Singapore Expats

The joy of Scuba

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

The joy of Scuba

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:17 am

The day after a man lost his wife in a scuba diving accident, he was greeted by two grim-faced policemen at his door.

"We're sorry to call on you at this hour, Mr. Jones, but we have some information about your wife."

"Well, tell me!" the man said. The policeman said, "We have some bad news, some good news, and some really great news.

Which do you want to hear first?" Fearing the worse, Mr. Jones said, "Give me the bad news first."

So the policeman said, "I'm sorry to tell you, sir, but this morning we found your wife's body in the San Francisco Bay."

"Oh my god!" said Mr. Jones, overcome by emotion. Remembering what the cop had said, he asked, "So what's the good news?"

"Well," said the cop, "when we pulled her up she had two five-pound lobsters and a dozen good size Dungeoness crabs on her."

"If that's the good news, then what's the great news!?!" he asked. And the cop replied...

"We're going to pull her up again tomorrow morning!"
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Post by Carpe Diem » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:25 am

you guys are still going for seafood this week end?? :wink:
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:31 am

Hey CP, the average Singaporean has no idea what crabs feed on. If they knew that crabs & monitor lizzards had the same diet prices of crab would go down to a respectible level wouldn't they! :mrgreen:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Post by Carpe Diem » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:46 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Hey CP, the average Singaporean has no idea what crabs feed on. If they knew that crabs & monitor lizzards had the same diet prices of crab would go down to a respectible level wouldn't they! :mrgreen:
Lobsters catch mainly fresh food (except for bait) which includes fish, crabs, clams, mussels, sea urchins, and sometimes even other lobsters.

Monitor lizzards eat anything that they can swallow. From tiny insects, to crabs, molluscs, snakes, eggs (of birds and crocodiles), fish including eels up to 1m long. They also eat birds, rodents, small mouse deer, even other monitor lizards. They are particularly fond of carrion. They even eat rubbish, human faeces, and even dead bodies.

I always preferred lobsters over monitor lizzards. I won't change my mind then...
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

briceloh
Chatter
Chatter

Post by briceloh » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:31 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Hey CP, the average Singaporean has no idea what crabs feed on. If they knew that crabs & monitor lizzards had the same diet prices of crab would go down to a respectible level wouldn't they! :mrgreen:
r u a vegetarian?
IBMing

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Baron Greenback » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 12:16 pm

I have never had monitor lizard, does it taste like chicken?
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 12:45 pm

Actually quite close to the taste of alligator (which certain cuts actually do taste something like chicken or pork - it's a white meat) I've only ever had it one time and that was in a curry. It is eaten by some indians here in Singapore, Flying Fox as well.

sms

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Baron Greenback » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 2:00 pm

SMS - really? cool! Where would I go to try. I am of the opinion that I should try new food as it might be the best thing I have ever tasted & if I don't try I just wouldn't know.

I took my gf's father out for sushi once - he is very much a meat & 2 veg man. I told him my philosophy about food & some eel went past on the conveyer belt. He asked what it was & I told him, he asked what it was like & I had to confess I had never tried it. He told me to put my money where my mouth was. I tried it thinking it would be quite slimey, it was delicious, very tender white meat like a Dory. Glad I did.
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 3:01 pm

Croc steak is quite delicious, I am sorry to say so...

I had Iguana (lizard) as well, back in Peru. It didnot taste good at all, very strong aftertaste and not exactly the equivalent of a juicy tender meat.

My greatest delicacy however was the big bird spiders / tarantula's in the Amazon, caught by the natives there, grilled on an open fire after being wrapped in a banana leaf, then after eating this chicken like meat, use the two big teeth of the spider as the twister to clean your teeth. :D

Eric

whatalark
Regular
Regular

Post by whatalark » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 7:50 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote: .
My greatest delicacy however was the big bird spiders / tarantula's in the Amazon, caught by the natives there, grilled on an open fire after being wrapped in a banana leaf, then after eating this chicken like meat, use the two big teeth of the spider as the twister to clean your teeth. :D

Eric
Groan.... barf.
no trees were hurt in the making of this post but a few electrons were terribly inconvenienced

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:54 pm

Baron, don't know where to tell you to try it. I had it years ago when my FiL gave a 1.5 metre Monitor Lizzard I caught in my back yard to a neighbourhood family of Indians (My FiL also Indian but now passed on) who fixed a curry with it and gave us some. I've always been like yourself, I'll try anything twice. If I don't like it the first time I'll try it later elsewhere. If I don't like it there or fixed differently then okay, I don't like it. The first time I give the benefit of the doubt to as it might not been prepared properly. This backfired once on the Island of Natuna. Got the worse case of ptomain I've ever had. Still try strange things. Have also unknowingly eated man's best friend in vietnam back in the 60's while dining with a village headman. :(

I've never tried Flying Fox but my FiL was always trying to get me to try to shoot one down with my speargun. We had a Eugenia (Sp?) growing in our yard that was about 100 years old and when it would fruit the bats would fly in from Johore I think just to feed on the fruit. These things have a wing spread of over 4 and a half feet. The bodies are about the size & weight of a good size Red Squirrel and they are fruit eaters.

Smoked eel is excellent!

sms

Return to “Leisure Chat, Jokes, Rubbish”