in Singapore did it. Quite successful too.

Go do your mkt research. Go to Far East Plaza, Bugis Village and Army mkt to take a look.

Post by Guest » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 6:05 pm

It's not because there is demand. It's because many people are unemployed and have no other means of making a living. They start businesses in the hope of having some kind of income without specialized skills. Don't talk about things you know nothing about. Do you know how many people are losing money at this very moment in the very places you mentioned? Yes, go have a look. Better yet, work at one of the retail stores. When you see how bad business is, then you will know how bad the market is.

memorieschc

Post by memorieschc » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 6:42 pm

Anonymous wrote:It's not because there is demand. It's because many people are unemployed and have no other means of making a living. They start businesses in the hope of having some kind of income without specialized skills. Don't talk about things you know nothing about. Do you know how many people are losing money at this very moment in the very places you mentioned? Yes, go have a look. Better yet, work at one of the retail stores. When you see how bad business is, then you will know how bad the market is.
Hi Guest,

U don't have to be harsh. I'm just giving facts of what I know.

If u studied Economics, u will know that when there's demand, there will be supply. Now, supply exceed demand. That's why u see some losing money.

Yes, no doubt some pple are losing money. But don't forget some are earning. Like what I mentioned, some have created their own brand, and I know some of them. They r making money. These r pple who differentiated themselves from most shops that sell clothes. Of course, not all will succeed in their venture.

Like in all statistics, most will likely fail.

Maybe u r one of them, that's why u discouraged pple to follow suit. It's good to give such advise. Pple will know that it's not easy to startup a biz. I would also give the same advise. But every coin have 2 sides.

U r right. To get a full view of the mkt, u have to worked in that industry. But note that location of the shop do play a big part. Timing is also another factor.

Post by Guest » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 7:56 pm

You don't have to study economics to know that demand drives supply. Seriously. I'm not being harsh. I'm just stating facts.

Yes, some people are earning. I know of some who don't even have their brands who still are but they have had to do with less, like everyone else in the market doing the same thing. But the fact is sales have fallen since last year. Yes, location and timing are important. Do you actually think it's the best time to get into the market now? If so you are sorely mistaken. Talk to store owners. The more people get into it, the more the pie shrinks. Perhaps I didn't study economics. But I'm pretty sure that doesn't bode well. It happened with bubble tea, nail salons, apparel and fashion, coffee shops and now bakeries. Pie shrinking.

It's easy to say that just based on probability alone people will fail. But how many people can actually design something unique enough for the masses? People who succeed are those who keep trying. If you can only try once, then make sure you know what you're doing, not plunge in because you have no other recourse. It's different. Save your money in the bank, go for low risk investments. Maybe it won't be enough to feed your family, but it's worse if you have to take out a loan and pay it off and still be in the same situation. I have known people who kept changing the scope of their merchandise, and still nothing. The market is that bad.

Do you also know that in terms of location, newbies don't have much choice at all? It's Bugis Village or Far East Plaza mostly. But it's getting saturated. Do you also know that most are losing money? You really never know. Experience doesn't always help. I know of people who have made money in the past and are also giving up their businesses because of falling sales. Do you know what the average rent is? Alot of people are pulling out. It's a matter of luck more than anything that you succeed. Noone knows the success factor. There isn't one. I myself would never buy from 77th Street, but it's doing pretty well.

I'm sorry I come across as harsh, but I do not like to see people giving advice based on theory.

memorieschc

Post by memorieschc » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 8:36 pm

Anonymous wrote: I'm sorry I come across as harsh, but I do not like to see people giving advice based on theory.
hmm....what I state is what I saw (facts). Not theory.

Anyway, I didn't mean to give advice. Just a suggestion if the topic starter is really going into the biz.

Well, I will not go on anymore. Going Image liao.

frosties

looking for biz partner

Post by frosties » Tue, 20 Sep 2005 12:32 pm

hi i am looking into importing some ladies' accessories n apparel from SHANGHAI. i will be moving there for a couple of years.
reply me if you are keen to look into some kind of partnership.