Singapore Expats

Family problems?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 9:18 am

I aim to please :cool:
some signatures are more equal than others

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 10:10 am

You guys are terrible! Here I was being all serious for once! :-|
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Post by Carpe Diem » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 10:23 am

sapphire wrote:You guys are terrible! Here I was being all serious for once! :-|
What makes you think we are not serious as well?
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 11:27 am

I will attempt a serious reply too, since I think the original question was serious.

I was watching Dr Phil once (I say this because I do not intend to take credit for this idea), and he was talking with parents and their children. Anyway, he said that sometimes people get a kind of "sunburn" from too much exposure (obviously to each other, but you get the connection...) Anyway, if you've ever been sunburnt you know that ANY kind of contact to your skin is excruciating and feels a lot stronger than it really is. So even though you or your parents might not be doing anything "wrong" per se, your feelings are just inflamed and overly-sensitive.

The cure for sunburn? Cover up (ie: take a break from the sun - move out) and then when you go back outside again wear sunscreen (visit them, then leave again).

I know where you are coming from. I just about went insane when my mum visited us for two weeks in March. When she left, I bawled like a baby. It's hard because there is a very real bond there obviously, but you just need space between you.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 12:10 pm

Forgot the topic.

Ah yes. Move out and keep contact. if after a while you miss them a lot, move in again. Serious.

Life here is so different from home where anyone over the age of 18 still living at home is regarded as being uanble to cope witht real life.

'nuff said Image

locallass
Chatter
Chatter

Post by locallass » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 2:20 pm

Brice, perhaps you should give it one last go before you consider moving out? I live with my parents too and used to be unhappy because they treated me like I was still 14. Had many many talks, even arguments, with them and for a long while, things remained the same. Then I decided enough was enough and told them that if they cannot give me the space I need, then I will move out. You should have seen the overnight change in them. The arguments went down by as much as 70%. I'll still like to have more space but I know my parents would regard it as their failing if I were to move out before I get married. So it'd have to do for now.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 3:12 pm

k1w1 wrote:I was watching Dr Phil once
Sorry but you just lost all credibility even though what followed made sense.
some signatures are more equal than others

briceloh
Chatter
Chatter

Post by briceloh » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 6:39 pm

thx to those who posted sincerely, most appreciated. take care ya all.
IBMing

Post by Guest » Mon, 05 Sep 2005 7:50 pm

banana wrote:
k1w1 wrote:I was watching Dr Phil once
Sorry but you just lost all credibility even though what followed made sense.
So you just don't like the source of the info - even though the info was decent? Snob :P

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Tue, 06 Sep 2005 2:59 pm

hey brice, understand your dilemma. i've lived away from my family for various periods and now live with my parents. it does help when there's some distance cos you start missing them and worrying about them so when you move back you appreciate being around them.

however parents here do take it personally when you say you want to move out. mine were devastated when i first mentioned it but now they've come round and i may move out soon without hurting their feelings. just explain it's something you have to do for yourself, to grow up, learn to take care of yourself, that kind of thing.

for myself, i've reached an understanding with my parents that when im in my room and the door is closed, that means i need space and they've learnt to leave me alone when i need to be. so i'm very happy living with them now.