Singapore Expats

Honey account

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
account

Honey account

Post by account » Sat, 13 Aug 2005 1:45 am

Did anyone sign up for POSB Honey account which guarantees macimum yiled of 4.5% in 6 yrs or less..Or is it too little to even spend time considering, Financial experts..guidance will be much appreciated!

Or are there other structured accounts that can offer deals?

Post by Guest » Wed, 17 Aug 2005 9:55 pm

Yes there are other and better solutions. With the POSB Honey, there is 100% capital gurantee BUT the 4.5% return is not guaranteed.

aloof

Post by aloof » Sat, 27 Aug 2005 3:54 am

frankly speaking, i would not recommend you to go into structured investments at this moment. pardon me if i'm wrong, but i think you are still a novice in investing, since you ask this question.

if you really want to get into structured products, maybe you can go in ELN or Equity-Linked Notes.

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Post by tiki » Sat, 27 Aug 2005 9:50 am

Yep..basically don't be taken in by what you see or read.I mean, offers were meant to be enticing and attractive but do yer homework before commiting.

Post by Guest » Sat, 27 Aug 2005 3:03 pm

aloof wrote:frankly speaking, i would not recommend you to go into structured investments at this moment. pardon me if i'm wrong, but i think you are still a novice in investing, since you ask this question.

if you really want to get into structured products, maybe you can go in ELN or Equity-Linked Notes.
Thanks all for the valuable information. Yes, I am a novice and have never invested, won't even give a 2nd thought to investing my money into their investment plans now. :P

aloof, whats ELN..? Can you just briefly describe?

aloof

Post by aloof » Sat, 27 Aug 2005 3:41 pm

Anonymous wrote:Thanks all for the valuable information. Yes, I am a novice and have never invested, won't even give a 2nd thought to investing my money into their investment plans now. :P

basically, ELN in singapore are meant more for the "accredited investor"
1) annual income >S$300,000 or
2) personal assets >S$2,000,000

but normally, they will need a minimum investable amount, like a minimum of S$50,000.

Basically in ELN, the investor will be able to pick some stocks at a certain price (a strike price, which is a certain % of the price of the stocks, normally abt 95%) and there will be an expiry date for the stocks, ie 30days, 60 days or 90 days.
If on the expiry date, the value of the stocks is higher than the strike price, the investor will earn the profits. If it is lower than the strike price, the investor will be liable to keep the stocks.
It is considered a fairly low risks investment as even if the price falls below the strike price on expiry date, the investor will keep the stocks. However most of the stocks ae considered "blue chips" stocks and will tend to rise in value sooner or later. :D

But for a novice, I woould advise to start off with unit trust or mutual funds investing for a start. Let me know if you are interested to know more.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 04 Sep 2005 9:46 pm

aloof wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Thanks all for the valuable information. Yes, I am a novice and have never invested, won't even give a 2nd thought to investing my money into their investment plans now. :P

basically, ELN in singapore are meant more for the "accredited investor"
1) annual income >S$300,000 or
2) personal assets >S$2,000,000

but normally, they will need a minimum investable amount, like a minimum of S$50,000.

Basically in ELN, the investor will be able to pick some stocks at a certain price (a strike price, which is a certain % of the price of the stocks, normally abt 95%) and there will be an expiry date for the stocks, ie 30days, 60 days or 90 days.
If on the expiry date, the value of the stocks is higher than the strike price, the investor will earn the profits. If it is lower than the strike price, the investor will be liable to keep the stocks.
It is considered a fairly low risks investment as even if the price falls below the strike price on expiry date, the investor will keep the stocks. However most of the stocks ae considered "blue chips" stocks and will tend to rise in value sooner or later. :D

But for a novice, I woould advise to start off with unit trust or mutual funds investing for a start. Let me know if you are interested to know more.
Can you direct me to more information on ELN investment, I've an account in Taiwan, that allows me margin trading if i want, always thought it to be to risky. But i have a sound knowledge of tech stocks and products, So I may just have a little flutter on ELN if the prices are attractive. I can also see that the risk is much higher than short day trading, however with the help of some T/A and manufacturing data, I may be successful.

aloof

Post by aloof » Tue, 06 Sep 2005 3:33 pm

Hi ksl,

I did a search and found only limited information from the web. Maybe you would like to email or PM me your email account so that i can forward some attachments for you to read up on.

aloof