Singapore Expats

Is your personality different online and offline?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Yes
20%
No
80%

Total votes: 25

Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Kimi » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 6:55 pm

It's funny how I at least met one of the members here who is not particularly fancied by other active members here but the thing is the other forum members who don't respect his posts are the ones whose posts I would seek to read, yet I found this member who is considered to be a trouble-maker to be a nice person after all.
Do you reckon you have a different personality online and offline?

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 7:29 pm

We've met? :o

'nuff said Image

Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Kimi » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 7:32 pm

Errr, so you're the trouble-maker? :P

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 9:50 pm

We only have one personality (not talking about schizophrenics here). So the answer is: "no".

But our personaliteis are complex and show in many ways. So online we will all express ourselves different from offline in most cases, as it is a different way of expressing our emotions.

Just one small example: It is so much easier to offend online, try doing that in front of the person, looking him or her in the eyes.

Trolls should know this better than all of us good people.

Eric

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Ling2 » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 10:37 pm

I doubt I am any different, maybe I have been online for too long...good 9 years!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 10:41 pm

Sorry Eric.

Little bit of Asian for you. Ask you wife. I believe all of us have at least two distinct personalities. (again, like you, not counting schizo's).

That's why they call it Yin & Yang. Black & White, Pro & Con. Angel & Devil.

I think we all manifest both personalities at one time or another but rarely at the same time. I think everybody here has made comments about registered posters logging out to post anon as well. Why is that? Their other personality that they don't want to be know for in all probability.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Post by Carpe Diem » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 11:13 pm

SMS, interesting... But you did not answer the question!

You are talking about "Dr Jekyll" the registered user and "Mr Hyde" the troll... But both of them are online! The poll is: Is your personality different online and offline?

So? Are you the shark online and the diver offline? Or vice versa?

Me?

Well, actually, I don't think too different on and off. I can be quite a pain in the ... in "normal life". Online is not that different I guess...
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

cinder
Chatter
Chatter

Post by cinder » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 11:36 pm

i used to be different between on and off. more open and outspoken when online, and just a wee quiet mouse in the real life.
i vote for no anyway - since the way i perceive things are still the same between on and off.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:18 am

CD, how to be original. I was only answering Eric. However, I did vote no. You took what would have been my comment for my no answer though.
Well, actually, I don't think too different on and off. I can be quite a pain in the ... in "normal life". Online is not that different I guess...
I tend to say it the good ole countryboy way. Blunt with not too good english! I've always been told I lack tact. Don't ask me how I've survived in Asia for over 2 decades though....doesn't make much sense.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:30 am

Ok, I am the same on and offline and nobody dare say anything to the contrary!
SMS, apparently I lack tact as well, have been told I'm rude etc., and I have lived all my life in Asia, and if I may add, not too badly. So what's your point about Asia then? Seriously, curious, not being sarcastic. :)
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 8:20 am

Shy in both worlds

'nuff said Image

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 9:16 am

sapphire wrote:Ok, I am the same on and offline and nobody dare say anything to the contrary!
SMS, apparently I lack tact as well, have been told I'm rude etc., and I have lived all my life in Asia, and if I may add, not too badly. So what's your point about Asia then? Seriously, curious, not being sarcastic. :)
The Yin & Yang factor. I figured his wife could explain it better than I.

sms

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 9:30 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sorry Eric.

Little bit of Asian for you. Ask you wife. I believe all of us have at least two distinct personalities. (again, like you, not counting schizo's).

That's why they call it Yin & Yang. Black & White, Pro & Con. Angel & Devil.

I think we all manifest both personalities at one time or another but rarely at the same time. I think everybody here has made comments about registered posters logging out to post anon as well. Why is that? Their other personality that they don't want to be know for in all probability.

sms
I still hope these 2 are part of the same personality, but be regarded as different sides of 1 personality. But having said that, I feel we agree, but explain it differently.

Eric

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 9:58 am

:???:

P.S. Vaucluse, you've got to be kidding me! Shy in both worlds? Yeah, right! :P
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 10:36 am

Pssst sapphire...Low in wit, high in humour!
some signatures are more equal than others