Singapore Expats

Couple that ran off with $32m

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Couple that ran off with $32m

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 31 Jul 2022 4:04 am

x9200 wrote:
Fri, 29 Jul 2022 5:10 pm
Timeline and the sequence of events:
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapo ... ol-2841536
In a couple of days, it would’ve been a month since they fled. I can’t imagine what the punishment will be when they are eventually caught.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 31 Jul 2022 6:16 pm

Did any of you read the article in the Sunday Times today from luxury goods retailers saying "Oh we are NOT like those two!". Pffft - a more shadier business than reselling used goods I can't think of - I mean they're basically an upmarket pawn shop.

Right now they're either hiding in a friends place or having the crap beat out them by criminals after their funds... I wonder where the container truck actually dropped them off at?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 31 Jul 2022 10:34 pm

I think about that too. Probably somewhere in Thailand where they got taken in by one of their criminal friends. If they can lay low in rural Thailand they might have a chance of staying hidden for quite a bit longer, without the downside is they wouldn’t be able to spend any of their “hard earned money” which would defeat the purpose of running away at all.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 01 Aug 2022 7:21 am

Rural Thailand would be a very different lifestyle.

rockstargirl

Post by rockstargirl » Wed, 03 Aug 2022 11:04 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 26 Jul 2022 4:09 am
PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 25 Jul 2022 10:34 am
The rumours are that they got unto Thailand but I find that doubtful unless they were smuggled into Thailand. It is not easy in either country to live without ID and if they show ID they are dead. I guess they must have access to money via nominee accounts but those nominees will be stealing the money now anyways.
Don’t think you can live anywhere in Asia without solid ID. They were almost definitely smuggled, or perhaps they bribed border control officials. Not like they don’t have the money to do so.
Actually I can think of a possible hypothetical scenario - I have known places in Asia with number of intruders living for extended duration (we are talking about years). Not all boarders within Asia are quite as secured or well protected due to natural/geo-political reasons and goods are easy to transfer. Also, lot of places are quite easier to bribe and live without any need of ID due to very same reasons (point 1: Intruders). Someone I knew from distant circle made majorly all cash purchase for necessities (Cigars to be precise as per my knowledge) even in a place where everything was observed theoretically since the person was a privacy freak. Even after considering all possibilities, just can't imagine how someone can continue to live surrounded by such people who themselves might be thieves except they are transacting in smaller amounts. Complete disaster.

moonshineQ

Post by moonshineQ » Fri, 05 Aug 2022 1:40 pm

shockingly shocking... and to get out of SG so quietly... its amazing...

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 11 Aug 2022 7:38 pm

They were found in a hotel in JB.

Seems Thai cops knew they were there. No explanation.
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapo ... ?cid=FBcna

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Thu, 11 Aug 2022 9:00 pm

Yes, caught! I thought they ended up in Thailand but so near JB ... probably no on wants to pick them up after the other 2 drivers got caught.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 12 Aug 2022 8:40 am

The general Internet view is that they were donned in by a Thai contact whom they'd spoken too.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 12 Aug 2022 10:13 am

PNGMK wrote:
Fri, 12 Aug 2022 8:40 am
The general Internet view is that they were donned in by a Thai contact whom they'd spoken too.
On the other hand, all it may take is a single login to a social media account including the ads tracing scripts and such. It requires some educated effort to stay under the radar.
Same applies to cell calls/texting. Even if they use in JB someone else mobile, a call from Thailand from her friend or family member can yield in enough clues narrowing down location by the BTS used in JB.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 12 Aug 2022 10:38 am

x9200 wrote:
Fri, 12 Aug 2022 10:13 am
PNGMK wrote:
On the other hand, all it may take is a single login to a social media account including the ads tracing scripts and such. It requires some educated effort to stay under the radar.
Same applies to cell calls/texting. Even if they use in JB someone else mobile, a call from Thailand from her friend or family member can yield in enough clues narrowing down location by the BTS used in JB.
Yep. They had the skills to rip people off but not to hide. General view is that they may have actually been low on accessible funds as well.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 17 Aug 2022 9:30 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 01 Aug 2022 7:21 am
Rural Thailand would be a very different lifestyle.
Definitely, wouldn’t have been enjoyable since there would be nothing to spend the money on anyway.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 17 Aug 2022 9:35 pm

rockstargirl wrote:
Wed, 03 Aug 2022 11:04 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 26 Jul 2022 4:09 am
PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 25 Jul 2022 10:34 am
The rumours are that they got unto Thailand but I find that doubtful unless they were smuggled into Thailand. It is not easy in either country to live without ID and if they show ID they are dead. I guess they must have access to money via nominee accounts but those nominees will be stealing the money now anyways.
Don’t think you can live anywhere in Asia without solid ID. They were almost definitely smuggled, or perhaps they bribed border control officials. Not like they don’t have the money to do so.
Actually I can think of a possible hypothetical scenario - I have known places in Asia with number of intruders living for extended duration (we are talking about years). Not all boarders within Asia are quite as secured or well protected due to natural/geo-political reasons and goods are easy to transfer. Also, lot of places are quite easier to bribe and live without any need of ID due to very same reasons (point 1: Intruders). Someone I knew from distant circle made majorly all cash purchase for necessities (Cigars to be precise as per my knowledge) even in a place where everything was observed theoretically since the person was a privacy freak. Even after considering all possibilities, just can't imagine how someone can continue to live surrounded by such people who themselves might be thieves except they are transacting in smaller amounts. Complete disaster.
Highly possible, though I think we’ll know more details now that they’ve been caught.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 17 Aug 2022 9:35 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Fri, 12 Aug 2022 10:38 am
x9200 wrote:
Fri, 12 Aug 2022 10:13 am
PNGMK wrote:
Yep. They had the skills to rip people off but not to hide. General view is that they may have actually been low on accessible funds as well.
Funds were probably frozen right away.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 17 Aug 2022 9:36 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Thu, 11 Aug 2022 7:38 pm
They were found in a hotel in JB.

Seems Thai cops knew they were there. No explanation.
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapo ... ?cid=FBcna
And a dingy one too, so clearly they weren’t living well.