Singapore Expats

What is """"allowance"""?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Qurious cat

What is """"allowance"""?

Post by Qurious cat » Mon, 29 Aug 2005 12:55 pm

I'm a Euro so I have NO idea what allowance are Imean if u make $3000 a month u make $3000 and u spend it on anything........so is allowance part of the $3000? or just extra bonus that u can get other goodies with? Also if u don't use that allowance does it go over to the next month or year and at the end can u cash it as $

I'm totally clueless

Idealist

Post by Idealist » Mon, 29 Aug 2005 1:43 pm

Allowance simply means extra money that u get on top of ur base salary. Base for FAs are usually quite low, it's the allowances that u get contibutes to the overall take home salary, which is called gross salary here in Singapore. For S'poreans and PRs, their gross salary will be deducted futher by 20% for compulsory contribution to their CPF account.

$1,200 (Basic salary) + Travel Allowances + Meal Allowances = Gross Pay (e.g S$3500)

Post by Guest » Mon, 29 Aug 2005 3:15 pm

Idealist wrote:Allowance simply means extra money that u get on top of ur base salary. Base for FAs are usually quite low, it's the allowances that u get contibutes to the overall take home salary, which is called gross salary here in Singapore. For S'poreans and PRs, their gross salary will be deducted futher by 20% for compulsory contribution to their CPF account.

$1,200 (Basic salary) + Travel Allowances + Meal Allowances = Gross Pay (e.g S$3500)
Thanks for the explanation. Do u have to use those Allowance on stuff as specify such as travel, meal, car etc... If u're not limited to the use of these allowances and will be getting actual $ at the end of each month why not just add all the $ together and just simplily call it monthly payment?

anyway being in euro I still think the U.S. has the best system.......u wk by the hr. get pay by the week and get tax by the yrs and get retirement by the time u're able to die :D (that last part sticks)......simple system

Post by Guest » Mon, 29 Aug 2005 3:16 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Idealist wrote:Allowance simply means extra money that u get on top of ur base salary. Base for FAs are usually quite low, it's the allowances that u get contibutes to the overall take home salary, which is called gross salary here in Singapore. For S'poreans and PRs, their gross salary will be deducted futher by 20% for compulsory contribution to their CPF account.

Thanks for the explanation. Do u have to use those Allowance on stuff as specify such as travel, meal, car etc... If u're not limited to the use of these allowances and will be getting actual $ at the end of each month why not just add all the $ together and just simplily call it monthly payment?

anyway being in euro I still think the U.S. has the best system.......u wk by the hr. get pay by the week and get tax by the yrs and get retirement by the time u're about to die :D (that last part sticks)......simple system

Post by Guest » Tue, 30 Aug 2005 7:32 pm

Anonymous wrote:

anyway being in euro I still think the U.S. has the best system.......u wk by the hr. get pay by the week and get tax by the yrs and get retirement by the time u're able to die :D (that last part sticks)......simple system
US pays by hour even for permanent jobs??

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Post by riversandlakes » Tue, 30 Aug 2005 7:36 pm

no way, though as a matter of fact they are paid fortnightly...
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

Post by Guest » Wed, 31 Aug 2005 2:55 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

US pays by hour even for permanent jobs??
US gets pay weekly but count ur pay by the hour.....OT + weekends are double of ur hourly wage.............so still what is allowance? I haven't gotten allowance since when i was a teen :D

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”