Singapore Expats

What's the first thing you do when you go home?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

What's the first thing you do when you go home?

Post by Bubbles » Mon, 29 Aug 2005 6:27 am

What's the first thing you do when you get home from being abroad?

No, not unlock the door, the real first thing that makes you think, 'Great, I really am home?'

For me, apart from making a cup of tea with British milk, which tastes different to milk abroad, it's making a bacon sandwich (sorry Islamic folks) and putting tomato ketchup in it. Oh, bliss.

When I get into Heathrow the very first thing I do is to pretend I'm a film star..........you know when you come out of the bit where all the families and taxi drivers are waiting???...I wear my sunglasses and keep my head down and rush through, looking as if I don't want to be photographed...........ha bloody ha.........nobody has been fooled yet, but one day someone will think I'm some eccentric old film star gone to seed and may rush after me for an autograph.

Don't ask me why I do this but it's the nearest I ever get to being looked at by hundreds of people....so....maybe I should practice public speaking???either that or go see a shrink???
lolololol......................
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

cam..

Post by cam.. » Mon, 29 Aug 2005 7:13 am

Shrink, shrink!

Tea for me too, but I have to make do with Lipton and 'brownes' milk. I have actually forgotten what PG tips tastes like - is that still around in old blighty?

Off topic I know but Little Britain has finally aired here in Singapore (re. the thread some months back which seemed to cause a bit of a bruhaha)

Isle

Post by Isle » Mon, 29 Aug 2005 8:27 am

cam.. wrote:Shrink, shrink!

Tea for me too, but I have to make do with Lipton and 'brownes' milk. I have actually forgotten what PG tips tastes like - is that still around in old blighty?

Off topic I know but Little Britain has finally aired here in Singapore (re. the thread some months back which seemed to cause a bit of a bruhaha)
After all the hype over it, when i finally saw it, it didnt make me role over...there were some parts which were hilarious but otherwise.. standard in my opinion-maybe living here has jaded my sense of Brit humour!

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Baron Greenback » Mon, 29 Aug 2005 5:03 pm

Tea! We get friends to bring massive boxes of PG tips over with them, also monster munch pickled onion.

First thing I usually do is get hold of my mates who still toke & nip round to theirs for a bud or two - if you know what I mean :wink:
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Mon, 29 Aug 2005 5:31 pm

Do you also dust off that old Deep Purple record?
some signatures are more equal than others

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Mon, 29 Aug 2005 5:39 pm

Baron, that explains it all, you know the ear wax bit. :P
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Mon, 29 Aug 2005 5:44 pm

Considering Singapore oy home, first thing I would do when coming home from being abroad would be to get some tea as well I guess. But of course not with milk (yuks...), just a nice calming camomile or jasmine tea, sometimes a really spicy ginger tea.

Back in Holland, it was always first thing to go the fridge and grab a nice hoegaarden grand cru.... can't find that beer here in Singapore... :(

Eric

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Mon, 29 Aug 2005 5:59 pm

Normally I just grab the keys to my car, stick the roof down and go for a blast along some country roads!!

Bee

Post by Bee » Tue, 06 Sep 2005 10:57 pm

I liked this thread, so I'm bumping it! Hope you dont mind :wink:

The first thing I do each day when I get home is change into really comfy clothes and grab an ice cold water.

If I was going home to Aus I'd probably set about fixing all those cravings I've been having since being in Singapore, such as great fish and chips, a bakery made meat pie, fresh milk and loaves of bread without sugar, fresh ocean air, and above all else, stocking up on reasonably priced wine! :D

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Post by Carpe Diem » Tue, 06 Sep 2005 11:24 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote: Back in Holland, it was always first thing to go the fridge and grab a nice hoegaarden grand cru.... can't find that beer here in Singapore... :(

Eric
Too late... May be they kept a few bottles?
http://www.worldgourmetsummit.com/wgs20 ... anbeer.pdf
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Wed, 07 Sep 2005 10:11 am

Oh noooo!!!!

Rub it in CD, rub it in....

It hurts... :(

Eric

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Post by Carpe Diem » Wed, 07 Sep 2005 11:13 am

Rub what?

SORRY...
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Wed, 07 Sep 2005 11:44 am

hahahahaa!!!

Eric

Sith HC

Post by Sith HC » Wed, 07 Sep 2005 12:31 pm

After a muggy ride in the bus choc a block with National Service recruits, in dire need of some deodorant and possibly a shower with large amounts of Dettol or Radox, I have a quick shower and catch my favourite telly family, The Simpsons. No family cracks me up harder than them. It's the best and only tried and tested method of stress relief! I pray Star Hub will keep them going for at least another year or so. I'd be so dissapointing if it were to be replaced.