Singapore Expats

Importing apparel to Singapore

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
blur

Importing apparel to Singapore

Post by blur » Wed, 31 Aug 2005 11:02 am

i will be importing apparels from thailand to sell..either rent a push cart or stall..does this consider business? must i register to the govt.? and wat are the procedures for shipping the goods over? Do i ask the thailand manufacturer to find a freight company and they will do everything for me? What else do i need to do? How is the apparels tax? by weight ? Sorry for so much questions..i'm really unsure about it. Pls advise! thanks

coffeetea

Re: import apparels to Singapore...

Post by coffeetea » Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:15 pm

Hi blur,

U can read some of the posts, u might find something useful

Pushcart for apparels no need to register BUT stall as in shop YES

For shipping the goods over.. u can ask your manufacturer to find a freight company and ship it to Singapore and from Singapore u find local freight forwarder to ship to your company

For shipping over can be by air or sea.. depend on your items (the weight and sizes) u have to calculate to see which one cheaper or faster for your convince. (The time and money)

If your items is least the one container (LCL) u have to share the container and have to wait till the container is full then able to ship over. And also have to see if there is any vessel coming to Singapore during that time.

If your items is not too heavy or too bulky, by Air will be much more faster. BUT mostly will cost more. If by DHL etc, will direct to you door step.

:P :P ** Correct me if i'm wrong** :P :P

blur wrote:i will be importing apparels from thailand to sell..either rent a push cart or stall..does this consider business? must i register to the govt.? and wat are the procedures for shipping the goods over? Do i ask the thailand manufacturer to find a freight company and they will do everything for me? What else do i need to do? How is the apparels tax? by weight ? Sorry for so much questions..i'm really unsure about it. Pls advise! thanks

CSP

Post by CSP » Sun, 23 Oct 2005 2:37 am

Any idea how much freight forwarder charge.

coffeetea

Post by coffeetea » Mon, 24 Oct 2005 1:02 pm

Depands on your items and weight like how many cartons, the sizes of the cartons or items...

Do check from a few forwarders for the rate..

CSP wrote:Any idea how much freight forwarder charge.

CSP

Post by CSP » Mon, 24 Oct 2005 5:32 pm

coffeetea wrote:Depands on your items and weight like how many cartons, the sizes of the cartons or items...

Thank you

coffeetea

Post by coffeetea » Tue, 25 Oct 2005 12:27 pm

welcome.... what are u importing?? :roll:
CSP wrote:
coffeetea wrote:Depands on your items and weight like how many cartons, the sizes of the cartons or items...

Thank you

CSP

Post by CSP » Wed, 26 Oct 2005 2:34 pm

coffeetea wrote:welcome.... what are u importing?? :roll:
CSP wrote:

Thank you
Nothing.
Just ask only

singapore

Post by singapore » Wed, 26 Oct 2005 2:53 pm

Hi,
I'm interested in exporting handcrafts to Singapore.
If the initial poster can e-mail me direct? I am also based in Bangkok and may be we can work out some sort of a collaboration?
[email protected]

Hanesa

Import Freight Charges

Post by Hanesa » Fri, 25 Nov 2005 2:27 am

Hi All,

For those who need goods to import to Singapore. You have to appoint a clearing agent e.g., a freight forwarding company. This is to indicate in the airwaybill so that the agent will be notified when the goods arrived in either by air or sea.

The agent then collect the document which includes 1. packing list 2. invoice 3. applies for the permit and pays the GST.

After doing so, he collects the goods and delivers to the consignee (the receiver).

For the charges, you need to pay in Singapore are the handling charges, documentation charges, Agents' fee, documents for the Bill of Lading and transport charges.

Email me if you need to find out more at [email protected]

Regards
Hann