Singapore Expats

Ex Singapore PR - Need to Serve NS??

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
raventcl123

Ex Singapore PR - Need to Serve NS??

Post by raventcl123 » Sat, 12 Jun 2021 12:19 am

Hi, I obtained my Singapore PR a while ago but i left Singapore while my REP is still valid. Then after my REP expired, I got an Employment Pass (EP) to come back to work here. I considered to apply for PR again and ICA told me to just resubmit an application.

I know "first generation" PR will be exempted from National Service (NS). However, on the ICA website (https://www.ica.gov.sg/reside/PR/apply), I saw this: "Males who are granted Singapore PR, and who were previously Singapore Citizens or Singapore Permanent Residents, are liable to be called up for NS regardless of the scheme under which their PR status was granted."

So, my question is if I get back my PR back, am I really liable for NS? Anyone encountered or heard of this situation before?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Ex Singapore PR - Need to Serve NS??

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 12 Jun 2021 3:39 pm

Yep, it is true. Depending on your age, you will probably be called up, if for no other reason than to prove a point that they mean business. So better prepare yourself mentally ahead of time.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers