Landlord is telling to vacate within short period of moving in: taking advantage of medical condition

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
rockstargirl

Landlord is telling to vacate within short period of moving in: taking advantage of medical condition

Post by rockstargirl » Sat, 07 May 2022 1:17 am

Hi Everyone,

Facing an issue and wanted some advice. I made an agreement in month of February to start lease in march. Once I moved in, landlord came to know about medical issue which limits my ability to walk recently. She moved out her maid from the house before I moved in, agreement was done in presence of agent on condition that I can use kitchen for light cooking and they will also let me use living room for sitting sometimes.

Yesterday, Landlord stormed to house without notice, when my interview call was ongoing and started banging the door to come in. After coming in, She just blew up seeing me sitting in living room with my laptop and since house has renovation going upstairs, I wasn't able to take call due to noise in my room.

She started shouting nasty words to me out of blue, threatened me literally and took images of all my belongings even in my room. When confronted, she said she sent it to agent and give me notice to vacate within a month because I failed to throw dry trash which was in my kitchen dustbin and said the house looked "Filthy" and I wasn't supposed to sit in living room. I made a voice recording of the part where she made baseless allegations even on my character at a point in time. I asked agent about clarity on terms because it stated termination only after 6 months, and landlord again threatened me to bring authorities in because she has all "pictures".

What looks like to me is, She is just trying to take advantage of the condition I am in and knows I can not move to other place given my medical issue. Is there any official procedure I can appeal against this notice to vacate?

Singapore Property Search

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: Landlord is telling to vacate within short period of moving in: taking advantage of medical condition

Post by abbby » Sat, 07 May 2022 11:14 am

I don't think there's much you can do..it can be any excuse the owner can cook up but at the end of the day it's her place and it's co-living together. Better to move with such landlord, i mean can you bear to live in another 1-2 years with her attitude and behaviour? I think you should consider finding an alternative housing and try to get back your deposit.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

rockstargirl

Re: Landlord is telling to vacate within short period of moving in: taking advantage of medical condition

Post by rockstargirl » Sat, 07 May 2022 6:10 pm

Thanks abby, Even I am thinking that is the only short term solution. I would rather pay few more bucks if I am getting peace of mind.

What concerns me is in some way it looked like someone from my past office was keeping a watch over me because within 4 months I have been told to vacate two places under mysterious circumstances.

Second possibility is just rise in rents so landlords and agents are trying to cash on as much as they can make for lost income during covid.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 07 May 2022 7:20 pm

If the TA says you can use the stting room and you're listed as an occupant with HDB just threaten to call the police. Tell them you are in fear for your safety due to the LL's verbal abuse and physical movements and that you are ill or disabled and cannot defend yourself.

The gahmen is keeping a dam good eye on these shysters and I think the cops have been told to give errant landlords one tight slap (warning).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

rockstargirl

Post by rockstargirl » Tue, 14 Jun 2022 1:15 am

For closure, I vacated the premise with help of my family member. Neighbors advised me that this was an attempt to bully and I am quite sure this was doings of HR from my ex-company to harass and threaten me so that they can interrupt my job search process. Will see how to deal with this, or will let karma do the rest.

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Fri, 17 Jun 2022 10:30 am

rockstargirl,

Good to know you've left that house. Good to move on to a better place.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Lisafuller
Manager
Manager

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 20 Jun 2022 11:36 pm

rockstargirl wrote:
Tue, 14 Jun 2022 1:15 am
For closure, I vacated the premise with help of my family member. Neighbors advised me that this was an attempt to bully and I am quite sure this was doings of HR from my ex-company to harass and threaten me so that they can interrupt my job search process. Will see how to deal with this, or will let karma do the rest.
Very relieved for you. Was about to say that in cases like these, even if there is some thing you can do like reporting to the police, it would be better off to have nothing to do with such a landlord because it all boils down to a character issue. Even if this matter was resolved she would find other ways to make life a living hell for you.

Lisafuller
Manager
Manager

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 20 Jun 2022 11:37 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Sat, 07 May 2022 7:20 pm
If the TA says you can use the stting room and you're listed as an occupant with HDB just threaten to call the police. Tell them you are in fear for your safety due to the LL's verbal abuse and physical movements and that you are ill or disabled and cannot defend yourself.

The gahmen is keeping a dam good eye on these shysters and I think the cops have been told to give errant landlords one tight slap (warning).
I tend to notice that the police don’t do very much and mostly say things are out of their control. Do they really side with the tenants in your experience?