Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.

Post by Guest » Tue, 16 Aug 2005 9:39 pm

i agree! She is actually being considerate! only go for what u want! if u are not sure, DONT!

shawna

Post by shawna » Wed, 17 Aug 2005 3:07 am

does anyone know when is SIA recruiting cabin crew again?

feels like they aren't recruiting anymore.... been waiting for their opening...i am not young anymore, 27 years OLD... guess once 2005 ends, my chances of getting an interview with SIA is going to be very slim... will be too old then...

sad~~~ =(

Post by Guest » Wed, 17 Aug 2005 8:48 am

shawna wrote:does anyone know when is SIA recruiting cabin crew again?

feels like they aren't recruiting anymore.... been waiting for their opening...i am not young anymore, 27 years OLD... guess once 2005 ends, my chances of getting an interview with SIA is going to be very slim... will be too old then...

sad~~~ =(
Hi Shawna,

Dont give up! There are ladies at your age who are selected too. You never know if you never try. =)

vian

Re: When is the nxt recruitment for SIA cabin crew?Anyone kn

Post by vian » Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:13 am

Anonymous wrote:
sSsHaRoNn wrote:Sux know wat i juSt graduate fRm Singapore Poly. The cabin crew group has actually went to our school to give talks b4 i graduate and i send in my application from there. Then they actually email me back to go for the 1st interview but my Japan trip crush with the interview date see how unlucky i'm therefore i didn't went. And when i came back frm Japan i email back to them to ask whether i can can for interview on the nxt round but they nv reply sO i juSt dun care lol! But now i'm currently working at Panasonic Avionics Corporation doing airplane entertainment system and i saw alot of my frens who is not reli pretty get into JAL and SIA alamak make me feel so wasted lolz!! Therefore i wish to go for aninterview again but i don't know if they r recruiting currently... Anybody can help??=) I will appreciate it!=p
if u just read from previous posts...u will find beauty is not really a factor in SIA...... but glad that u have the confidence in yrself.... :D
alas! confidence is the difficult one!! how can one be ever confident when one sees so MANY girls during the interview? tough..., it like going for an audition for Miss Universe, all prim & proper... unless u can fake it, but i guess there's no point. :?

Pinkmonster

Many questions

Post by Pinkmonster » Wed, 17 Aug 2005 1:40 pm

Hi there everybody, Im currently 22 doing my last year in school before graduating. Am very interested in joining the cabin crew with SIA.
It would be my first job if everything goes on VERY smoothly. But I am wondering about the job opportunities after the bond? 3 years, i heard? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Is the job of a cabin crew actually seen as a professional job or is it seen as just a 'high class waitress' (as seen by the general public)? In another words, will it actually enhance my resume for future interviews? No offence please, I am really ignorant in this field of work.

Is it common for one to remain as a cabin crew member for a really long period of time or do many people actually switch jobs after their bond in SIA is up? Please help. Thanks a lot!!

Guest44

Re: Many questions

Post by Guest44 » Wed, 17 Aug 2005 2:49 pm

Pinkmonster wrote:Hi there everybody, Im currently 22 doing my last year in school before graduating. Am very interested in joining the cabin crew with SIA.
It would be my first job if everything goes on VERY smoothly. But I am wondering about the job opportunities after the bond? 3 years, i heard? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Is the job of a cabin crew actually seen as a professional job or is it seen as just a 'high class waitress' (as seen by the general public)? In another words, will it actually enhance my resume for future interviews? No offence please, I am really ignorant in this field of work.

Is it common for one to remain as a cabin crew member for a really long period of time or do many people actually switch jobs after their bond in SIA is up? Please help. Thanks a lot!!
Hi Pinkmonster,

The bond for cabin crew is abt 18mths, after which u can resign w/o having to pay the bond. The contract is 5-year, renewable subject to mgt and ur performance.

From my point of view, cabin crew is not considered a professional job (if u're talking abt doctors, accountants, engineers, lawyers, pilots). Therefore if u intend to embark on a career related to ur field of studies, then the experience gained as cabin crew may not be relevant. However, cabin crew DO have CRM skills. These skills would be useful in service/ sales sectors, hospitality lines, PR lines etc. Coz u know how to present urself in front of people, are well-groomed and has a good knowledge of food and wine and culture of different countries.

Usually cabin crew with higher qualifications tend to have a short stint as cabin crew.. UNLESS they like the job very much. Most will either save $$ to further studies, or to start their own business. Perhaps those of not so high qualifications will stay; as the remuneration they get from SIA is much more attractive than outside (with their qualifications).

There are some who resigned after marriage or become mothers, as time spent nuturing kinds are more impt to them.

Having said that, its up to u what ur present priorities are.... Good luck... :)

reena

okies

Post by reena » Wed, 17 Aug 2005 10:10 pm

hi FAWANNABE...sure i will update you..i heared 18th Sept but not confirmed..in pan pac jb...how come didnt make it throught the finals...haiyahhh..anyways hope we will get to go together...see ya... :idea:

Hiya

SIA

Post by Hiya » Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:11 pm

Reena,
What interview is to be held on 18 Sept ? In Pan Pacific Hotel in Johor ?

pinkmonster

Post by pinkmonster » Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:41 pm

Hey there guest 44, thanks for the advice! I'll think hard abt it!! :)

sugarhoneygal

Post by sugarhoneygal » Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:58 pm

May i ask a question...are those with facial moles usually...like not chosen?Like they don't wanna pick people with moles on face?Are such people 'condemn'?

tinkerbelle

Re: sia interview

Post by tinkerbelle » Thu, 18 Aug 2005 10:11 am

Anonymous wrote:
tinkerbelle wrote:
Anonymous wrote: hi! dun despair because actually i didnt speak well on that day too. jus that i think i made alot of eye contact with the panel, and fellow interviewees. or mayb its jus pure luck. btw my iterview was at 10 am.

i'm not sure whether i should go for the coming silkair, because i really want to join SIA. for the experience i dun mind, but i find its a bit unfair if i jus go with no intention of joining silkair, it might juz rob other candidates of the chance.
whoa!! u're one hell of a confident pax arent u.. "rob others of a chance".. so sure u'll get the job eh?! well.. if u want my opinion.. i say u better dun go.. because ppl like u cant take "no" for an answer.. all come out broken, crushed, disappointed and hopeless.. oops.. im being mean..sorri, cant help it.. but i really do dislike ppl who dun know how to be humble..
I dun think he/she is being over confident or arrogant. Its actually so true. If you are not keen in getting the position then should just give others a chance. With one less interviewee there will be one more chance of getting selected.
If one gets in, one will get in no matter what. I admire u.. standing up for her like that but please lah people. Can be more tactful? Tact is also one attribute recruiters look for. Not trying to slam her for nothing.. but say smthing like "well if i go, i'll juz make others q for their turn longer" rather than "deprive others of a chance".. a bit cocky rite? :)

And overconfident people do come out feeling sad, devastated, bitter etc when not chosen. Ive seen gals who walk around, beating themselves up becos they've "never been rejected before"..not a pretty sight if u ask me.

Anyway, bear in mind that Silkair is not recruiting for "2nd best".. For those who cant get in SQ and trying for Silkair juz cos u tink their standard is lower.. think again. The latter might pick u, yes.. but not becos they set the bar lower.

tinkerbelle

Interview

Post by tinkerbelle » Thu, 18 Aug 2005 10:26 am

Hey, im truly sorry if i hurt anyone's feelings. I can be *really* critical at times. Its juz that most have a preconceived impression that Silkair takes all the "leftovers" from SQ. Maybe thats what irks me. Being rejected from SQ's interview duzzen guarantee one entrance to Silkair.

Thats probably the reason why im so irritated. No hard feelings. :)

curiousgirl

Re: okies

Post by curiousgirl » Thu, 18 Aug 2005 12:30 pm

reena wrote:hi FAWANNABE...sure i will update you..i heared 18th Sept but not confirmed..in pan pac jb...how come didnt make it throught the finals...haiyahhh..anyways hope we will get to go together...see ya... :idea:
Hi Reena,
I had went for the recent interview in sg, but didnt make it through, and was told to wait 6 mths. Do u think it will be alrite to go to that in jb n not waiting 6 mths? Thanks

reena

just try

Post by reena » Thu, 18 Aug 2005 2:06 pm

i went for kl emirates in august...no harm going againlah..i think...but chances of getting very low...dont know why cause...in kl 120 girls were chosen and only 10 got into finals...can u imagine the possibility..just wondering if singapore emirates interviews are always are packed???

curiousgirl

Re: just try

Post by curiousgirl » Thu, 18 Aug 2005 2:50 pm

reena wrote:i went for kl emirates in august...no harm going againlah..i think...but chances of getting very low...dont know why cause...in kl 120 girls were chosen and only 10 got into finals...can u imagine the possibility..just wondering if singapore emirates interviews are always are packed???
I was went for the one in sg. only abt 54 were selected and 8 got into the final. Just wondering if it is alrite to go for the interview somewhere else without waiting for the 6 mths? So what if u are selected, you would have to be in jb agn for the rest of the other interviews?