Singapore Expats

Atkin's Diet

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
beeline

Atkin's Diet

Post by beeline » Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:28 am

HEy! who has tried Atkin's diet before? does it really helps, pls share..

expatlady
Regular
Regular

Post by expatlady » Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:31 am

don't think about it just stay away at all cost.

babykasim
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Atkin's Diet

Post by babykasim » Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:41 am

beeline wrote:HEy! who has tried Atkin's diet before? does it really helps, pls share..
I did!! - well I actually did a mix of SouthBeach and Atkins Diet.
It helps in shedding the kgs but u have to stick to that diet else it will come back.
I exercise as well so I think combination of diet n exercise is the best.

I think its kinda difficult to do it now that GnC didn't carry their stuffs again - I love their cereal, pancake, shakes, and chocolates a lot!!

But now that I know those kind of diet won't stay long unless you stick to it for live Im just eating healthy.

Post by Guest » Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:57 am

I did but not buying any of their stuff, coz not available locally.

I follow what Atkins' rule on food can be taken and to avoid. I read up on others doctor's diet books as well, most of them have the same principal of Atkins.

My purpose is not to lose weight (my BMI 18.5) but to maintain healthy life-style. I don't want to grow old sickly.

Of couse, there are pple against Atkins diet.

Currymeister
Regular
Regular

Post by Currymeister » Sun, 07 Sep 2008 1:18 pm

Dont listen to the people that tell you to avoiud it at all costs. they obviously don't understand the principle of it.

Induction helps you get to a stage where the bod becomes a fat burning machine. In that stage you basically eat green veg, lean meat, cheese, eggs. normally you do that for 2 weeks.

The Ongong Weight Loss stage is a healthy plan, which introduces some fruits, more veg etc, you can even have some white wine and spirits. You don't need to go overboard on the fatty foods anyway, so what's the problem. And it cuts out bad carbs/sugars. Any Doctor would tell you that's good for you.

Look at the acceptable foods in each phase, as see if it's for you.

I do agree, it is a change of lifestyle for good, but it's a healthy one. Make sure you're happy with the cutting out some foods for good. They're usually very unhealthy anyway!! :)

lilSara

it works with me !

Post by lilSara » Wed, 22 Oct 2008 9:37 pm

I did !!!! it works very well with me as well.

But have to say, I'm not so strict with its rules. I mean, I just avoided having breads,rice, noodles but I still drink coke and juice and having ice-cream and whatever I want once a week (not to get myself too stressful).

So, I still can enjoy any foods I like. As much as I want.. and not gaining weights.

I also did jogging for 20 mins per time, 3 times a week.

I spent only 4 months to lose 13 kg.

And my habit has been totally changed since. Eventhough these days, I already eat like normal, but my weight never come back. It has been remained same for 5years already.

And I'm getting stronger since I also do exercise. You should try. Or in youtube, there are also many successors there !! Check them out for some motivations !

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Oct 2008 9:24 am

Unfortunately, Atkins is not for everybody. I also know people who have used it successfully for a while and lost heaps of weight. And for the right people it's okay. However, if you are susceptible to gout you will be asking for trouble as it's primarily a HIGH protein diet and Dr. Atkins recommended not doing it for that reason. Also, any High Protein diet that is also low carb makes you highly susceptible to gall bladder stones.

Again, not saying is it a bad program. I researched it quite heavily before starting the program that was so successful for me.

Unfortunately, most on this board don realize the primary tenant of ALL weight loss programs........

YOU CANNOT GO BACK TO EATING NORMALLY WHEN YOU FINISH!

Think about it. If you had be EATING NORMALLY you would not have gotten fat! 90% of thin people have to work to stay that way. The big difference between them and overweight is one word only.

The word? "NO!" You have been eating ABNORMALLY. Why go back to that? Eat properly. There's more to life than stuffing groceries in your gob!

The thin ones have learned to say NO to the second helping, NO to the 3rd drink, NO to the huge bowl of ice cream for desert. NO to "Upsize Me".

Unfortunately, The other problem with the Atkins diet is that is doesn't correct the hormonal imbalance the has been programmed into your HGH due to years of improper eating habits. So the first thing that happens once you quit the diet is that you grab a huge chunk of carbs and send your body into a craving spell which if not gotten control of quickly, will send you spiraling downhill and the weight will just come back again. Carbs are very dangerous and should be controlled and balanced with the right about of exercise.

Weightloss programs in general are not good unless they are coupled with a change of lifestyle. If you are not prepared to change your lifestyle, you shouldn't diet as yo-yo dieting can be just as bad for your health as obesity is.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

hannah.86

Post by hannah.86 » Sat, 01 Nov 2008 5:35 am

Hi there, I didn’t try it personally but a friend did and she said it didn’t do her body good at all, it’s not a healthy diet, too much fat and too little carbs. I looked at what she was eating and it kind of shocked me … it can’t be a healthy combination. I’d recommend doing something healthier, like Weight Watchers, which is a really good programme… or just eat healthy and exercise!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 01 Nov 2008 6:52 am

Guess that's why WW has about an 80% failure rate huh!??!

If you don't know about something it's better not to post at all instead of looking foolish.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jiaojiao

Post by jiaojiao » Fri, 07 Nov 2008 10:54 am

I had tried Atkins and for 3 months, I eat whenever I am hungry (mostly steaks or soup) and drink whenever I feel like it (mostly whiskey + soda), but no potatoes, rice etc.. NO CARBS and SUGAR is the key words. The best is you drink "clear soup" like French onion soup and not the starchy ones like chowder etc. Avoid things like beer, banana, desserts. You may have the mentality that (Just a bit will not affect), my advice is.. AVOID TOTALLY! Try to cut down on late meals but when you are hungry at night after 9pm, what I did was ... DRINK THE HOT SOUP. Result I had was losing 18kg is 3 months.

Few things you need to take note.

1. You will lose weight, but you need to exercise to tone your "losen flesh"
2. Drink alot of water or chinese tea.
3. Eat fruits daily for the "sugar" that you need
4. MOST IMPORTANTLY!! After you had lost weight, PLEASE maintain because if you are not discipline (like me) You put on weight as fast as you lose them.
FAT ~~ Fabulous And Terrific

Dounut
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Dounut » Fri, 07 Nov 2008 6:51 pm

I take L-Carnitine as breakfast drink, before continue with my usual breakfast. My weight lost gradually, many others who tried it from the same company, got same feed back of losing the extra weights. It's good for the heart too.

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Sat, 08 Nov 2008 9:13 am

It works pretty good and overall health better.

For the weight loss you still need to do exercise (I am a number one couch (Komputer) potato so exercise is not one of my favorite subjects either). Walk home from work or part of the way from work - Walk to work if you have a shower there. No need to spend money at a gym as the exercise needed is easily got from walking, running and cycling. If got knee problems go swimming.
Be Like Water

NCD22

Ketone Strips?

Post by NCD22 » Wed, 04 Feb 2009 10:21 am

Anyone know where to get the Ketone Strips in Singapore? Does Guardian have them or should I go to a full fledged pharmacy?
:wink: ››NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE REAL THING‹‹ :wink:

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Wed, 04 Feb 2009 10:24 am

You can get them from Guardian if I'm not mistaken.
Be Like Water

BodyBlitz
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BodyBlitz » Wed, 04 Feb 2009 10:34 am

Yes guardian should have them.
http://bodyblitz.sg - A new era of fitness.