Singapore Expats

Motorbike Care

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
skooch

Motorbike Care

Post by skooch » Mon, 30 Apr 2012 2:28 pm

Hi,I am new to biking and would like to ask about motorbike care and maintenance. Between the normal service intervals, what sort of things should I be doing to ensure everything continues to run well. For example, should I be using brake cleaners, chain cleaners ? If so, what is the best way to tackle these jobs ?
Any help would be appreciated.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 01 May 2012 1:46 pm

jewelnowfit wrote:hi,
you can search it to the google and there are tips in google on how will be going to do.
------------------------------------------------------
thank you
I thank you dearly for taking the time to register just to post THAT 'jewel' of knowledge.

Not quoting your sig so we don't perpetuate the spam.

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Motorbike Care

Post by curiousgeorge » Tue, 01 May 2012 8:16 pm

skooch wrote:Hi,I am new to biking and would like to ask about motorbike care and maintenance. Between the normal service intervals, what sort of things should I be doing to ensure everything continues to run well. For example, should I be using brake cleaners, chain cleaners ? If so, what is the best way to tackle these jobs ?
Any help would be appreciated.
Maintenance between service intervals is crucial to your safety and the well-bring of the bike.

First off, I would recommend to google and download a copy of the manual for your bike model. The manufacturer recommendations are usually a pretty good starting point.

Pre-Ride checks will include:
Tyres (pressure and punctures)
Chain tension and wear
Headlights/indicators/brake lights
Oil level
Brakes function

Regular Maintenance will include:
Oil level
Chain cleaning/lubing (if you have a chain!)
Cleaning of the bike
Lubing of cables, moving parts (careful not to get it on brakes!)
Brake fluid level/disc & pad condition
Checking the lateral movement in the wheels and handlebars (for worn bearings)

Additionally, the type of maintenance you do will depend on the type of bike you have the kind of riding you do. For instance, if you've brought a track-bike that you only ride on weekends, its not much good checking slick tyres for tread depth ;) But your pre-ride checks will be very comprehensive. If on the other hand you have a CB400 for daily commute, your emphasis will be on daily functioning. An off-road bike might need an oil change every time you ride it (and at least a hosing down), but not necessary on commuter bikes.

Do I check my tyre pressure every time I ride? No, but I will do it anytime I fill up. Do I look at the tyres every time before I get on the bike to see if they look flat? Yes. And I know my bike very well so I can easily tell when pressure is not right.

Lots of online guides to help you what to do, plenty of YouTube videos too. Bear in mind that some guys will tell you to do a full check before every ride, but daily riders might be more pragmatic and be more thorough when you fill up, for instance, or on weekends when you have more time.

As a newbie, being told to "check your chain"or "check your tyres" is probably not much use, if you have no frame of reference. Checking oil is different on different bikes...some require the bike to be cold, some to be hot (after riding a considerable distance), some upright, some on the side stand (all of them with the engine off ;)) Hence, your manufacturer handbook is a good starting place.

The best advice I would give is to head over to singaporebikes.com and read thru forums there.

Even better, look out for their ride-outs, they do kopi meets in the week, and rides to MY etc on weekends. Go out, get to know people who ride bikes, ask them to show you. Getting to know someone knowledgeable about bikes that you can ask when you have questions is worth its weight in gold.

Occasionally someone on singaporebikes will run an evening workshop to show people how to do basic tasks, like change oil or brake pads.

Even take your bike to someone you hope will become your regular mechanic...ask him when he is quiet and can he show you how to check the bike. Bike mechanics tend to be passionate about bikes and keen to pass on knowledge ;)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 02 May 2012 8:21 am

I am just an average commuter so from my perspective and depending on how much you travel...
- Check engine oil level and air pressure every 1-3 weeks.
- Look for some worrying signs like soft brake response, oil lamp staying longer on, unusual vibrations/noises, drop in bike accelerating performance etc.
- For all the rest follow recommendations of the manufacturer but for consumables (oil, filters, belts etc) do it more frequently than recommended (shorter the check/change frequency by 30%) - hot and humid weather takes its toll.

skooch

Post by skooch » Wed, 02 May 2012 1:40 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the great advice. I did find singaporebikes forum after I posted here and when I got no response I also posted there. I shouldn't have been so impatient !

I have a Aprilia RS4 125 and my commute to work is along the CTE and no more than 5km each way. This is monday to friday with the occasional ride at the weekends.

I have the first service coming up so will have a chat to the mechanic and ask some questions and hopefully they will let me watch what they do.

Thanks again for the great advice.

Dragobrat

Post by Dragobrat » Wed, 19 Sep 2012 7:03 pm

Hi, I would say -
Make sure the bike shop uses the exact correct grade/type of engine oil that is specified for your bike and FULL SYNTHETIC eng oil is worth it - you will have longer eng life, increased performance and longer service intervals.

Chain maintenance is always neglected but really its just a matter of coating the chain with the correct lubricant{many choices available} and keeping the chain adjusted properly. not too loose not too tight.

almost all Mbike maitenance could be done by yourself with some basic tools and basic knowledge/ training.

Is it popular their to put stone guard plastic on the front of motorbikes? example - 3M Venture Shield Stone Guard Film 24" Roll (PPF). To protect the front of the bike against stone chips and road tar spots from the road.