Singapore Expats

Is This American or Christian Terrorism?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Concerned Global Citizen

Is This American or Christian Terrorism?

Post by Concerned Global Citizen » Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:40 am

http://au.news.yahoo.com//050823/19/vmnz.html

Tuesday August 23, 11:13 PM

Christian figure calls on US to murder Venezuelan president

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson urged the United States to assassinate Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, who is a "dangerous enemy," Roberts told watchers of his "The 700 Club" television show.

"If he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it," Robertson, 75, said in a live broadcast Monday from Christian Broadcasting Network headquarters in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

Robertson's incendiary comment came at the close of a long report by his CBN news team on Chavez's anti-US rhetoric and growing links to both President Fidel Castro's communist Cuba and Arab nations.

The television preacher and former presidential candidate expressed regret that during a brief and failed civilian-military coup against Chavez in April 2002 the United States did nothing to help topple the populist leader.

Since then, Robertson said, Chavez "has destroyed the Venezuelan economy, and he's going to make that a launching pad for communist infiltration and Muslim extremism all over the continent," he said.

Eliminating Chavez would be "a whole lot cheaper than starting a war," said Robertson.

"We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability," said the Christian leader.

"We don't need another 200 billion dollar war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator. It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with."

The Biblical ten commandments, generally considered one of the foundation stones of Christianity, contain the instruction "Thou shalt not kill."

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Post by beenhere10years » Wed, 24 Aug 2005 5:41 am

Easy: neither.

Just the rantings of a lunatic.
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

Another Concerned Citizen

Bush backers

Post by Another Concerned Citizen » Wed, 24 Aug 2005 8:06 am

beenhere10years wrote:Easy: neither.

Just the rantings of a lunatic.
But, these are the people who backs Bush and brought him back to power.

Bush had asked moderate Muslims to stand up to the extremists within their ranks such as Osama's mob. Shouldn't moderate Christians stand up to people like Robertson who makes millions via TV evangelism and probably spends some of it to fund the type of terrorism he is advocating .... ie. to hire hitmen to kill foriegn leaders who don't agree with their mob.

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Post by beenhere10years » Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:50 pm

How do you know we're not?
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.

-- jack handy

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Wed, 24 Aug 2005 1:00 pm

beenhere10years wrote:How do you know we're not?

:D Nice one, BH10Y.

Absolutely right, the guy is a fool, though a dangerous one - estimates are that 1million people listen to his show - adn you can bet they voted for Bush . . . (Don't show Wham this reply, though, I'm baiting him with the same one)

There are ranting lunatics everywhere.

'nuff said Image

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Post by beenhere10years » Wed, 24 Aug 2005 1:12 pm

Fair point. Let's look at it this way, my Dad voted for Bush and he's Catholic and knows Pat Robertson is a fool. He just liked Bush better than Kerry. A lot of very smart people voted for Bush for a lot of reasons. I would have voted for Cary Grant before I voted for Bush, and he's dead! But that's just me.

It's the squeaky wheel thing, the extremists of every religion are the noisiest -- at times like this we really have to believe in the silent majority.

-- jack handy

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 24 Aug 2005 2:32 pm

That's okay. Sooner or later Robertson will be found out just like Jim Bakker was and he'll pay the price as well.

Which reminds me.....why is Jim's name spelled with two k's?

Because three would have been too obvious! :wave:

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

beenhere10years
Chatter
Chatter

Post by beenhere10years » Wed, 24 Aug 2005 4:56 pm

Good one :wink:

-- jack handy

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Wham » Thu, 25 Aug 2005 3:31 pm

Pat Robertson is a wacko fool. It is nice to see we can all agree on something. Maybe we can find a way to ship him off to Iran so he can live with his own (extremest) people.

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Post by Carpe Diem » Thu, 25 Aug 2005 3:35 pm

Oops, Wham I had skipped your post...
This time I fully agree with you. No more :shooting:
Till next time...
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Thu, 25 Aug 2005 4:34 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:Oops, Wham I had skipped your post...
This time I fully agree with you. No more :shooting:
Till next time...

CD, you are such a pessimist . . .

Those pesky South Americans - - - - endangering the supply of oil, however . . . Can't have anyone threaten supplies of raw materials, this must be acted upon.

Chill, Wham - this is one of the reasons why the Japanese got into WW2 . . . Oops . . . :-$ :-$

'nuff said Image

The Deal

Post by The Deal » Thu, 25 Aug 2005 4:57 pm

Saying stupid things isn't terrorism, it just means the speaker is stupid. Robertson is crazy zealot. While most people that support him voted for Bush, only a fraction of the people that voted for Bush support Pat Robertson.

Also, note the quick apology. I never heard anyone moslem extremists apologize.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Thu, 25 Aug 2005 5:31 pm

Also, note the quick apology. I never heard anyone moslem extremists apologize.

Well, congratulations . . . .

Umm, why the defense here? Can you not grasp the thread of this post - everyone agrees this guy is a whacko - you're just giving him credibility - in the wrong sense - by comparing him to Islam's zealots . . .

As in: Uhhh, our loonies are better than theirs . . . .

Are you Wham in disguise? :boxing:

'nuff said Image

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Post by Carpe Diem » Thu, 25 Aug 2005 6:06 pm

Why a pessimist? Vaucluse I must be tired, I don't get you. :???:
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Thu, 25 Aug 2005 7:32 pm

A pessimist, Carpe Diem, because you expect la grande autre nation d'employer la violence encore . . . :D

'nuff said Image