Singapore Expats

Need advise for issues to get a place to rent

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
crescentl

Need advise for issues to get a place to rent

Post by crescentl » Tue, 15 Feb 2022 2:42 am

Hi all,

We are relocating to Singapore (with pets) and have been reading up the posts here which are really good advices. However, we are constantly met with roadblocks with agents not willing to change their boilerplate agreements which are pro landlords. This includes ridiculous LOI that is similar to viewtopic.php?f=91&t=123244&p=789541&hi ... nt#p789541 .

We are not trying to make the most bang for our bucks but simply looking for a fair contract and it has proven to be hard. Any advices would be appreciated, thanks!

Search By

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Need advise for issues to get a place to rent

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 15 Feb 2022 9:49 am

You could skip the LOI altogether, the LOI puts you at risk not the LL. If you're serious about renting a place then execute a TA (but check all the clauses prior to signing). I've never used the LOI process and a LL who is serious to rent doesn't need one if you're prepared to execute a TA ASAP.

The other technique is to use an agent to act on your behalf. It might cost a bit more in commissions but they may be better at negotiating.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 15 Feb 2022 9:52 am

Also - do NOT rent sight unseen. There are far too many issues to check out which can only be done in person. Particularly around noise, damage that is not noted on your move in report and cleanliness.

crescentl

Post by crescentl » Tue, 15 Feb 2022 12:28 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 15 Feb 2022 9:52 am
Also - do NOT rent sight unseen. There are far too many issues to check out which can only be done in person. Particularly around noise, damage that is not noted on your move in report and cleanliness.
Thanks, we have decided to use a tenant agent.
I agree regarding rent sight unseen, unfortunately we are unable to view in person because we are hoping to move in directly as we land. Thus we are viewing just from virtual tour or video on the unit and asking our Singapore friend advices on the area.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 15 Feb 2022 2:48 pm

Don't move in direct. Rent a Serviced Apartment for a week. Set up 4 viewings a day and sign on the 5th day. Move in on 6th / 7th.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 15 Feb 2022 6:44 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 15 Feb 2022 2:48 pm
Don't move in direct. Rent a Serviced Apartment for a week. Set up 4 viewings a day and sign on the 5th day. Move in on 6th / 7th.

^^^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^^
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

crescentl

Post by crescentl » Thu, 17 Feb 2022 6:32 am

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 15 Feb 2022 2:48 pm
Thanks for the link!! I will check it out

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 17 Feb 2022 11:03 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Yes, this is so important. Heard horror stories about tenants falling in love with a place online and moving in blind. By the time they move in and realize reality doesn’t match up to expectations, it’s too late and they’re locked into a 2 year lease.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 17 Feb 2022 11:05 pm

crescentl wrote:
Tue, 15 Feb 2022 12:28 pm
PNGMK wrote:
Thanks, we have decided to use a tenant agent.
I agree regarding rent sight unseen, unfortunately we are unable to view in person because we are hoping to move in directly as we land. Thus we are viewing just from virtual tour or video on the unit and asking our Singapore friend advices on the area.
Virtual tours are much better than just relying on pics, but I would still strongly suggest you take the steps to view in person. Important to envision yourself living there - observe the noise level, amount of natural light etc. All these are things that can’t be observed otherwise.