Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Confused

Post by Confused » Fri, 02 Sep 2005 3:08 pm

Hi all...

I'm in a dilemma right now.. Got a job offer as a cabin crew from one of the low cost carrier... But don't know if I should take it up. I wanted to go for the experience.

Will Int'l carriers like SIA/Emirates take u in if u're from Low cost carrier? Would it a plus point or negetive point?

Need someone to give me advice :-|

eilza

Post by eilza » Fri, 02 Sep 2005 3:35 pm

Confused wrote:Hi all...

I'm in a dilemma right now.. Got a job offer as a cabin crew from one of the low cost carrier... But don't know if I should take it up. I wanted to go for the experience.

Will Int'l carriers like SIA/Emirates take u in if u're from Low cost carrier? Would it a plus point or negetive point?

hi confused,
it all depends on u. of course, if u take it up, it would be an experience and it will be a positive point when u apply for other airlines in the future. it won't be a negative point cos u already have the experiences in working as a cabin crew.
so it is up to u to decide, maybe u shld consider how long is the contract, bond and how many yearsd are u planning to fly, etc.
so all the best to u! :)

miss lala

Next SIA cabin crew recruitment

Post by miss lala » Fri, 02 Sep 2005 3:40 pm

Hi! Any idea when will the next recruitment exercise be for Singaporeans?

Although there's an upcoming interview session on 11 Sept, it's strictly for Malaysians and even though it's conducted in Singapore, the deadline for application is already over!

yan

Re: Next SIA cabin crew recruitment

Post by yan » Fri, 02 Sep 2005 3:50 pm

miss lala wrote:Hi! Any idea when will the next recruitment exercise be for Singaporeans?

Although there's an upcoming interview session on 11 Sept, it's strictly for Malaysians and even though it's conducted in Singapore, the deadline for application is already over!
hi, i think that there won't be anymore recruitment this year, got to wait for next year cos SIA already have 2 batches of trainess waiting for their classes to commence in dec. and these are selected during the july, august interviews. so right now, for the malaysia interview, i suppose is to selected some more girls to make up the number for the classes starting in dec.

the 11 sept in conducted in KL, malaysia. it is for malaysians only. this interview in Kl should be the last interview/selection for SIA this year.

yaoyao

Re: Next SIA cabin crew recruitment

Post by yaoyao » Fri, 02 Sep 2005 4:08 pm

yan wrote:
miss lala wrote:Hi! Any idea when will the next recruitment exercise be for Singaporeans?

hi, i think that there won't be anymore recruitment this year, got to wait for next year because SIA already have 2 batches of trainess waiting for their classes to commence in dec. and these are selected during the july, august interviews. so right now, for the malaysia interview, i suppose is to selected some more girls to make up the number for the classes starting in dec.

the 11 sept in conducted in KL, malaysia. it is for malaysians only. this interview in Kl should be the last interview/selection for SIA this year.
Sigh... confirm ah?

Confused

Post by Confused » Fri, 02 Sep 2005 4:30 pm

eilza wrote:

hi confused,
it all depends on u. of course, if u take it up, it would be an experience and it will be a positive point when u apply for other airlines in the future. it won't be a negative point because u already have the experiences in working as a cabin crew.
so it is up to u to decide, maybe u shld consider how long is the contract, bond and how many yearsd are u planning to fly, etc.
so all the best to u! :)
Thanks eliza for responding..

The bond is 1-yr & I have plans to fly for min. 5 years or above if I could...

stonekool

Post by stonekool » Fri, 02 Sep 2005 4:40 pm

Hi Silvr,
Please don't get me wrong here. All I was saying was that LynneLai should not be the least bothered or frustrated with that particular passenger as this in my experience hapens all the time.
I agree with you when you say that the passengers are the ones paying for the service. And the common protocol within the service industry is that the customer is always right. I myself live to that adage.
But I do feel that there should be at least a sense of common respect between the one receiving the service and the one providing it.

Cheers,
Stonekool

frequentflyer

Post by frequentflyer » Fri, 02 Sep 2005 7:59 pm

pardon me for sidetracking a little here, but honestly as a frequent flyer on SQ Raffles Class, i find that the quality of stewardesses are on the decline. More often than not, on my long haul flights to JFK, LAX and SFO, i do notice preferential treatment to myself (an American) when i am travelling with my assistant (Singaporean chinese). I don't mean to be picky, but my assistant actually encountered some difficulties with a stewardess aboard the plane just last week (SIN-LAX). I won't go into specifics here but it was quite an dampener on her flight. It honestly does seem a little off-putting or even fake (read obnoxious), the way the stewardess was trying to placate the situation thereafter.

Some of my local colleagues here have also lamented on the fact that the stewardesses on certain flights were pretty shabby looking and short. Although, i can't really fathom how the former but at 6'2, i do tower like a giant over even the stewards lest the petite stewardesses

Post by Guest » Fri, 02 Sep 2005 9:15 pm

frequentflyer wrote:pardon me for sidetracking a little here, but honestly as a frequent flyer on SQ Raffles Class, i find that the quality of stewardesses are on the decline. More often than not, on my long haul flights to JFK, LAX and SFO, i do notice preferential treatment to myself (an American) when i am travelling with my assistant (Singaporean chinese). I don't mean to be picky, but my assistant actually encountered some difficulties with a stewardess aboard the plane just last week (SIN-LAX). I won't go into specifics here but it was quite an dampener on her flight. It honestly does seem a little off-putting or even fake (read obnoxious), the way the stewardess was trying to placate the situation thereafter.

Some of my local colleagues here have also lamented on the fact that the stewardesses on certain flights were pretty shabby looking and short. Although, i can't really fathom how the former but at 6'2, i do tower like a giant over even the stewards lest the petite stewardesses
U are right, i totally agree with u... i have seen for myself at the airport.. short, plumb or very heavy bottom.. and not exactly pretty..

But i still wanna be a Spore Ger coz of the pay... I have a degree in eng, from a local U, but how much can i earn a mth as an engineer? I gotta repay monthly bank loans (tuition fees) and home allowances, if i take back $1.6K a mth after cpf, i will only be debt free when i am 28-30!? By then, i wonder if i will even have any significant savings!??!
I have seen many of my frenz who worked in banks and reputable consultancy films.. but after a few years, still 0 savings by mth end!?

I really dun wan to be in the rat race...

Post by Guest » Fri, 02 Sep 2005 9:46 pm

Anonymous wrote:
frequentflyer wrote:pardon me for sidetracking a little here, but honestly as a frequent flyer on SQ Raffles Class, i find that the quality of stewardesses are on the decline. More often than not, on my long haul flights to JFK, LAX and SFO, i do notice preferential treatment to myself (an American) when i am travelling with my assistant (Singaporean chinese). I don't mean to be picky, but my assistant actually encountered some difficulties with a stewardess aboard the plane just last week (SIN-LAX). I won't go into specifics here but it was quite an dampener on her flight. It honestly does seem a little off-putting or even fake (read obnoxious), the way the stewardess was trying to placate the situation thereafter.

U are right, i totally agree with u... i have seen for myself at the airport.. short, plumb or very heavy bottom.. and not exactly pretty..

But i still want to be a Singapore Ger because of the pay... I have a degree in eng, from a local U, but how much can i earn a mth as an engineer? I gotta repay monthly bank loans (tuition fees) and home allowances, if i take back $1.6K a mth after cpf, i will only be debt free when i am 28-30!? By then, i wonder if i will even have any significant savings!??!
I have seen many of my frenz who worked in banks and reputable consultancy films.. but after a few years, still 0 savings by mth end!?

I really dun wan to be in the rat race...
ya, i dun mean i'm pretty.. but when u see some of the SQ stewardesses looking not exactly pretty. you might think "if they can get in, why can't i?" but this kinda things is always hard to say lor. Other than luck, it's oso up to the interviewers.
:shock:

happiegal

Post by happiegal » Fri, 02 Sep 2005 11:36 pm

hi...if im not wrong, sq prefer pple with no experience. i tink u can ask those already flying in sq for advice. my fren was telling mi the reason being those without experience will b easier to 'mould' to fit into their culture rather than those that had been in other airlines. i dun tink sq will like some1 to bring other airline cultures into their environment. tis is wat i was told. not sure how true. but so far i'd nvr heard of previous crews getting into SQ, all who got in are fresh without any flying experience.

Post by Guest » Fri, 02 Sep 2005 11:50 pm

LynneLai wrote:hihi.... to all!

My e-mail address is [email protected]..... Those who are interested to e-mail me to solve your long doubted queries, u can e-mail me. But sorry, I dont usually add people, other than friends, in my MSN... Hope u guys understand, I am sorry.. :)

Erm.... as to the question of height again... Most people are asking whether 157 or 156 can get in annot, and what are the chances like... I cant say that u have 0 chances at all, but I cant tell u that u sure get in some day... because I don't know, i really don't know.... Yes, though i am one with only 156cm in height and very luckily managed to join SQ... i still don't know how the interviewer choose and what they look out for, seriously i can tell you that.... it's pure luck...the interviewer that you bump into that interview day.... Pray that the lady luck shines for all of you girls!

As for the age thing, as i mentioned previously, my colleague's buddy is coming 29 this year... and she belongs to the same batch as me, we merely just flew for 6 months, just receive confirmation from SQ... meaning that she is already 28 when she was selected.... so as long as u are 29 and below... dont think there should be any problem, but of because, u have to maintain ur look, complexion and figure ya...

erm...height, age... what else.... salary? Oh yes.... the basic is $1.1K, $1.3K and $1.4K... for trainee stewardess, probation stewardess and after confirmation respectively. Flight allowances varies from $150 for turn around flight to $1500 for 7 days flights... depending....
So depending how often u fly a month... that will determine ur salary... usual range from $3600 to $4800... but i once heard my colleague, who take home $6800! She is very hardworking ya! In addition to the aboav, we also have IFA (In FLight Allowance, which is calculated on per hour basis), uniform allowances and tranportation allowances as well....

:)
Take home 6.8K is a whole lot of money!! This means 8.5K before CPF!! Pls correct me if i am wrong Lynne, allowances are subjected to CPF contribution rite? in addition to basic pay and etc...

Eelyn

Post by Eelyn » Sat, 03 Sep 2005 1:31 am

happiegal wrote:

hi...if im not wrong, sq prefer pple with no experience. i tink u can ask those already flying in sq for advice. my fren was telling mi the reason being those without experience will b easier to 'mould' to fit into their culture rather than those that had been in other airlines. i dun tink sq will like some1 to bring other airline cultures into their environment. tis is wat i was told. not sure how true. but so far i'd nvr heard of previous crews getting into SQ, all who got in are fresh without any flying experience.
hi, SIA do take in stewardess with experiences. SIA have quite a number of stewardess who used to work with JAL, Emirates and Gulf Air.
my friend who has been working with SIA for 5 years, told me before that SIA take in quite a big numbers of cabin crews from JAL, Emirates and Gulf Air.
so experiences do counts....

Post by Guest » Sat, 03 Sep 2005 11:22 am

happiegal wrote:

Not very true. not cast in stone. my colleague is an ex JAL gal who is now with sia.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat, 03 Sep 2005 11:50 am

i refer to the earlier post by frequent flyer and i do concur on his points. As an expatriate myself based in Singapore, i am surprised by the preferential treatment aboard SIA. Like frequentflyer, i regularly shuttle between tokyo, london, singapore and new york as an investment banker and it always amazes me how the stewardess would be extremely personable to a caucasian passenger and simply brush aside my fellow travelling colleague(s) who are Asian/Singaporean. Although i should not be complaining as a result, but i feel that in order to be a true service champion, service consistency is just as important element in deriving overall service quality.

And to the commentary on the 'declining quality' of SIA stewardess, i must say it really is not such an important agenda on SQ's plate but rather it should emphasise upon service equality and consistency. I have also travelled on Cathay and Emirates and believe me, these guys are on par (if not, better) than SIA in my opinion. Therefore, my honest advice to aspiring local stewardesses is to live and breath the SIA service mantra and to be really in it, with the passion to provide equivocal service. Looks and all, are really secondary. I am rooting for SIA to reclaim the No.1 airliner spot in next year's survey.