Singapore Expats

laptops

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
deb

laptops

Post by deb » Tue, 16 Aug 2005 11:19 am

HI!

which shops in Singapore offer the best prices for laptop computers and digital cameras? what are the price bands?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:38 pm

Funan IT mall is probably the best place to go, followed by Sim Lim Center/Square? - not Tower.

Funan is pretty much fixed price, no tricks. At Sim Lim you can probably do more bargaining but you better know what you are buying.

As for price range, you can pay from very little to a lot. For a little money you get slower processors, smaller disk, less memory, and more weight. For a lot of money, you get fast processors, lots of memory, big disks, built in wireless, and a small form factor and low weight. Acer, Dell, and "off brands" will be cheapest... IBM and Toshiba amongst the more expensive. I've got an IBM T42 and it is by far the best laptop I have ever owned.

jimmy

Price ranges of laptops in Singapore

Post by jimmy » Wed, 24 Aug 2005 9:47 pm

Hi Strong Eagle,
Just what range would be the lowest - average do these laptops cost?
Thanks,
JIm
Strong Eagle wrote:Funan IT mall is probably the best place to go, followed by Sim Lim Center/Square? - not Tower.

Funan is pretty much fixed price, no tricks. At Sim Lim you can probably do more bargaining but you better know what you are buying.

As for price range, you can pay from very little to a lot. For a little money you get slower processors, smaller disk, less memory, and more weight. For a lot of money, you get fast processors, lots of memory, big disks, built in wireless, and a small form factor and low weight. Acer, Dell, and "off brands" will be cheapest... IBM and Toshiba amongst the more expensive. I've got an IBM T42 and it is by far the best laptop I have ever owned.

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bremen » Thu, 25 Aug 2005 5:51 pm

Depends entirely on your needs... A new laptop can be as low as SGD 1200, but you're not going to get cutting-edge performance.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Post by riversandlakes » Thu, 25 Aug 2005 9:09 pm

where can i go for 2nd-hand laptops? i want to install linux on it...
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Post by Carpe Diem » Thu, 25 Aug 2005 9:20 pm

riversandlakes wrote:where can i go for 2nd-hand laptops? i want to install linux on it...
Sim Lim Square
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

Post by Guest » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:04 am

vrzone and hardwarezone forums.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:50 am

As the other poster noted, $1200 will get you going. I paid $2300 for a T42 with 80 gig and 512M of memory

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Post by riversandlakes » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 1:17 pm

how much can i expect? what's standard warranty period for 2nd-hand laptops? 1 month?
Carpe Diem wrote:
riversandlakes wrote:where can i go for 2nd-hand laptops? i want to install linux on it...
Sim Lim Square

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bremen » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 1:54 pm

riversandlakes wrote:how much can i expect? what's standard warranty period for 2nd-hand laptops? 1 month?
Depends on the laptop specs and the shop. Could be 400-800 SGD, warranty may be about 3 months.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Post by riversandlakes » Fri, 26 Aug 2005 5:55 pm

i can live with Pentium 512MHz, 128MB RAM and 6GB HDD...

will visit sim lim soon...
Bremen wrote:
riversandlakes wrote:how much can i expect? what's standard warranty period for 2nd-hand laptops? 1 month?
Depends on the laptop specs and the shop. Could be 400-800 SGD, warranty may be about 3 months.

cheapcaragent

Re: laptops

Post by cheapcaragent » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 3:49 pm

deb wrote:HI!

which shops in Singapore offer the best prices for laptop computers and digital cameras? what are the price bands?
i selling laptop. Less S$100 to S$500 demand on model.
All New!
Mostly all high end / gaming laptop.
Pm if u interested

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Re: laptops

Post by riversandlakes » Thu, 08 Sep 2005 5:30 pm

With all due respect, sir, i filter all ads that has the word "NEW" in them, simply because NEW will be overbudget for me, and pigs will start flying when I get a brand new laptop for $100?!

So let's do business with the understanding that I've researched adpost.com/sg, hardwarezone, google, here and various singaporean shops' websites. Just not had the time to drop by Funan IT mall or Sim Lim Square.

I'm looking for a Pentium 2, 128MB RAM and 8GB HDD. CD-ROM is a necessity and CD-RW unwanted...
Budget $150-300.

Any recommendations?
cheapcaragent wrote:
deb wrote:HI!

i selling laptop. Less S$100 to S$500 demand on model.
All New!
Mostly all high end / gaming laptop.
Pm if u interested

zhen1987

laptop

Post by zhen1987 » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 10:19 pm

Anyone know about laptop? which laptop is better can intro me. PLease write the price. THank.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 09 Sep 2005 11:24 pm

R&L, why do you want a notebook for linux? Wouldn't it be cheaper to get an old used desktop with faster specs for the same money?

If you already have a notebook, consider just buying a used Notebook HDD to slot in and out of you existing notebook. (Actually, I'm thinking of doing just that since I upgraded my HDD in my notebook. - Playing with the old hdd see just what linux is all about.)

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers