Singapore Expats

Skypark vs Marq vs Ardmore (or other 4BR buildings in $15-25k budget)

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
nyctosgp

Skypark vs Marq vs Ardmore (or other 4BR buildings in $15-25k budget)

Post by nyctosgp » Tue, 15 Jun 2021 3:12 am

Hi all,

Heading over with my wife and two young children (1 and 3) in two months.

Any reason that Marq and Ardmore are so much more than Skypark (or Oliv)?

The duplex unit at Skypark actually looks much nicer to me than the other 4 bedrooms, which are smaller.

It also seems like a closer walk to the nearest Metro station.

What am I missing?

Any general feedback on those buildings? Particularly Skypark?

Any other buildings we should consider?

Thanks for any insights!

Search By

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Skypark vs Marq vs Ardmore (or other 4BR buildings in $15-25k budget)

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 15 Jun 2021 9:40 am

Sorry no feedback, you may have to visit the locations. Direction of the rising/setting sun, road noise and estate condition can be big hidden factors that are not apparent online.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Audsgd

Post by Audsgd » Tue, 15 Jun 2021 10:40 am

Hi, I've actually seen all 3. The Marq and Admore are near Orchard MRT and Sky Park is near Somerset MRT.

In terms of distance the Marq is probably closest to MRT followed by Admore then skypark. Skypark you need to walk a loop along St Thomas. Their is a new MRT station Havelock being constructed that is a little closer.

Prestige location and condo quality the Marq is the best, followed closely by Admore. Then a bit of gap to sky park.

Sky park was nice but significant amount of living area is outdoor balconies and decks. Depending on your preference of course however due to Singapore's hot and humid and wet climate. Internal living space is worth much more than external living areas and this reflects in the pricing. So even though sky park is very large PSF it also has a loft level layout and they count the air into PSF so it may not be as large as it seems in comparison. You should check the internal living space and good layouts and compare rental price for that.

Need to looks at the facilities and grounds aswell. Sky Park was average and a little run down. Small land space. In comparison to the other 2 areas.

The Marq also has private balcony lap pool is you decide to choose that condo layout configuration. Great for your kids and family.

For a $15k budget, I would rank Marq, then Admore then Skypark distant 3rd.

From memory, I don't recall Skypark being that high a rental, should be closer to 10k to 12k negotiated.

Anyway, just my personal opinion, but I wouldn't worry, $15k budget is a fantastic budget that will give you plenty of options.

Maybe other considerations around $15k:
- Orchard residences above Ion Orchard and Orchard MRT
- cliveden on grange (but a bit far walk to MRT)
- Ritz Carlton on Cairnhill rd orchard.

Best have you property agent take you around to look at all.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N9860 using Tapatalk

nyctosgp

Post by nyctosgp » Wed, 16 Jun 2021 1:27 am

Extremely helpful, @Audsgd

Issue is we need to decide via facetime from the US, given move in timings.

We are working with a buyer's property agent, though.

Surprised to hear that Skypark is such a distant 3rd.

Unit wise, it seems more impressive to me from pics and videos.

Building/amenities wise, though, it does look like Marq and Ardmore are much nicer.

Audsgd

Post by Audsgd » Wed, 16 Jun 2021 2:19 am

Just noticed your budget is upto $25k per month. If this is a company expat budget that you can utilise then I would be trying to maximize the value and quality.

Sky Park is great but a level below I think for your budget quality. You could even get huge penthouses for $25k which are >3000sqft.

Here are a few tips:
- SG is very transparent with historical rental prices. You can look them up online.
https://www...com.sg/listing ... k-somerset

You can use . as an example. Sky Park as you can see last 4 bed rental Mar 2021 was on $11k. So my guess was roughly right. You can negotiate.

- high floors better, ideally don't face West coz it's really hot

- make sure your agent also takes video of the facilities and grounds. Your kids and wife will love the space and pool and play grounds. E.g. if I recall sky park grounds were only average to small size; Marq is massive; orchard residences is like resort like huge pool. It ontop of a huge upmarket shopping mall called Ion Orchard.

- have reasonable views not too much or any blocking

- don't face noisy roads

- most importantly, don't face construction sites of have bad construction noise And believe there are plenty.

FYI I live in the area and it's great. Family loves it.

Good luck!

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Wed, 16 Jun 2021 3:20 am

Audsgd wrote:
Wed, 16 Jun 2021 2:19 am
Your kids and wife will love the space...
THIS! I had a friend in Singapore who was a rental agent. She handled mostly expats.

Her comment to the man (usually the one with the job offer) was, "Look, you're getting on an airplane Monday morning for work, flying all over Asia, and coming back Friday night. Do you want to come home to a happy wife or a pissed off wife?"

Her point was/is that the person who will have the most day to day time in your new home is the one that really needs to like it the most. A wife not happy with the accommodations, because you chose them because you like them, will be a handful.

Jes' sayin'...

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 16 Jun 2021 4:10 am

Audsgd wrote:
Tue, 15 Jun 2021 10:40 am
Hi, I've actually seen all 3. The Marq and Admore are near Orchard MRT and Sky Park is near Somerset MRT.

In terms of distance the Marq is probably closest to MRT followed by Admore then skypark. Skypark you need to walk a loop along St Thomas. Their is a new MRT station Havelock being constructed that is a little closer.

Prestige location and condo quality the Marq is the best, followed closely by Admore. Then a bit of gap to sky park.

Sky park was nice but significant amount of living area is outdoor balconies and decks. Depending on your preference of course however due to Singapore's hot and humid and wet climate. Internal living space is worth much more than external living areas and this reflects in the pricing. So even though sky park is very large PSF it also has a loft level layout and they count the air into PSF so it may not be as large as it seems in comparison. You should check the internal living space and good layouts and compare rental price for that.

Need to looks at the facilities and grounds aswell. Sky Park was average and a little run down. Small land space. In comparison to the other 2 areas.

The Marq also has private balcony lap pool is you decide to choose that condo layout configuration. Great for your kids and family.

From memory, I don't recall Skypark being that high a rental, should be closer to 10k to 12k negotiated.

Anyway, just my personal opinion, but I wouldn't worry, $15k budget is a fantastic budget that will give you plenty of options.

Hope this helps.

I would have thought Ardmore was the most prestigious.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 16 Jun 2021 4:11 am

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Wed, 16 Jun 2021 3:20 am
Audsgd wrote:
Wed, 16 Jun 2021 2:19 am
Your kids and wife will love the space...
THIS! I had a friend in Singapore who was a rental agent. She handled mostly expats.

Her comment to the man (usually the one with the job offer) was, "Look, you're getting on an airplane Monday morning for work, flying all over Asia, and coming back Friday night. Do you want to come home to a happy wife or a pissed off wife?"

Her point was/is that the person who will have the most day to day time in your new home is the one that really needs to like it the most. A wife not happy with the accommodations, because you chose them because you like them, will be a handful.

Jes' sayin'...
Very well put. The person who’s opinion is most important is the one who will be spending the most time in the home.

nyctosgp

Post by nyctosgp » Wed, 16 Jun 2021 6:32 am

This forum is incredibly helpful, grateful for its existence and your advice!

Actually, I'll be working from home as well, so we will spend an undue amount of time in the apartment.

We will add Orchard Residences to the list, seems like there are a couple nice high floor 4 beds for rent at the moment.

Love the location - right in the middle of things, for the wife and kids to go downstairs and not have to wait 10-15 minutes to do anything.

Any other buildings to consider?

Audsgd

Post by Audsgd » Wed, 16 Jun 2021 9:52 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Audsgd wrote:
Tue, 15 Jun 2021 10:40 am

Hope this helps.

I would have thought Ardmore was the most prestigious.
Possibly right, Ardmore enclave area is definitely up there no doubt about it. Pricing per $PSF could probably averages most expensive. The variable is going by specific condos developments. And then the condo itself.

OP has good selection of choices with that budget. Perhaps some people can suggest some good high end large new condos in Admore, Claymore, Nassim rd area.

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Wed, 16 Jun 2021 10:16 am

A thought: For that kind of dinero you can rent a mighty fine semi-D or even a single landed home.

I rented in Watten Estates... had a great semi-D with a small yard, excellent house. And Watten Estates is a very nice neighborhood with parks and great eating places on Greenwood Ave.

My primary contract boss also had a home... a seriously large single landed home... fabulous, actually, with pool, tennis courts, and an inside layout that was just hard to beat. He was paying (his company was) $16K a few years ago... don't know what values have changed these days... lower, I'd think.

True that you lack the amenities of a condo, and can find similar with a club... American Club, British Club, etc.

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Wed, 16 Jun 2021 11:04 am

To be honest, for that kind of budget, I would be seriously looking at renting one of those beautiful colonial black and white bungalows. There are quite a few that are very centrally located and many come with a swimming pool in their garden. I don't think I'm allowed to put a link here but if you google "back and white rental Singapore" you should be able to find the relevant portal. The downside is, they come unfurnished so you'll have to plan around that. It would be worth checking out though.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 19 Jun 2021 5:55 pm

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Wed, 16 Jun 2021 10:16 am
A thought: For that kind of dinero you can rent a mighty fine semi-D or even a single landed home.

I rented in Watten Estates... had a great semi-D with a small yard, excellent house. And Watten Estates is a very nice neighborhood with parks and great eating places on Greenwood Ave.

My primary contract boss also had a home... a seriously large single landed home... fabulous, actually, with pool, tennis courts, and an inside layout that was just hard to beat. He was paying (his company was) $16K a few years ago... don't know what values have changed these days... lower, I'd think.

True that you lack the amenities of a condo, and can find similar with a club... American Club, British Club, etc.
Actually completely agree. With that type of budget, very few places are out of the questions. I’ve seen the houses in Watten estate, beautiful and a lovely surrounding neighborhood. Pretty private as well. And if OP is planning to be here for a longer time, a club membership may not be a bad idea. For me though, I think a house with a pool would be more than enough.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 19 Jun 2021 6:00 pm

nyctosgp wrote:
Wed, 16 Jun 2021 6:32 am
This forum is incredibly helpful, grateful for its existence and your advice!

Actually, I'll be working from home as well, so we will spend an undue amount of time in the apartment.

We will add Orchard Residences to the list, seems like there are a couple nice high floor 4 beds for rent at the moment.

Love the location - right in the middle of things, for the wife and kids to go downstairs and not have to wait 10-15 minutes to do anything.

Any other buildings to consider?
Like a couple other members have suggested, perhaps you can consider a landed property as well. Your budget, quite frankly will be able to get you almost anything you’d like. A landed house would offer a lot more land and a lot more space to roam around which is important especially if you’re going to be at home all day; you don’t want to feel like you’re cooped up.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 19 Jun 2021 6:06 pm

Addadude wrote:
Wed, 16 Jun 2021 11:04 am
To be honest, for that kind of budget, I would be seriously looking at renting one of those beautiful colonial black and white bungalows. There are quite a few that are very centrally located and many come with a swimming pool in their garden. I don't think I'm allowed to put a link here but if you google "back and white rental Singapore" you should be able to find the relevant portal. The downside is, they come unfurnished so you'll have to plan around that. It would be worth checking out though.
I almost forgot about the black and whites! Those are gorgeous, very unique and almost always surrounded by lovely nature. One of my close friends stays in one, but it’s very out-of-the-way, in the Changi area. Really nice.