Singapore Expats

Newish HDB with Condo-like facilities

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Fri, 02 Dec 2011 3:01 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I'm actually Jurassic PC but the entire rest of the household is MAC. But as I have the router/modem in my office at home, when they get up my nose, I just remove their MAC addresses from the router for a while. I don't use WEP but use MAC address filtering instead. Poetic Justice?
Lol, I guess so ;)

Although, MAC Spoofing is simple enough, suppose it depends on their appetite and knowledge! ;)
nutnut

Search By

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 03 Dec 2011 10:53 pm

Cracking WEP keys and spoofing MAC addresses (plus the pre-requisite monitoring of traffic to see which MAC to steal) is pretty trivial. For all of the useful advise you give SMS, let me pass one piece back: Turn off WEP and MAC filtering, and enable WPA. Also, use a decent passphrase and change your SSID if you're using a default or common one.

The reason is there is a flaw in the WEP implementation that allows readily downloadable tools to break it in minutes or less. Doesn't matter if you're using 40bit or 128bit, or if your WEP key is "98910273489216474627346923694823" or "12345". With WPA, the only (current) possibility to break in is to guess your pass phrase. That takes some time.

And to everyone else, the computer is a Mac, not a "MAC". Thanks :D

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 03 Dec 2011 11:05 pm

Oh drats...you've just given SMS's mother-in-law ideas!

:roll:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Sat, 03 Dec 2011 11:39 pm

zzm9980 wrote:And to everyone else, the computer is a Mac, not a "MAC". Thanks :D
Same same! ;) :P :P I get confused with capitalisation since Apple like to put capitals in the middle of their product names ;) iPod, iMac, iPad.... Etc.

I shall be more careful in the future. I agree with your comments on wireless security anyway :) It was kind of what I was trying to say.

nutnut
nutnut

thismyvoice
Chatter
Chatter

Post by thismyvoice » Sat, 03 Dec 2011 11:48 pm

Back to the original question.

Has anyone visited Pinnacle@Duxton? It is a 50 storey HDB flat.

No pool, no gym but residents get to use a personal sky park. Great view and very close to CBD.

Not in the East Coast but near MRT.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 04 Dec 2011 6:25 am

I haven't been there yet, but it's on my list of touristy things to do when people visit.

In the context of this discussion though, it would be a useless option to discuss for the original poster. As it is brand new, it is only open to Singaporeans who (essentially) won the lottery and bought them new directly from HDB. None of them will be eligible for the resale market for at least five years. At that point, expect them to go for at least 2x-3x+ their original price from HDB, as no Singaporean would dare risk being left behind in maximizing their returns on their lotto winnings.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 04 Dec 2011 7:08 am

thismyvoice wrote:Back to the original question.

No pool, no gym but residents get to use a personal sky park. Great view and very close to CBD.

A friend of mine lives there. A standard of interiors (judging from his 3BR place) decent, views indeed very nice, common spaces dirty up to the HDB standard, rental comparable to the condos in the areas like far East Coast or West-Central (Bukit Batok, Upper Bukit Timah)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 04 Dec 2011 8:35 am

x9200 wrote:rental comparable to the condos in the areas like far East Coast or West-Central (Bukit Batok, Upper Bukit Timah)
Can they legally rent yet? Or are they just subletting rooms?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 04 Dec 2011 9:21 am

Frankly no idea. I will ask my friend when I meat him how it was arrange.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sun, 04 Dec 2011 11:46 am

there're exceptions to the "5-year no rental" rule:

if the owner(s) owns/rents an HDB shophouse with living quarters

if the owner(s) is posted overseas

sub-letting of room(s) - one must be kept for the owner's use

if i'm not wrong, with the exception of the first, the clock keeps ticking.

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Sun, 04 Dec 2011 3:29 pm

taxico wrote:sub-letting of room(s) - one must be kept for the owner's use
Lock one room is illegal.
Owner need to stay in that unit if the owner does not meet the requirement or get approval to rent out the whole unit.

If caught by HDB, owner either get fine heavily OR HDB will take back the unit and pay the owner a price which is lower than the actual price he bought for this unit. (Read in the newspaper but can't remember the percentage)

Regardless what, for renting the whole unit. The owner MUST get the HDB approval.
Ask for the approval letter if you want to rent the whole unit.

thismyvoice
Chatter
Chatter

Post by thismyvoice » Mon, 05 Dec 2011 11:53 pm

Yes, owners need to get HDB approval if they intend to rent out the unit. I understand they usually agree if the owner is posted overseas.

It is a big development and there should be a few units available for rental every now and then. I am talking about the entire unit and not just subletting rooms. You can always check the usual few property websites.

I have friends staying there. It is nice enough though the apartments tend to be smaller in size.

evehow

Post by evehow » Wed, 07 Dec 2011 12:55 pm

x9200 wrote:
thismyvoice wrote:Back to the original question.

A friend of mine lives there. A standard of interiors (judging from his 3BR place) decent, views indeed very nice, common spaces dirty up to the HDB standard, rental comparable to the condos in the areas like far East Coast or West-Central (Bukit Batok, Upper Bukit Timah)
If your friend is renting the entire apartment, it's likely to be illegal subletting. It depends on whether or not the owner has fulfilled the 5-year minimum occupation period.

If the authorities gets a tip-off, they will investigate. The tenant will have to move and some flats have been confiscated for this.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 07 Dec 2011 4:43 pm

evehow wrote:If your friend is renting the entire apartment, it's likely to be illegal subletting. It depends on whether or not the owner has fulfilled the 5-year minimum occupation period.
Or as mentioned the owner is abroad and got the permission to rent. 5-y period is not possible in this case.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 07 Dec 2011 4:48 pm

evehow wrote: If your friend is renting the entire apartment, it's likely to be illegal subletting. It depends on whether or not the owner has fulfilled the 5-year minimum occupation period.
Not true.

See Thisismyvoice's comment re: permission to let if the owner is posted abroad.