Singapore Expats Forum

Great Neighbourhoods for living with a big dog?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
nn27

Great Neighbourhoods for living with a big dog?

Post by nn27 » Sat, 04 Oct 2008 4:43 pm

I am looking at relocating, and was wondering if any one has any good advice of great areas in Singapore to live with a big dog (a Great dane)? I have been doing a lot of research, but I'm still confused with the districts. I know Holland Village is quite appealing for people with dogs, but seems quite pricey for a house ($20,000+ per month)! I don't mind being a bit outside of the main areas... I'd actually prefer it. So, what districts/areas does anyone recommed?

Thanks so much!

nn

Singapore Property Search

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 04 Oct 2008 10:27 pm

No offense intended but if I'm so sick and tired of barking dogs, all I can say, is "far away from me". I'm thinking about straight pipes on my motorcycle, just so they can appreciate noise... like the crap I have to put up with from their worthless beasts. I'm seriously considering bringing back a 4 foot alligator next trip... food for the gator... no more barking rat.

nn27

Post by nn27 » Mon, 06 Oct 2008 2:11 pm

Ouch! That's a little harsh, but I understand how you may feel... I don't like yappy dogs either. Shows that the owner is not the 'master' in the relationship, and that they do not have control over their dog. Seems like the little dogs are more common here than the big dogs. My dog is very friendly (to a fault), but being the size that he is, people may be scared without knowing him, which is why I would prefer to limit my search for a place that is more "dog-friendly".

So, for people that don't have barking dogs (like mine - he rarely ever barks, the most he does is a low growl to let me know somebody is coming or on our property), does anyone have an answer to the question??

pinpon

Post by pinpon » Mon, 13 Oct 2008 12:05 pm

You may want to check out the Yio Chu Kang landed property area, the neighbourhood there is pretty dog-friendly.

nn27

Post by nn27 » Thu, 16 Oct 2008 8:19 am

thanks, I will check out that area.

alanwisley
Regular
Regular

Post by alanwisley » Sat, 18 Oct 2008 9:53 am

check out the east coast area where you can even bring your dog for a jog by the beach..........

sundaymorningstaple

!!

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 18 Oct 2008 11:49 pm

alanwisley wrote:check out the east coast area where you can even bring your dog for a jog by the beach..........
As long as it's leashed and muzzled! :cry:

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Post by micknlea » Sun, 19 Oct 2008 10:31 pm

Great Danes do not have to be muzzled SMS, they are not one of the listed breeds that require it by the AVA. They do have to be leashed* though, as do all other breeds, including chihuahuas... :wink:

*except in the parks nominated as leash free.
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

nn27

Post by nn27 » Sun, 19 Oct 2008 11:38 pm

Is there a list of leash free parks in Singapore? (link to a website or post somewhere?) it would be nice to let him play with other dogs once in a while...

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Post by micknlea » Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:51 am

There is this article in Time Out that lists them...

http://www.timeoutsingapore.com/aroundt ... n-spot-run

I only knew of the ones at Bishan and West Coast but it seems if you look and search around there are a few more.

Have fun.
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

nn27

Post by nn27 » Thu, 23 Oct 2008 4:09 am

That's a great list, thanks!

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Thu, 23 Oct 2008 4:51 am

pinpon wrote:You may want to check out the Yio Chu Kang landed property area, the neighbourhood there is pretty dog-friendly.
i'm surprised yio chu kang was suggested coz it sounds so far flung!

but i too think it's is a great area coz there're open spaces/parks within most YCK estates and many dog owners (sad to say, most are cared for by house helps).

the only downside is the commute into the city during peak hours; ERP toll rates are wickedly expensive! but it's a nice quiet green lush place. shhh! :wink:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Oct 2008 1:56 pm

I've lived in the YCK area for 25 years. I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm 10 minutes from Serangoon North MRT, 15 minutes from AMK MRT,
Spent 15 years in Selatar Airbase and 10 years in Serangoon Nth. I also had large dogs up to about 4 years ago when the last one died of a stroke after 14 years. Still haven't been able to replace her. Course I'm an ole farmboy so don't cotton too much to downtown.