Singapore Expats

Tenancy agreements/leases and your rights as a tenant

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Tenancy agreements/leases and your rights as a tenant

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 26 Jun 2021 9:53 am

There is probably a belief on their part that you damaged it. If you were not at home and can find a way to prove this (via entry records maybe or your google timeline) compose a letter to them and state why you are ignoring their claim. They will attempt to deduct it from the deposit so keep this on hand for the SCT if you need to sue them.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Search By

Elle.Dee

Post by Elle.Dee » Sat, 26 Jun 2021 10:53 am

Thank you for your response!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 26 Jun 2021 11:12 am

Ensure you deny that you deliberately, maliciously or accidentally broke the panel in writing.

Amethyst 734

Post by Amethyst 734 » Fri, 01 Oct 2021 7:03 pm

Moved to The Garden by Bishan 3 months ago. That was when the nightmare started.
Not allowed to have 2 car responders despite wrote in to appeal. The whole basement carpark visitor lots were always empty. Even on raining days or when I had loads of things in the car to unload,always have issues with the guards. Said it's the management decision. Couldn't they be flexible? Especially when I was recovering from my leg injury. Went to the management today to speak to the manager Mr Phua. Was told by the lady staff he was out to settled a dispute. The lady was friendly and patient. When Mr Phua came back,I offered to let him settle down before I speak to him about the carpark issue. But guess what I get from him? Before i could fill him with details, he simply says No. A flat No without listening. And when I asked how many cars can a owner unit gets? His reply was I will not answer your question. You are not a owner.
So excuse me,we tenant pay rental and that will shortchange u in anyway ? His attitude simply put me off.
Anyone renting or owns a unit here ?

Swn4
Regular
Regular

Tenancy agreements/leases and your rights as a tenant

Post by Swn4 » Sat, 02 Oct 2021 7:06 pm

I sold my house earlier this year and am now renting a condo. Due to a bad experience from 20 years ago(resident became abusive to MA when his helper was not allowed to participate in the monthly ballot for 2nd car park lot), I made sure to specify 2nd car park lot as a requirement to my agent.
And I made sure to checking the T&C for 2nd car park lot with the MA before signing the rental lease agreement.
I did cross one condo off my list because the common facilities maintenance was poor even though the unit looked very nice inside. Talking to the listing agent, I found out the owner was sitting on a $2 million loss (bought just before Lehman) on the apartment so no surprise that maintenance of common areas is not great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amethyst 734

Post by Amethyst 734 » Sun, 17 Oct 2021 3:47 pm

Glad if u did get the second lot. It is extremely inconvenient especially on raining days.

Swn4
Regular
Regular

Post by Swn4 » Sun, 17 Oct 2021 4:06 pm

Amethyst 734 wrote:Glad if u did get the second lot. It is extremely inconvenient especially on raining days.
I did - not in the basement car park but in a sheltered lot within the condo grounds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 19 Oct 2021 7:59 am

2nd Car lots are very contentious issues at the MC meetings I've been too. We generally never allow it as if we do we will run out of car parks. There is no reasonable way to hand out any excess lots. Furthermore the title for apartments does not usually include a car park lot.

Where we are there are 65 lots and 65 units and a few visitor slots. Even if someone doesn't have a car we would rather their slot be left empty than have a second car in it.

Tenants have absolutely no say in this as the car parks are common property and not the property of the owners.

Amethyst 734

Post by Amethyst 734 » Tue, 02 Nov 2021 10:39 am

Tenants should be informed if there's no second carpark lot allocated. Garden at bishan basement carpark is always empty. With so many empty vistor lots,yet tenants cant do with second car parking and not even on raining days. So the management should make it clear and agents marketing it should highlighted to tenants. Maybe those wanted to rent a unit at Garden at Bishan should give it a second thought. It is very inconvenient and when u have extended family visiting, carpark lot is always an issue. Especially on weekends.
Thank you for your reply.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 02 Nov 2021 10:44 am

Amethyst 734 wrote:
Tue, 02 Nov 2021 10:39 am
Tenants should be informed if there's no second carpark lot allocated. Garden at bishan basement carpark is always empty. With so many empty vistor lots,yet tenants cant do with second car parking and not even on raining days. So the management should make it clear and agents marketing it should highlighted to tenants. Maybe those wanted to rent a unit at Garden at Bishan should give it a second thought. It is very inconvenient and when u have extended family visiting, carpark lot is always an issue. Especially on weekends.
Do your own due diligence. Caveat Emptor.

This is a common issue. AFAIK there are no condos that have dual parking bays (or they are very uncommon) and the standard MC practice is to be very careful about allowing unused or guest bays to be used on a regular basis so as not to create a precedent.

Amethyst 734

Post by Amethyst 734 » Tue, 02 Nov 2021 10:49 am

Swn4 wrote:
Sun, 17 Oct 2021 4:06 pm
Amethyst 734 wrote:Glad if u did get the second lot. It is extremely inconvenient especially on raining days.
I did - not in the basement car park but in a sheltered lot within the condo grounds.

At least u have a sheltered lot. I emailed to the management,feedback about the unpleasant experience I had with the condo manager. No reply from them at all. I supposed they see tenants as transparent and need not respond to any feedback. I would definitely not renew my lease and not recommend anyone to rent a unit there (garden at bishan)

Amethyst 734

Post by Amethyst 734 » Tue, 02 Nov 2021 10:57 am

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 02 Nov 2021 10:44 am
Amethyst 734 wrote:

This is a common issue. AFAIK there are no condos that have dual parking bays (or they are very uncommon) and the standard MC practice is to be very careful about allowing unused or guest bays to be used on a regular basis so as not to create a precedent.

Should have case by case assessment or at least on a raining day with a leg injury tenant requested to go into the basement carpark for that particular day wasn't a very much difficult request to obliged. And yet with bad attitude from the condo manager. Simply ignored my question. Even if I m a tenant,should be treated with basic respect. Or maybe they should highlighted to owners,dont rent out your units. Because at Garden at Bishan,only the owners will be treated with respect.

Amethyst 734

Post by Amethyst 734 » Tue, 02 Nov 2021 10:57 am

PNGMK wrote:
Amethyst 734 wrote:

Should have case by case assessment or at least on a raining day with a leg injury tenant requested to go into the basement carpark for that particular day wasn't a very much difficult request to obliged. And yet with bad attitude from the condo manager. Simply ignored my question. Even if I m a tenant,should be treated with basic respect. Or maybe they should highlighted to owners,dont rent out your units. Because at Garden at Bishan,only the owners will be treated with respect.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 02 Nov 2021 1:24 pm

Amethyst 734 wrote:
Tue, 02 Nov 2021 10:57 am
PNGMK wrote:
Amethyst 734 wrote:

Yawn. Buy if you want power. Otherwise shut up and pay your rent. Car parks are serious stuff in Singapore with land prices. I can see the day coming when they decoupled from the condo strata and managed separately as an income producer.

Swn4
Regular
Regular

Post by Swn4 » Tue, 02 Nov 2021 5:00 pm

Amethyst 734 wrote:
Swn4 wrote:
Sun, 17 Oct 2021 4:06 pm

At least u have a sheltered lot. I emailed to the management,feedback about the unpleasant experience I had with the condo manager. No reply from them at all. I supposed they see tenants as transparent and need not respond to any feedback. I would definitely not renew my lease and not recommend anyone to rent a unit there (garden at bishan)
A 2nd parking lot was on my list of must-haves when I was looking for apartments.